Amazon.co.uk Rip Off?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Smeggor, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, I ordered some items, (Antenna plugs Etc) all small items which will go in a small jiffy bag. The total came to £10.63p. THE POST & PACKING came to £145.00. Luckily I cancelled the order. I contacted Amazon who said that their policy is now to charge p&p on each individual item. When I questioned them about their advertised rates, they said they are determined by “market forces”.

Anyone using Amazon.co.uk should check the total to be paid before paying. There is no comeback & apparently no way of getting your money back.

Or, like me, remove yourself from their database, & never use them again.

:mad:

2. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,983
    don't think there's been any change - always has been a delivery charge + per item charge

if total order value is £15+ then you can have free delivery

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    Typo in your post?

I don't see what is different though. They have always done this far as I'm awares. I have found free delivery over £15 to be in the main wholly reliable

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,025
    Are you sure about the £145 delivery fee?

Does it come with a free stripper?

5. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    Bloody marvellous company Amazon - by far the most reliable online store. The amount of times I've ordered something & just requested snail-mail or free supersaver & it's turned up the next day! :thumbsup:

Then the larger items, they actually phone you :eek: - "We can deliver between 7.30am & 9.00am sir" :eek:- no-one else does that, they make you sit around between 8am & 6pm for a 5.55pm delivery.:mad:

Great company! :thumbsup:

6. chief barker

chief barker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +949
    I couldn't agree more.

7. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Super Saver delivery ftw! Can't really fault Amazon, never had a problem with them (yet).

8. dognosh

dognosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    On eBay the trick to being at the top of a search, if the search is organised by cheapness, is to charge practically nothing and put the costs on the P&P
    It's always been like that.

Regards to Amazon, I don't use it often but when I searched for cheap HDMI cables I came across that trick too.
    HDMI cable 99p each , P&P £12 , but since the seller would put 3 in one bag I ended up with 3 cables for £15:smashin:

buyer beware

9. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The first order I placed was for £16 quid odd, expecting free delivery. When the postage came up at £167.00 I dropped the order to £10.63, expecting to pay £4.12p, the advertised rate. The company I ordered with have just sent me an e mail stating that Amazon set the postal rates, not them.

So, like I said, Amazon are ******s. Check before you click on the "pay" icon.

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,025
    Again, i refuse to believe £167 postage rates.

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    Well if it comes up for you like that, then obviously there is an error in the system and you should contact Amazon. Honestly people take things at face value still? :rolleyes:

12. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Anyone who believes that that sum is correct, contact me, I will collect and deliver for a fantastic 30% discount.......................;)

13. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I`ve just had an e mail from the sellers,
    iselectronics <[email protected]>
    Hi,
    I have contacted Amazon to ask if we can apply discount but unfortunately they say there is no way of doing so as shipping cost are set by Amazon. If you still wish to order via Amazon what we can do is refund you after the purchase. The total including shipping to a UK address by First class recorded post for 100 X coax plugs and 2 X coax splitters would be £75.
    Kind Regards,
    Sean

So I can now enjoy a good rate of postage eh. Suppose £75.00 is better than £145.00, NOT

I have been on to Amazon, yesterday & today. Different replies from each guy, all the same message though, its up to the seller to dictate postage. In complete contradiction to Isletronics replys. Whos lying?

14. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    Please provide a link to the item in question you wish to buy

I do find it suspicious you didn't do this in your OP but I am going along with it, though I remain suspicious of your postings

15. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I dont much care what you believe. I dont tell lies, & this post is designed to make others aware of Amazons postage policy, which, obviously you know nothing about. So, log onto Amazon, order goods from iselectronics & see what the postage is for yourself.

Link in previous post.

16. PrettyGreen

PrettyGreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smeggor, you're absolutely right. I tried ordering 30 coax splitters, came to £0.17p, p&p £68.50.

17. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Something is obviously wrong I agree, but trying to get Amazon to sort it out is a nightmare, no one can see how ridiculous the postage is. Quite a few people do click the "pay now" button expecting the postage to be correct, ie: The rate amazon state. At their rates I would retire rich next week.

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    Tried ordering 1gb usb drive, some RCA phono plugs and a digital camera separately direct from amazon, not marketplace

None of them have stupid pricing for postage. I still want a link to item in question

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,627
    Aha, I see the problem, the splitters from IS Electronics cost 1p (I assume the plugs are going to be the same), shipping is £1 per item plus £3 per shipment for delivery to mainland UK.

So one splitter should cost £4.01 delivered, 2 should be £5.02, 10 should be £13.10 and a 100 would be £104.

Amazon market place traders do not operate under amazon's own "over £15 free delivery rules" but have their own set of rules that you should be able to access by clicking on delivery rates on the item's description. And as you have discovered you generally get hit per item delivered. I agree with you that this is not very obvious at first glance.

Dave

20. dognosh

dognosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    like eBay, I believe sellers set the P&P rates as Amazon.
    Amazon setting the P&P rates would be totally unworkable, how do they know how much my costs would be ?:confused:
    I can post a Hard Disk for £3 all the way up to £50(insurance and guaranteed delivery by saturday morning and wrapped in gold:eek::D)

A link to this merchant would be nice

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    So this makes it the second thread by my reckoning ranting about Amazon when it is the marketplace sellers at fault?

The internet :rolleyes:

22. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I think this is a case where the vendor is putting the cost of the item into the P&P, rather than in the item itself (if you get what I mean)

A lot of ebay sellers also do that, so they don't have to pay commission on the item value.

So, look at the total price inc P&P, and divide it by the quantity, and then decide if the price per item is still fair.

I tried buying some adaptors from them that were 1p each. I would be surprised if the adaptors really were 1p, more like the £1 they charge for postage. But they only have to pay the commision to amazon on 1p, rather than £1

23. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Right, there is a difference, thanks for finding that out Dave, neither Amazon nor iselectronics said that, in fact, neither of them helped at all. It is confusing. When buying from Amazon you expect to use their postage rates, you dont expect there to be a completely different set of postage rates. Unless you know, you could be stung for a good few bob.

24. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :nono:

When I got to a companies website & buy something from their website, I expect to pay the postage rates advertised on that website.

If this is the second thread showing concerns about their trading policy then wouldnt you think it should be made clear to buyers, that postage rates differ?

25. PrettyGreen

PrettyGreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A seller has already said Amazon sets the rate, not them:

iselectronics <[email protected]>
    Hi,
    I have contacted Amazon to ask if we can apply discount but unfortunately they say there is no way of doing so as shipping cost are set by Amazon. If you still wish to order via Amazon what we can do is refund you after the purchase. The total including shipping to a UK address by First class recorded post for 100 X coax plugs and 2 X coax splitters would be £75.
    Kind Regards,
    Sean

So why do you keep having a go at the OP and asking for links to products etc? Do you work for Amazon?

26. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    That's a cheap shot that is wholly unnecessary. I think there is more of a case to suggest the OP works for the a competitor :rolleyes: My request for a link to the item which is conspicuous in its absence is obvious - so we can all see for ourselves. God forbid the OP do that and avoid 10 more pages of debating whether he is lying or not :rolleyes:

And marketplace sellers are third party sellers. They sell through amazon. Amazon handle the payment side but marketplace sellers are responsible for postage and packaging. All clearly explained on amazon's help section ;)

27. Smeggor

Smeggor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

I`m a retired soldier. I dont work for anyone. Read the posts, the link to the site has been posted. In my book here are only two responces to "rolleyes". One, the person is showing contempt for the previous comments. Two, the person is dead. The cheap "shot" m8, was yours.

28. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,627
    I do think Amazon should make it clearer when you are buying something from a marketplace trader rather than themselves, take a look at this page here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SWV...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189698474&sr=8-1

It's running through an Amazon shopping basket but you are buying it from and having it shippped by another company, so who's p&p terms are you under?

There is a link to delivery rates at the bottom of the page which eventually gets you here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/026-2479282-7027617?ie=UTF8&nodeId=502482

HTH

Dave (not connected with Amazon :))

29. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,627
  30. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    That's a c+p of the email not a link to the product. And the marketplace seller is mistaken as it is the marketplace sellers who set delivery rates. You pay an charge according to the individual seller

P.S. For "contempt" read more like incredulity ;) No need to get worked up. Do find it strange so many who have problems and post on forums are retired soldiers though. And are you posting for PrettyGreen now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.