Bargain Amazon Black Friday Blu Ray Box Set Sale

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
Is it just me or was this Black Friday really disappointing?

Garrett

Is it just me or was this Black Friday really disappointing?
Yes and Amazon which I normally see a couple of things for me had everything messed up some of the stuff had been there all week mixed in with early Prime members early access.

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
Yes and Amazon which I normally see a couple of things for me had everything messed up some of the stuff had been there all week mixed in with early Prime members early access.

Yeah, last year I picked up some genuine bargains but this year has been really dire, has the Black Friday feeling gone with retailers?

mikemag

Distinguished Member
The thrill of the Lightning Deal was definitely lacking for me this year. There were some reasonable reductions on the prices of boxsets but no fantastic bargains.

Garrett

Yeah, last year I picked up some genuine bargains but this year has been really dire, has the Black Friday feeling gone with retailers?
I dont know where I saw it here or on a newspaper site but it showed inside a shop, and in a shoping area 2014 and 2016 on black Friday, I take was shot round the same time and the 2014 looked like they were giving Free money away and the 2016 looked like someone just let a stinkbomb off.

Garrett

The thrill of the Lightning Deal was definitely lacking for me this year. There were some reasonable reductions on the prices of boxsets but no fantastic bargains.
A lot of UHD disc were down in price but still there now at the Fridays price and on a number of sites the same price.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
The best stuff was there well before the Friday. Friday itself was a non event.

Garrett

The best stuff was there well before the Friday. Friday itself was a non event.
I was going though the pages with my page reduced to about 75% which I normally have at 150% and getting like 25 items a page and I be going on a few pages and see the same item again mixed in with other stuff on an other page. :eek:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
What happens of Cyber Monday exactly?

Do we all have to wear silver trousers and pretend to be robots?

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
Gonna be grabbing Suits 1-3 from Amazon this evening. This was after seeing 1-5 DVD was reduced to £25 at various places. :p

A question regarding quite a few of the collections on that 20% off page. Back to the Future for example, how can these old films be available on blu-ray when they weren't filmed in anywhere near HD? Has anyone bought old films on blu-ray and noticed a significant increase in quality as opposed to DVD's?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
A question regarding quite a few of the collections on that 20% off page. Back to the Future for example, how can these old films be available on blu-ray when they weren't filmed in anywhere near HD?
These old films were filmed on 35mm film and thus have a native resolution higher than 'HD'.

NooBish AbbZ 92

Distinguished Member
ah so it was a case of VHS quality/storage holding them back?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Yes, storage and technology (ie restoration & scanning is also better now) as well as new codecs available on Blu-ray vs DVD (Mpeg2 is very inefficient).

Sarah7

Didn't make any Black Friday purchases from Amazon this year; the combination of postage charges and higher prices kept me away -- slightly worried about their packaging and returns service but Zavvi got most of my business plus 1 order each from Zoom and Simply Home Entertainment.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom