1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amazon-any good

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by barrykil, Feb 1, 2003.

1. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi just a quickie
    usually order music from play,cd wow but theres a few discs that i can only find at amazon, are they any good,do you keep orders below £18 for customs and what sort of time do they take to deliver? as they are doing free delivery upwards of£38.
    thanks for any info

2. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No probs at all with amazon. Always recieved my order when told, and well packaged.

3. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Barry, if you're talking about Amazon.co.uk (which I assume you are as you mention the free delivery over £38 offer), why are you worried about customs? :confused:

I use them all the time by the way - not always the cheapest (althogh I recently did a comparison with Play for a number of discs I wanted and Amazon were cheaper on 5 out of 6 that day!) but excellent order tracking, delivery and customer service in my experience. 1 Click shopping is a very dangerous thing though - sucks money off your credit card like nobody's business - far too easy to use!!! :)

Clive

4. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    cheers clive
    and yes your right my moneys getting sucked out my wallet left right & center :laugh:

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had loads of late orders from Amazon, have ordered there about 8 times now and had 4 delayed. One by 4 weeks. All with very poor communication from amazon, only once with any kind of an apology. I now look elsewhere before ordering with amazon.

6. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Alex, with respect, I don't think that 8 is "loads" of orders.

Just checked the number of items I've ordered (click on recommendations and you'll see a count of "items you own") - and it is 168.

Admitedly, out of the 168 there have been the occasional item where the expected delivery date has been incorrect - normally due to to the items release date going back. In each of these cases I've received an e-mail updating me of the situation, giving me the option to cancel the order.

Amazon has just about the most comprehensive order tracking system I've seen, with order confimation, change and dispatch e-mails all being promptly sent, and the ability to track on change your order on-line easily always available.

Compare this to Play for instance, where dispatch e-mails often arrive days after the item has been delivered, and I think that Amazon are doing pretty well.

Oh, and out of that 168 items, I've only ever received 2 incorrect orders (sorted out via e-mail in a day), never had anything go missing and never had anything arrive damaged.

Clive

P.S. No I don't work for them, but I'm sure I'm paying someones wages!

7. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    50% muck up rate is loads in my book. My mum and sister have had more than their share of late orders too, and a number of friends don't even bother with the place.

8. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am based in Dublin and have purchased from Amazon UK, Canada,USA, Germany and France (about 8 orders per month) for many years and cannot agree when you describe communication as poor ... at any stage you can logon and check the status of all your orders (past, current and pending) and they send regular updates.

The US postal service is hopeless so if you select this option it can take many weeks for a delivery to arrive but to get around this problem I usually try to buy from amazon.ca or amazon.de. Typically delivery from Canada by mail is less than ten days and delivery from Germany door to door is usually less than a week.

As the Pound Sterling is so over valued I do not buy from amazon.co.uk on a regular basis (also I do not buy anything other than books from them as they charge Irish VAT rather than local UK VAT) but is you are based in the UK buying in Canada the USA or Germany must be very attractive ... Germany is especially attractive as they charge German VAT rather than UK VAT.

Generally I avoid Amazon in France as their carriage charges are excessive and also they charge the VAT rate which applies to the destination country rather than the source country).

If you do not have the patience you can always pay for courier delivery (from USA or Canada) but you run a greater risk of being stuck for VAT and other charges.

9. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using Amazon for over eighteen months and have never had a delivery problem.

Only problem is that they don't state what format the SACD releases are in. e.g Multichannel or hybrid etc.

10. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Alex, if it's so bad, why do you still order anything from Amazon at all! :)

Seriously, you've obviously just been unlucky - 50% of your very small sample, compared to all the orders that myself, Phil, Infomatique and Mrprelude have made isn't really representative.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convert you to Amazon, not the point of this thread - just trying to keep the view balanced :smoke:

11. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I made that mistake ... I purchased a few items thinking that they were MC.

In Germany they described some items as DVD AUDIO when in fact they were Audio DVDS.

12. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Still purchase there because sometimes I just cannot get things elsewhere (studenty books). Fair enough, when they get it right they do get it right; it's a company I would really like to like.

Amazon must not like me.

13. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    1st time i`ve ordered some discs from them, see how i go