Amazon.com prepaid import duty question

Mark153

Established Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I ordered the Criterion "Qatsi Trilogy" on Blu from Amazon.com and opted to have the prepaid import deposit. Looking at the tracking information today I see the following:-

March 8, 2013 05:45:00 PM UK Completed customs clearance process
March 8, 2013 02:11:00 PM UK Initiated customs clearance process
March 7, 2013 12:57:37 PM US Departure Scan
March 7, 2013 03:02:58 AM Des Plaines IL US Shipment received by carrier

I was wondering does the 'Completed customs clearance' mean that it hasn't actually been charged, and if so how does one go about getting their deposit back?!

:lease:

I've had prepaid imports taken previously. After about 2 months my credit card was credited with the import fees that were never collected. I don't think that your tracking indicates that you have (or have not) been charged.

You haven't been charged, that's standard tracking info, when using the Expedited route.

Only reiterating what cottonpickers said. I often use Amazons import paid service, and often receive the amount back whe the goods aren't checked at customs. Great service in my experience and can mean much cheaper then using one of the other sites such as Movietyme or DVDWorldUSA.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Got the package through this morning and aside from the shipping labels I cannot see any evidence of a customs charge... so will watch this space and see if I get a refund.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Got the package through this morning and aside from the shipping labels I cannot see any evidence of a customs charge... so will watch this space and see if I get a refund.

I'd definately be interested to hear what happens. Please keep us posted.

Until this last Monday, I'd never encountered the Amazon.com Customs Pre-Pay service. I've used Amazon.com quite a lot in past years, but a lot less recently, as price differences haven't made it so worthwhile over Amazon.co.uk. I had (and still have) the Yes "Close to the Edge" Hybrid SACD on order from Amazon UK since mid-December - waiting patiently for it to ship, but the date keeps being moved. Last Monday I decided I'd place my order with Amazon US, and opted against the Customs Pre-Pay service.

Next week I'll probably find out if I've made a mistake or not! 99 times out of a 100, I've not been charged any Import/Duty/VAT cahrges on music ordered from the USA, and definately never from Amazon. There's always a first time!

Well that'll teach me perhaps. I got a Royal Mail card through the door yesterday stating that I had £11.92 fees to pay on a delivery.

This'll be my recent Amazon US order. That fee obvioulsy includes Royal Mail's £8.00 fee, and the total charges make this quite an expensive disc.

This is the first time in many years that I've been caught with charges from Amazon US.

It's definitely worth paying the extra few £ to pre pay the customs charge, you also get to track the package and much faster service. Usually I've had the money refunded anyway.

I actually don't mind the customs, it's £8 charge the robbing post office want for working out how much you owe that irks me!

I actually don't mind the customs, it's £8 charge the robbing post office want for working out how much you owe that irks me!

Yes the government screwed the nuts down on custom free from £18 to £15, but never do anything about the £8 which is totally ridiculous.

The cost of shipping on their air service is an absolute killer though, unless you're placing a really large order you'll find most titles are actually cheaper to buy as singles with the standard shipping. (For instance their recent Criterion flash sale with the likes of The Game & Rosemary's Baby going for around $17 a pop, adding a handful of these titles via airmail with the pre-paid VAT ended up costing me about £18-£20 a disc as opposed to ordering each film separately at £16.50 delivered & under the customs limit each)

I wouldn't dream of using their standard service, anymore. You don't know when items are going to arrive, the one week delivery window is well gone. Some items have taken a month. No thanks.

I wouldn't dream of using their standard service, anymore. You don't know when items are going to arrive, the one week delivery window is well gone. Some items have taken a month. No thanks.
A month doesn't sound bad, unless your doctor's given you 3 weeks to live.

Yeah I'd argue that the majority of titles shipped standard surface mail will turn up within a month and probably within two weeks, don't think I've ever had to wait a month personally for an Amazon order to arrive (although places like B&N you're guaranteed a month wait minimum). Either way though, the price is the bottom line for me, some people just have no patience at all, they need the product NOW NOW NOW! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom