Amazon/DPD delivery issues - how do I get a refund?

iqoniq

My mum bought me something on Amazon using my account (no issue there) and had it set to be delivered to me. It appears DPD were the delivery company, and rather than find my house and deliver it there it's been dumped at the post office (I know they didn't try deliver it because it would have triggered the CCTV and there's nothing on there). I got the QR code from the DPD site, and when I took it to the post office they've said there's no delivery. I spoke to the manager and she said that while they do indeed take DPD deliveries for pick up the QR code wasn't valid.

I'm going in circles with Amazon and DPD support, who can actually see it on their systems, but are useless trying to sort a resolution (can't they just redeliver like Royal Mail does)? I'm now stuck with something which has been paid for stuck at the post office until Friday, and then I don't know what happens. Will it just be picked up, passed back to Amazon and they'll refund or will it be money lost, and I'll have to argue with the Amazon refund bots?

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

Just talk to Amazon, they're generally good and if first person can't help speak to their senior. Ignore DPD.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Agreed.

I get an Amazon delivery nearly every day (well, it seems like it!) and 99% are trouble free.

On the odd occasion that I've had to contact their Customer Services, they've been most helpful.

The only time it got a bit fraught was when they sent me the wrong Sat Nav.

They not only replaced it with the correct one but didn't take the wrong one back and even issued a refund as well!

It took quite a bit of sorting out when I informed them of their error as their computer system isn't programmed for such daft mistakes.

orange55

Agree also that we the live chat. No bots needed.

Davidc7230

My mum bought me something on Amazon using my account (no issue there) and had it set to be delivered to me. It appears DPD were the delivery company, and rather than find my house and deliver it there it's been dumped at the post office (I know they didn't try deliver it because it would have triggered the CCTV and there's nothing on there). I got the QR code from the DPD site, and when I took it to the post office they've said there's no delivery. I spoke to the manager and she said that while they do indeed take DPD deliveries for pick up the QR code wasn't valid.

I'm going in circles with Amazon and DPD support, who can actually see it on their systems, but are useless trying to sort a resolution (can't they just redeliver like Royal Mail does)? I'm now stuck with something which has been paid for stuck at the post office until Friday, and then I don't know what happens. Will it just be picked up, passed back to Amazon and they'll refund or will it be money lost, and I'll have to argue with the Amazon refund bots?

Unless it has changed during my time working for DPD, the ship-to-shop process is quite easy to go wrong and for the 23p per parcel handled I have no idea why the likes of Homebase/Habitat/Morrisons ever signed up for it.

What is meant to happen, the driver scans all the parcels meant for that stop to his gun, the store has an HHT gun and scans the same barcodes and then generates a QR Code, The driver scans the QR Code which is the proof of delivery. This should then notify the recipient that their parcel is ready for collection. It remains at the store for 10 working days before it is then scanned back as a return and returned to sender.

What often goes wrong esp with Amazon parcels is they have several barcodes on them and drivers who are not switched on will scan the wrong one which is not valid and causes problems, they then just end up skipping the stop leaving the parcels at the store and filling in a paper POD which is then entered manually by admin clerk upon their return to the depot, this means the parcels do not scan on the stores HHT even-though you've been given a QR Code.

As for customer service, the Amazon live chat is much more helpful than trying to get through to anyone at DPD. Amazon in my exp will issue a replacement quite quickly and hassle-free, whereas DPD will launch an 'investigation' into your parcel that involves interviewing the driver with the outcome being he has to retrieve the parcel/provide proof of delivery etc. If it cannot be resolved and it's deemed the driver has not followed the process (Left it safe when no one told them to etc) it will go to claims and the driver will be charged for the parcel.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Unless it has changed during my time working for DPD, the ship-to-shop process is quite easy to go wrong and for the 23p per parcel handled I have no idea why the likes of Homebase/Habitat/Morrisons ever signed up for it.
Footfall? It's not about to 23p, it's about what people might spend when they visit the store to drop off/collect their parcel.

