1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amateur wanting expert advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nickane, Nov 6, 2001.

1. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have less than £1000 to spend on an amp and speakers and was wondering what suggestions were. I'm currently thinking of the Mission FS-2 AV setup and a Yamaha RXV-620 RDS. So basically, I want to know:
    1) What do people think of these two as a system?
    2) Is the Yamaha exactly the same as the DSP-AX620, only with a tuner, or are there other differences (the DSP-AX620 has got great reviews, but I haven't read a thing about the RXV-620)?
    3) Will the lack of DPL II present a problem, as I will be watching ITV Digital (mainly sky one and filmfour) through this setup?
    4) If so, can someone recommend a better receiver for less than 400 pounds (internet prices, not retail), with DPL II, DD, DTS and Component video switching (2x in, 1x out)?

Please help.

Nickane

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1) Perhaps some Tannoy M(x) series speakers could make a nice match, too.

2) IMHO they are identical except for the tuner.

3) It will not be a problem but in the end it's up to personal taste and your decision.

4) May I ask what you need component switching for?

3. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) I would avoid the Mission FS-2 speakers if you ever want to listen to music - they are not good at this. What about one of the other Mission packages (m72/m74 are in your budget and have good reviews)? If you need small speakers the Kef KHT2005 can be found for £650-ish if you hunt around and bargain hard.

2) Ditto Reiner

3) I have just 'upgraded' to DPL II and I would urge you to try it. It sounds much better on everything I've tried it with (compared to old DPL amp). Like you, I watch a lot of Filmfour on ITV Digital and the difference between I and II is remarkable.

4) I don't think you'll find a receiver with component video switching and the other features you want at this price point (unless Yamaha are going to release a DPLII amp soon?) If you can do without component video switching then you can take your pick from entry level models from Marantz, Denon and Onkyo - all have DPLII and good reviews, and all less than £400 via internet.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same xstion re: use of PL2 for the same reasons (source=TV). Today I listened to Pioneer 839 which has a PLI+pseudo '5D theatre' thing versus Marantz 4200 which has PL2.

I felt that PL2 was def. nicer than PL1 by itself (more 'around you') but not stunning, - the 5D theatre seemed similar to PL2. i.e. worth having something rather than only PL1.

I'm having another listening sess. tomorrow on other kit

5. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again, thanx for all your help.
    I think I'm gonna stick with the FS-2 system just cos it isn't just space thats the problem, but also drilling holes and the like is not really an option. And the NXT speakers are so flexible when it comes to placement. Besides I won't be playing much music.
    Since I won't be getting all this until sometime in January (I think I'm gonna have to hold a fund-raiser...), I think I'll keep an eye on a replacement model with DPL II as I've heard great things about this new technology and I was demoed it on a Denon 2802 recently and was pretty impressed.
    But component switching is the real priority, as my DVD player has it, as does my projector (just the one, mind), and I can get a three-phono lead for the RGB scart output of my ITVdigital set-top box.

Thanks again,
    Nickane

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ah! Component is not equal to RGB, so running a component signal into one input and RGB into the second one will cause a problem to the display device, unless it can detect and switch between those formats!

You may also need to connect the composite from the RGB source as the RGB signal coming out from the box might not carry the SYNC signal (seperate pin on the SCART), so you possibly would need a 4-phono lead to SCART adapter cable.

7. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is news to me!

I always thought RGB was the same as component, is this not the case, or is it just that RGB is carried differently by scart? I'll have to look into this, to see if I can generate a component signal from my set-top box. Even if I can't though, I need to use the amp as a switching box, or else I'll have too many cables running to the projector. Besides, I know I can get a component out from my PS2, and I could just get S-video off the set-top box and use the other component terminal for games.

Thanks again,

Nickane

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, but component is different from RGB, though I must admit that the colors of the component connectors are just confusing as they are red, green and blue.

Component is widely used in the US and to some extend in Asia, but slowly making it's way to Europe, mainly on DVD players and projectors.
    As well component connection is used for progressive scan equipment.

I don't think your set-top box will support component.

You could however use RGB from the DVD player if available and switch it using the component connections at the AV amp as described below.