• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Amazing HD Content.

H

HDPio

Just watched '300' which i download from the Xbox Live Market Place, watched it through the component cable but had to wire the audio through the scart (don't ask). 720p, the picture quality on my 507XD was superb, everything was crystal clear with a perfect frame-rate. 5.19GB :eek: Filesize but definitely worth it.

:clap::clap:

Their still using 8mb/s bitrate to encode right?, watching it on a 1680*1050 display or higher and you start to see the pixelation.... if you have a Blu-ray player you can rent it from blockbuster for the same price, 3 x the bitrate though and uncompressed audio, while the video downlaod are a good idea, the prices they charge are just not justified, did you get for for 99P?

clarky78

Established Member
exatly how much is 580 points in real money. I have never bought anything from marketplace, simply because Microsoft dont make it clear anywhere what a gamerpoint is worth!

Gary D

Distinguished Member
exatly how much is 580 points in real money. I have never bought anything from marketplace, simply because Microsoft dont make it clear anywhere what a gamerpoint is worth!

when you buy gamerpoints it tells you. £4.25 for 500 - maybe if you'd bought some you'd have seen the screen that comes up. ;)

H

HDPio

I agree about the quality, it is excellent.

The film on the other hand is total garbage:mad:

No it wasn't except i got ****** off about the slag who gets around alot and all we ever saw of her was her shagging someone even though she had kids and a husband. Other than that i would rate the film 7.8/10 due to the incredible fight scenes.

Gary D

Distinguished Member
No it wasn't except i got ****** off about the slag who gets around alot and all we ever saw of her was her shagging someone even though she had kids and a husband. Other than that i would rate the film 7.8/10 due to the incredible fight scenes.

for me to give a film that high a mark it would require little things like a script that wasn't from the back of a fag packet and some direction would have been nice - oh and some acting.

D

Deleted member 380232

I watched this on HD DVD on the 360 then got it when it was cheap on the marketplace.

Picture quality was slightly worse on the download but only noticeable because I watched both.

Sound quality was also worse. The download was in Stereo but the DVD was in 5.1

As most people seem to say, it's seems a bit expensive at full price but probably comparable with Sky Box Office prices which have similar media rights but better quality.

SKY Movies HD is definitely proving to be the best and most cost effective way of watching HD movies for me. :thumbsup:

H

HDPio

Really? I don't understand how a disk can beat HDD ? I am not too fussed about the sound (yet) as we are looking into a surround sound.

H

HDPio

Right, i understand now.

But i have never noticed a difference between 1080 and 720 ?

kopchoir

Banned
totally off topic but when are you getting the message to change your gamercard from m$

Beezlebozo

Standard Member
I just watched the I Am Legend HD trailer from the marketplace, having just purchased a 32" 720p TV, and close up the image is certainly more detailed and sharper, but from a normal viewing distance I'm really hard pressed to see the difference from a SD DVD image.

I really think TV size is a major factor, anything 32" and under and you'll struggle to spot the difference between HD & upscaled SD DVD, 37"-42" and 720p will start to show it's worth, and 50"+ you'll probably see the benefit of 1080p.

I was thinking of buying a PS3 or Blu-ray player, but having seen a 720p video in action, I can't really justify the £300 price tag and then paying double for the DVDs.

kopchoir

Banned
totally off topic but when are you getting the message to change your gamercard from m$

in fact i know its only a joke and thats not what yu really think but i actually find your gamertag really really offensive anychance you could turn it off :lease:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member

kopchoir

Banned
someones gamertag picture was deemed offensive,thats what the above post is referring to.

i just found it a tad offensive thats all wasnt getting on the ops back just thought it was a little sensitive to and a nice ask to turn it off :smashin:

Mattk84

Banned
for me to give a film that high a mark it would require little things like a script that wasn't from the back of a fag packet and some direction would have been nice - oh and some acting.

I think you missed the point of the film. it was based on a frank miller graphic novel and never pretended to be anything more, so the script at best is always going to be limited as it stays as true to the GN as it can. the direction also has to follow the same style. I thought the fight scenes were amazing and handled as best as they could be for a graphic novel to big screen conversion. If you read the GN you would see just how close it is.

That said the film is only an average one imho and i would score it 7/10.

mascot

Established Member
I think you missed the point of the film. it was based on a frank miller graphic novel and never pretended to be anything more, so the script at best is always going to be limited as it stays as true to the GN as it can. the direction also has to follow the same style. I thought the fight scenes were amazing and handled as best as they could be for a graphic novel to big screen conversion. If you read the GN you would see just how close it is.

Absolutely - it's a piece of art as much as a feature film. I disagree with your 7/10 though - I think 300 is a stunning visual treat, and an excellent example of modern stylised cinematography. I won't be downloading from the MS movie service again though - 300 in 720p was a bargain for 100 points, but the sound was only stereo and was littered with annoying high-pitched glitches, like static on an old vinyl record. Not too happy about having to delete a lot of content to get it on my HD, either.

Gary D

Distinguished Member
If someone is going to make a film a then i expect a script (i dont care what the source is - spiderman and superman are based on comics but they had scripts as did Sin City) i would also expect some acting rather than the oiled up peices of wood that graced the screen. 300 was nothing more than a 90 minute music video that looked like a 90 minute music video filmed on blue screen - it never managed to escape its filmed on blue screen look. Sorry but it takes more than slow motion homo-erotic sword play with phallic objects to make a decent film - that's only my opinion of course.

i pray to god that that blue screen technique isn't the future of movies.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom