Amazing Sales improvement at amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the Paramount/Dreamworks switch and along with an amazingly good deal on the Toshiba Player (8 discs and the A2 for $210, if only it were the same here) the sales of HD-DVD players and movies has shot through the roof in America.

The A2 player has had a 5400% increase (not exactly sure what that means on amazon, I can't belive it's increased 54x) and has moved up to the number 1 selling DVD player and amazon and even more impressivly the number 1 selling electrical item.

From a long way behind the top 10, top 25 and top 50 HD-DVD's are all now outselling the top 10, top 25 and top 50 blu-rays. Blu-ray still leads when you compare the top 100 of each format.

history.aspx

Going to be interesting to see if HD-DVD can keep up this momentum.

Wish we could get a deal like that in the UK :(

amazon are bundling three HD DVD disks with Toshiba HD DVD players - see here.

The three bundled disks will count as sales, whereas the five rebate disks will not. We can expect a significant rise in HD DVD players over the next few weeks before the 3rd gen players are released.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Crikey, i wouldn't care about Multi Region SD-DVD at that price/deal!!!!

There are also 8 free disks with the 360 addon and the PS3. This explains why sales of both formats have gone crazy on amazon. The HD DVD sales appear to be gaining the most, probably because the price of the players is much less.

Absolutely Incredible Deal.

Over on AVS, they've all been ordering HD DVD's (and BR) like mad in the Amazon (US) Buy 2 get 1 free (selected titles) offer.

HD DVD Charts are going crazy lol:rotfl:

Oh for Amazon to do a software Deal like that over here:rolleyes:

Toshiba and Co. need to keep up the momentum with offers like this at the minute.

It appears that over on the AVS Forums the Blu Ray brigade are organising a "Buy A Warner Blu Ray" day in order to try to influence any decision that WB may or may not be coming to.

The HD-DVD version of 300 just hit number 2 in DVD's at amazon. The highest ever placeing for any high def title. Blu-ray previously had the record with a 3rd place again with 300.

Huge day for HD-DVD sales this, almost certainly the biggest ever. Just a shame that all this won't show in the Neilson numbers as Amazon and Walmart sales aren't counted.

The HDA2 is No 1 in electronics sales in Amazon. Recently it was vying with the Oppo 981 which is presently at No 52. Just shows how dramatically sales have increased with this offer. The 360 addon has also jumped significantly, as also the PS3 which is no the No 1 selling games item.

If the above post isn't trolling I don't know what is:rolleyes:

Its a serious point. These players cant be making the manufacturers any real profit yet as the market is so tiny - so giving them away effectively must be a major loss. So how long can they continue with that sort of strategy?

Apologies if this quite obvious analysis of the situation offends.

The Chinese aren't in it to lose money, lets see what price they are.

It appears that over on the AVS Forums the Blu Ray brigade are organising a "Buy A Warner Blu Ray" day in order to try to influence any decision that WB may or may not be coming to.

Those crazies on that board (both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD "fans") have to be seen to be believed. The HD-DVD brigade were encouraging members to buy an HD disc which they "were not considering purchasing, so as to show our gratitude to Paramount". :rotfl:

Its a serious point. These players cant be making the manufacturers any real profit yet as the market is so tiny - so giving them away effectively must be a major loss. So how long can they continue with that sort of strategy?

Desperation?

No, it is very clever marketing. Toshiba is about to release it's 3rd gen players. They are selling out their remaining stocks of gen 2.

They are also capitalising on recent improvements on their studio situation having bagged one of the largest exclusively.

It is not in anyway desperation.

Besides it seems to be working rather well.

When my US PS3 arrived it came with a book of movie rebate tokens - I didn't hear anyone crying desperation then.

Didn't you mean to say:

Apologies if this quite obviously wrong analysis of the situation offends.

How can you know whether they're losing or making money? :confused:

Unless you're privy to Toshiba's Bill of Materials figures you cannot know either way.

However two things are likely.

Firstly the Optical Pickup used by Toshiba is going to be cheaper than that used in any BD player and secondly Toshiba enjoys economies of scale for their HD-DVD units greater than those for any BD standalone manufacturer.

Toshiba might be doing it to kill off blu-ray. Then Toshiba will be selling their players for years to come.

Toshiba might be doing it to kill off blu-ray. Then Toshiba will be selling their players for years to come.

The market is way to small for this offer to make any real dent.

Its common sense that they are losing money.

Also as for 'clever marketing' lol - anything will sell if you virtually give it away. Lets see them push volume without this sort of gimmick.

To outsell the number of BD players out there using this offer would bankrupt Toshiba.

The Gen 3 players are almost certainly a lot cheaper to make, the quicker they get the Gen 2's sold the better for them.

The market is way to small for this offer to make any real dent.

Its common sense that they are losing money.

Also as for 'clever marketing' lol - anything will sell if you virtually give it away. Lets see them push volume without this sort of gimmick.

The market is now larger than VHS and growing isn't it? Not bad for what is still a new product.

Didn't Sony admit to be losing money on the PS3 too?

I have no idea whether Toshiba are losing money or making it. Or whether they will make money in the future. Neither do I care I don't own shares in Toshiba but I am a consumer. If it means I can have one in the bedroom too then great.

I'd be quite happy to have a PS3 if they reach the stage of 'giving them away' too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom