Amazingly Poor Processor Review in Hi Fi News

C

Charlie Whitehouse

CJ,

It seems like you think I was having a go at you. Believe me, I'm not! I have great respect for your views on external DACs and the like. As you pointed out, what I find hard to take is "the people who know what's best for everyone else" brigade.

If you notice, I said that GOOD multi-channel CAN be enjoyable too. I too prefer to listen to most of my music in pure stereo. For some of my choral and organ music, it can also add some 'ambience' to engage Circle Surround. Good, flexible bass management and a decent sub can also improve both. But there are a few multi-channel music mixes that I also like - I don't have many. The Eagles HFO, loses much of its 'you are there' feel if you down mix it to 2-channel. Similarly, Roy Orbison B&W Night. There are some good classical mixes as well that have a nice enveloping ambience.

Like I said, I don't have room for two separate systems, so I had to compromise to some extent by using an AV processor, albeit a superb and costly one in the Theta Casablanca 2. Believe me, this unit in pure stereo will rival many dedicated 2-channel high-end Dac/pre-amp combos. What a pity none of the UK magazines have seen fit to review it properly, either HiFi or AV ones. The only UK review that I ever saw was for the original Casablanca in HFN by none other than our friend KK!! And what do you know, he LOVED it, it was THAT good!, if he had £10,000 he was going to BUY it! Except he then went and bought an MC1 and sang the praises of that above all else. What can you do?! :(

Thanks for the link to the HFC discussion. I will have a read tonight when I have a few hours to kill! I don't think I can contribute very much though since I confess I have never listened to either DVD-A or SACD, stereo or multi-channel. I have steadfastly refused to listen to either until there is a digital interface available. Meanwhile they can carry on slugging it out as far as I am concerned. Since some here have expressed regret at being early adopters, I prefer to bide my time and wait for something really good to come along.

All IMHO of course, also. ;)

CJROSS

Hey Charlie, I think we are at the same juncture dude (all crosstalk being due to the joys of internet opinion) especially about determinists be those “hifi is best” or “AV/MC is best” determinists, I think there are some very interesting posters on this forum with Hifi & AV at heart, that give this board a real cutting edge : Yourself, Nic & Gordon to name a few. I have no problem with anyone who likes either format whatever you listen to for your hifi enjoyment be it off a : Tivoli one, SACD/DVD Audio player or a CD12. I sort of thought I would raise some hackles on this forum by sticking up for HFN : I did this purely on a hifi front as that is what the mag is about (I do realise that the review is curtailed BTW) I realise that dudes like you would know that I meant no ill feeling to the AV community (Hell I run my DAC off a lovely DVD transport).

BTW dont mention that word to me (Theta) Im still harbouring hope of one day having a DAVID as my DVD/CD Transport. I would hardly say using a Casablanca is compromise you are paying for a product that is at the top of the MC side of things, were great attention has been payed into getting the best 2 Channel performance out as well (At a financial cost I would add). BTW I share your reticence about SACD/DVDA as formats, I was stung as an earlty adopter of the 24/96 DAD bubble hence the 717 as a transport into a true 24/96 DAC luckily for me it also played redbook CDs to a very nice level. Speaking of biding your time till something nice comes along, for me it was the HDCD decoder in the DAC 20

One inetresting point to watch out for in future, I predict a lot of current entry level Naim CDPs will be adopting the AV2 as the processing unit of DVD transports, when they comes to upgrade their CDPs in future, Gives them the best of both worlds, Mulitchannel music & as CD DAC in its own right.

All IMHO of course.

C

Charlie Whitehouse

Im still harbouring hope of one day having a DAVID as my DVD/CD Transport.
You'd better get in quick then, because rumour has it they are no longer manufacturing it, so when the current stock is gone, that's it! Same is true for the Voyager. They are concentrating on the Carmen II from now on. However, I don't doubt that there will be another top of the range transport before long, perhaps that is DVDA and SACD capable too. Here's hoping! ;)

Nic Rhodes

Originally posted by Dolby
I dont beleive there is a AV processor currently available that is as good for music as it is for films (maybe except for the lexicon MC12).
There are but you have to look for them

Tag certainly and Theta as well. You can probably add Meridian to this list as well. Sorry Lexicon fans, Bryston fans etc. You might be great AV processors but...... I think the killer difference is the source. The Tag and Theta DVD players. Anyone want to tell me the David2 and DVD32 aren't musical? ;)

There are many fanatic audiophiles out there that have settled on this kit. :) but I am just a meer beekeeper :D

CJROSS

Originally posted by The Beekeeper
There are many fanatic audiophiles out there that have settled on this kit. :) but I am just a meer beekeeper :D
There are many fanatic audiophiles out there that have settled on this kit. :) And even more that have settled earlier predecessors of this kit like the TAG DAC 20 too ;) ;) ;)

BTW I heard a top of the range Krell AV system into Sonus Faber Cremona 5.1 set up and Im more impressed at what my lil ole TAG DAC 20 does downmixing to stereo from 5.1 48Khz soundtracks when listening to bog standard DVD-V 5.1 music mixes, more involving, more flow to the music. Impressive of course but for the cost there are better alternatives IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom