1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazed at quality of panasonic dmr e65 dv transfer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fallwood, Jan 2, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got my e65 and I have to say I am amazed at the quality of the dvd recording via the dv link. Previous to owning the e65 I did all my dv-cam transfers over firewire into my pc, I then used canopus pro coder to re-encode the 15gb avi file (1 hour of video) down to a 4.35gb mpeg 2 file , this usually took 3-4 hours to re-encode (on a 3.2 athlon xp with 1 gig of 400fsb ddr) plus the hour it takes to transfer the video from the dv cam, then I authored it back to dvd with tmpgenc author or dvd movie factory. I was never that impressed with the final results (viewed on a 90" screen) compared to the original avi but put it down to the fact that it had been compressed down so much. Total time to transfer, re-encode, author and burn 1 hour of dv-cam footage used to take me roughly 6 hours. Now using the firewire port on my e65 it only takes 1 hour and the quality is far superior, I can then edit the dvd on the pc if I need to without losing any of the quality. How can this be ,canopus procoder cost me a lot of money (249 quid) but I thougt it would be worth it as I do a lot of video work and I wanted the best results possible, I have been using it for quite a while and know exactly how to obtain the best quality images from it but the results from my e65 have left me questioning the quality of software mpeg encoders. In short the e65 does an amazing job with dv-cam transfer and I would highly recommend one to anyone wanting to use it for dv-cam transfer to dvd.

2. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have posted this question many times before and am keen to find out what different DVD recorders with ilink do on this front.

IMHO, the most siginificant aspect on a home video is the date-time stamp. When you are showing your mum and dad a video of their grand children playing around a pool, the 1st question you always get it "when did you shoot this?". So, here goes

Does the E95 provide a means of preserving the date-time info from you dv camera when transfering via ilink?

I know the DMRE20 does not. I also read the manual for a couple of the JVC models and they do not.

My philips DVDR890 is absolutely fantastic on this front ( I know and have read all the threads about Philips machines disadvantages, pls dont start one here and focus on the date-time and firewire issue). The 890 takes the date-time stamp and inserts it as a subtitle onto the finished DVD, F A N T A S T I C! For me, this feature is worth £100.00 on its own.

So, does the E95 offer any such feature, do you even consider it important?

Regards

Ammar

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, not sure to be honest, ive only done a few test captures so far to test the quality, i will do a full tape tomorrow and let you know if it keeps the time/date stamp. To be honest though I always write the dates on the dvd .