DavidTW

What is meant to happen, the driver scans all the parcels meant for that stop to his gun, the store has an HHT gun and scans the same barcodes and then generates a QR Code, The driver scans the QR Code which is the proof of delivery. This should then notify the recipient that their parcel is ready for collection. It remains at the store for 10 working days before it is then scanned back as a return and returned to sender.

What often goes wrong esp with Amazon parcels is they have several barcodes on them and drivers who are not switched on will scan the wrong one which is not valid and causes problems, they then just end up skipping the stop leaving the parcels at the store and filling in a paper POD which is then entered manually by admin clerk upon their return to the depot, this means the parcels do not scan on the stores HHT even-though you've been given a QR Code.

As for customer service, the Amazon live chat is much more helpful than trying to get through to anyone at DPD. Amazon in my exp will issue a replacement quite quickly and hassle-free, whereas DPD will launch an 'investigation' into your parcel that involves interviewing the driver with the outcome being he has to retrieve the parcel/provide proof of delivery etc. If it cannot be resolved and it's deemed the driver has not followed the process (Left it safe when no one told them to etc) it will go to claims and the driver will be charged for the parcel.

I don't know how my experience fits in. Quite a while back (a few years ago) I arranged for a parcel to be delivered by DPD to the local Halfords (a pick up point) for me to collect. We had experienced a lot of issues with DPD so decided to try a pick up point instead. I received notification from Amazon my parcel was ready to collect but I did not receive any QR code from DPD. I couldn't get any sense from DPD and the parcel eventually was sent back to Amazon.

Amazon then resent it with another courier.

The weird bit is that about a year later I suddenly received the QR code from DPD for that parcel. No explanation, just the usual your parcel is ready for collection email with the QR code. No idea how that happened at such a late date.

iqoniq

My housemate had the QR code on her phone so went in yesterday (Wednesday) to see if there was anything else we could do, and it had turned up. The manager swore blind that it wasn't there on Tuesday, and she said occasionally they'll say they've dropped something off when it's either been lost or gone missing. The actual item was pretty small as well (skull shaped Pandora charm - I collect skulls, and no it's not as morbid as you may think), so I can kind of understand it getting stuck somewhere or something, but why not just say "it's gone walkabouts and if we don't find it within a few days we'll make it right"?

Anyway, at least I've got it now.

booyaka

Your "contract" is with Amazon, not DPD/post Office etc - Speak to amazon live chat - usually excellent.

Davidc7230

I don't know how my experience fits in. Quite a while back (a few years ago) I arranged for a parcel to be delivered by DPD to the local Halfords (a pick up point) for me to collect. We had experienced a lot of issues with DPD so decided to try a pick up point instead. I received notification from Amazon my parcel was ready to collect but I did not receive any QR code from DPD. I couldn't get any sense from DPD and the parcel eventually was sent back to Amazon.

Amazon then resent it with another courier.

The weird bit is that about a year later I suddenly received the QR code from DPD for that parcel. No explanation, just the usual your parcel is ready for collection email with the QR code. No idea how that happened at such a late date.

More than likely the parcel was on their system as being undelivered and someone at the depot decided to manually adjust the status of the parcel. During my time with DPD, the parcels from amazon usually made up the majority of issues given the mentioned multiple barcodes or the lack of a proper address which was not always the customer's fault.

Footfall? It's not about to 23p, it's about what people might spend when they visit the store to drop off/collect their parcel.

I understand that, but given the massive amount of time it takes up hardly seems worth it, a bit like Morrisons doing Deliveroo (seen how this is run first-hand and seriously the company take it, it's beyond a joke).

iqoniq

Your "contract" is with Amazon, not DPD/post Office etc - Speak to amazon live chat - usually excellent.
While the initial contract with the vendor is through Amazon, due to being the recipient of the package I do inherit 3rd party contract rights with DPD. To be fair to DPD, I've not known them to try and hide using the "our contract isn't with you" like Yodel and Herpmes do.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom