1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dangerous, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this forum is quite amazing. As a forum dedicated to HCPC and listed under Tech talk you would think that there might be a reasonable amount of people using it that have some technical knowledge as to the ideal components to be used in such a system. That appears not to be the case. I reached that opinion based on the fact that I have made three seperate requests for information on the subject, 99 people have viewed the post and not one person has made a suggestion. I think I'll go back to the Projector forum at least people answer your posts!

Good bye!

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    Well it could be that your request has been covered a few times before and people don't want to repeat themselves.
    Radeon VE, Forissimo II, Windows ME, Pentium 700+ or similar Athlon, PC Chips MB. 256 meg of ram, 7200 rpm HDD, Airboard IR keyboard & mouse combi, Pioneer 106s DVD ROM drive.
    Other threads cover black cases though I don't think it's worth the hassle.
    Software is also covered elsewhere.

Ok?

3. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that post might get a reply. Thanks for your help. It really is appreciated.
    Dave

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Well done Dangerous

I've been wondering (for the last few days) how you would get a response. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Your solution was to get all huffed and agressive, my solution was to start crying and come across all pathetic and helpless...

Conor

6. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Mark for the link. A superb site. I have read it but it will take time to absorb all that info before asking more questions And conor thank you for the encouragement, sometimes you need to rattle cages to wake up the occupants. When a newbie to any forum asks a basic question I think people should help that person and encourage them, the same question may well have been asked several times before but ignoring them won't help the forum develop.

Dave

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Hang around here long enough we'll teach you how to ignore newbies too :)

I think the problem here is the fact that very few members actually have an HTPC setup. I know plenty about computers but without a projector I'm normaly unable to give advice on an HTPC setup.

I'll chip in if I think I can really help but it's not that often.

8. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yes - and some of those that do are still going through teething problems, haven't got to where we're happy with the 'whole', or are basing our spec on those of other forum members and therefore don't want to present their setups as their own idea!

My spec list can be found on my website SEVENFOOTFILM It is heavily derived from xcel's 'best in class' post as mentioned before.

I've only just got the projector today and will report back as soon as I think it's all stable.

Things I would change if I could have afforded it would be the soundcard to a m-audio, graphics card to a genuine ATI and the capture card to a Falcon. This would have cost me about an extra £200 but I'm sure would be giving me less headaches!]

Everything else is tried and tested HCPC gear - and rightly so!

Have fun!
    Alex