Amazing Prime says ‘HDR’ but movies are in SDR

TolgaB

Novice Member
Reaction score
Amazon Prime says ‘HDR’ but content is SDR.

Hello, y’all.

I have Amazon Prime and movies such as Alita and Tenet have an HDR tag - but when i click on the movie it’s SDR.

Is this just some form of lie to make people think it’s HDR or... is there like a way to enable it. I would absolutely love to watch Tenet in HDR or Dolby Vision instead of SDR.

Would love some info about this.

Hello, y’all.

I have Amazon Prime and movies such as Alita and Tenet have an HDR tag - but when i click on the movie it’s SDR.

Is this just some form of lie to make people think it’s HDR or... is there like a way to enable it. I would absolutely love to watch Tenet in HDR or Dolby Vision instead of SDR.

Hi @TolgaB
welcome to the site. Can i ask wha TV you have

OP: Are you by any chance seeing a blurry, smeary picture as well? There have been reports of buffering and poor picture quality on Amazon Video when streaming 4K HDR material.

I think there was an issue with samsung TVs.
Dont know about LGs
Works fine on my Sony XF 9005

Hello, y’all.

I watched Tenet on a 4K Blu ray - either DV or HDR, can't remember. It was still a load of bollox on stilts.

OP: Are you by any chance seeing a blurry, smeary picture as well? There have been reports of buffering and poor picture quality on Amazon Video when streaming 4K HDR material.
The PQ isn’t that good - mainly because it’s SDR and probably not even 4K.

I have a case open with Amazon about this. 4K HDR streaming starts and continues as a smeary mess. I’ve found some other Amazon users with the same problem.

Unless I'm going mad and simply cannot find it, Tenet doesn't appear to be available on Prime in 4K/HDR (well, in the UK at least), so perhaps that might explain the issue with that particular film?

There's very little unification between different Amazon Prime apps on different platforms - it's very messy. I think I have access to four different versions across different devices. On a couple of them you have to specifically search for the UHD/HDR version of a movie if you want it in that format. If you click the tile on the home screen for example, it'll just play the HD version and won't automatically switch up to the UHD/HDR version.
The Prime app on my 4K Firestick however, which recently updated to the new FireTV software, seems to now automatically select the highest resolution possible without having to search. It switches to the correct frame rate and HDR format automatically too.
I can't say I've ever really had a problem with image quality on any Prime UHD HDR content on any device though. The 4K Firestick probably produces the best quality overall - Dolby Vision and HDR10+ content look great. I just had a quick look at Sound Of Metal in UHD with HDR10+ on the Samsung TV app in my office and that looked terrific. It had a nice level of film grain visible on the image as it was shot on 35mm.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom