amazing , cancel every 3 months get an offer

nokia3650man

Standard Member
hi phoned up to cancel sky today , usual c**p sales talk , then said ok will give half price offer for 3 months £21.50 instead of £43.00 , ok i said then maybe i'll cancel every 3 months then , thats ok cos we always have an offer of somekind , so be on the ball on the 2nd month phone up to cancel (cos u have to give 1 months notice ) great thats £64.50 in my pocket instead of sky,s pocket:)

Nick_UK

Banned
Only problem with that - Sky keep customer history notes, so one day when you say you want to cancel, they will take you at your word and cancel you with no arguments or offers.

Jaycee Dove

And what annoys me is that Sky actually encourage dishonesty and cheating in this way.

Stay a loyal customer paying Sky the earth for a zillion years and they give you a bag of sweeties and a tin badge.

Moan, whine, say you will quit, con your way through endless phone calls and they will reward you with lots of money and special offers.

I am not aiming this at anyone. I dont really blame them for blagging when they know how easy it is because of Sky's desperation not to lose a customer...but I am rather disgusted that Sky do this and never, ever give any decent rewards for loyalty.

I think that actually says rather a lot about the mind set of the company.

Waveform

Jaycee Dove said:
And what annoys me is that Sky actually encourage dishonesty and cheating in this way.

Stay a loyal customer paying Sky the earth for a zillion years and they give you a bag of sweeties and a tin badge.

Moan, whine, say you will quit, con your way through endless phone calls and they will reward you with lots of money and special offers.

I am not aiming this at anyone. I dont really blame them for blagging when they know how easy it is because of Sky's desperation not to lose a customer...but I am rather disgusted that Sky do this and never, ever give any decent rewards for loyalty.

couldn't agree more, even as someone who did this on regular basis I got to the point where I thought "I shouldn't have to do this to get a decent price" and just plain cancelled. I've noticed that the offers have got steadily better over the last 18 months to the point where they are currently offering upto 6months half price or even 12 months at ~20% off - I think that tells you something..
I can understand why, from a financial perspective, they just want to target the portion of their users with a tendency to "churn" with the reduced prices but there's going to come a day when there will be a backlash about this.

nokia3650man

Standard Member
i do agree with u , i,ve been a loyal customer for 12 years now i can't justify £43.50 pm / but if they come up with a offer . all it will is a stay of execution , cos i will cancel later

pjclark1

Yep, I'm on 6 months for £7.50 a month.
When the 6 months is up I will do it again, do I care if they really do cancel?
Not a bit, they'll be on the phone a few weeks later with a "come back" offer.

If they don't, I can live without it.
I don't understand how I am "blagging", I don't want to pay full price, and I won't.

ijd

Trouble is with getting all these offers, means the price goes up for the rest of us,These offer scroungers are little better than beggars , wonder if they pay Car tax as well:eek: :eek: :eek: :suicide:

gavan

ijd said:
Trouble is with getting all these offers, means the price goes up for the rest of us,These offer scroungers are little better than beggars , wonder if they pay Car tax as well:eek: :eek: :eek: :suicide:

Rubbish - Sky charge as much as they can get away with - period. In a properly functioning market place, competition would keep the price down. With the near-monopoly that they have, they simply will push the limits until you refuse to take their service.

At this point, having lost your custom anyway, they'll see if you can be retained by charging you less for a short period of time.

If you're sitting there thinking you're being charged too much, phone up and cancel. Then you'll see their 'best offer' which they don't normally have to give you due to complete lack of competition in the UK DSAT market.

If you're not actually prepared to cancel, then don't whinge about the price since you're obviously OK with paying it.

Gav

Clatter

Jaycee Dove said:

Where do you get the sweets and tin badge? I didnt even get that.

nokia3650man

Standard Member
ijd said:
i find your comments a little bit insulting , CAR TAX is non negotitable. if you don't have you get fined :mad:sky is optionable ...

Nick_UK

Banned
True, a little insulting. However, I wonder if people who are prepared to hang on to the phone to Sky for hours and haggle to get a few quid knocked off their bills don't have better things to do with their time ?

ijd

oh calm down chicks, only having a bit of fun,ruffle a few feathers and the hens take to flight,dear oh dear,
im just waiting till i am eligable to cancel agian to get my next FEATURED BARGAIN, its human nature to get a deal no matter how it is arrived at, everybody moans about sky,purely because the competition is rubbish therefore leaving no alternative if you want a real choice of programmes albeit a little limited, but there is a system with sky that can be worked.
Thought the smileys may of been a bit of a hint thta humor was intended:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Capiche
and those who find my coments insulting,should perhaps be a little less sensative, this is after all a forum,sometimes people will disagree,thats what makes things interesting.if you want everyone on your side then i suggest you join a club

pjclark1

Nick_UK said:
I wonder if people who are prepared to hang on to the phone to Sky for hours and haggle to get a few quid knocked off their bills don't have better things to do with their time ?

Last time I haggled it took me 15mins, my bill went down from £21 to £7.50 a month. That works out at £81 saving for 15 mins work.

Can you suggest a more profitable use for that 15 minutes??

limegreenzx

Banned
What I'm really disappointed with is that so many people are happy with the latest increase. I've only been a Sky customer for 16 Months. In that time my subscription has gone up from £30/month to £37/month. I'm not going to put up with a 20% increase. So I tried to cancel, I got an offer and I'm happy to stay a customer (50% for 3 months). In 3 months time I'll try and cancel again. I was on the phone for under 5 minutes.

The difference between me and "loyal" customers is that I have put a lower value on the service I receive from Sky. Do you "loyal" customers honestly believe that Sky would reduce their price if it wasn't for us scroungers.

ShaunIOW

I did cancel Sky in June as I couldn't afford it (£45pm for 4 mixes + movies + multiroom) and had been with Sky since 1990, but Dad has missed it and wanted it back (disabled and hardly goes out) and said he'd pay most of it, so I phoned Sky on Sunday to see what they could offer to come back and they gave 50% off for 3 month's - 4 mixes + movies + sport + multi-room for £31.75pm so I guess I'll be calling again at the end of September to see whats next.

gavan

limegreenzx said:
What I'm really disappointed with is that so many people are happy with the latest increase. I've only been a Sky customer for 16 Months. In that time my subscription has gone up from £30/month to £37/month. I'm not going to put up with a 20% increase. So I tried to cancel, I got an offer and I'm happy to stay a customer (50% for 3 months). In 3 months time I'll try and cancel again. I was on the phone for under 5 minutes.

The difference between me and "loyal" customers is that I have put a lower value on the service I receive from Sky. Do you "loyal" customers honestly believe that Sky would reduce their price if it wasn't for us scroungers.

Sssshhhhh now. Those nice folks at Sky are just taking us to the cleaners so that they can deliver profits for their lovely shareholders. Be a good serf and pay anything they ask.

Gav

Jaycee Dove

The sweets (love hearts!) came last year and the tin badge this year. Both were with strings - ie they wanted me to recruit friends as new customers (for which these 'gifts' were thank yous!). The offer to the friends whom I was asked to recruit were for money off subs and equipment. So it was effectively Sky saying: Loyal, huge money payer we want you to do our job and sign up new customers and they will really love you because if they join we will give them a super deal. As for you, well heres a tin badge.

I know Sky are a business and dont object to them offering cheap offers to new customers but this approach via a long standing customer seems so incredibly tactless as to be almost asking for us to regard Sky with disdain.

Nick_UK

Banned
gavan said:
Sssshhhhh now. Those nice folks at Sky are just taking us to the cleaners so that they can deliver profits for their lovely shareholders. Be a good serf and pay anything they ask.

Gav

You know, you've been saying that for as long as I've been on these forums, and you're still paying.

gavan

Nick_UK said:
You know, you've been saying that for as long as I've been on these forums, and you're still paying.

I'm surprised you missed my thread where I state I'm quitting at the end of September.

Gav

Nick_UK

Banned
gavan said:
I'm surprised you missed my thread where I state I'm quitting at the end of September.

No, I didn't miss it - you've been saying that you're quitting for quite a long time now :)

nokia3650man

Standard Member
ijd said:
oh calm down chicks, only having a bit of fun,ruffle a few feathers and the hens take to flight,dear oh dear,
im just waiting till i am eligable to cancel agian to get my next FEATURED BARGAIN, its human nature to get a deal no matter how it is arrived at, everybody moans about sky,purely because the competition is rubbish therefore leaving no alternative if you want a real choice of programmes albeit a little limited, but there is a system with sky that can be worked.
Thought the smileys may of been a bit of a hint thta humor was intended:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Capiche
and those who find my coments insulting,should perhaps be a little less sensative, this is after all a forum,sometimes people will disagree,thats what makes things interesting.if you want everyone on your side then i suggest you join a club
i forgive you "car tax dodger" LOL :D :D :D

gavan

Nick_UK said:
No, I didn't miss it - you've been saying that you're quitting for quite a long time now :)

Contrary to your post, I've never said before that I was about to quit - just that ultimately I probably will.

As it happens, the end of September is a good time for me so off I go. I may return to Sky at some stage in the future if they offer me a VFM service.

I've seen quite a few posts recently of people either quitting or accepting a much reduced sub offer to stay, when they phone to quit. Purely on anecdotal evidence here, I'd say that Sky experiencing an upsurge in disenchanted customers.

Gav

Nick_UK

Banned
gavan said:
........... Purely on anecdotal evidence here, I'd say that Sky experiencing an upsurge in disenchanted customers.

Six people out of 8 million is an upsurge, is it ? :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom