AM2 motherboard recommendation

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scooby do, Jan 14, 2008.

1. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Guys recently "upgraded" to a HP machine runing AMD Am2 5000 apparently these has the black edition chip. Looking to upgrade the motherboard, can anyone point in the right direction. The current motherboard is as expected a cheap MSI board that the subsystem is very slow. Zipping up of a 4.7 Gb data file takes some 3 hours where as my XP mobile 2500 @ 2.7 ghz takes under 1 hour!

2. Sy4

Sy4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Morning Scooby.

Thats the Chip I'm looking to get (just seen the black edition on OC's website for a reasonable figure).

Would be interested to see what people have to say about this as well. My VERY basic understanding is that the Asus M2A-VM HDMI Micro ATX is a good pick... I believe this is the brother/sister of the P5E Intel version which I'm sure I've seen people comment on?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-256-AS

I'm sure to be proved wrong shortly tho by the likes of Mick ;)

Rgds
    Matt

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks Matt, the chip apparantly is a low wattage one or one Guy who purchased the HP PC says it is. I have yet to take the machine apart to confirm. The PC was £183 for 2gb of RAM 250GB Harddrive so cant expect miracles! Altough I did say I would never buy amother ASUS board after the problems I had with 2 not storing CMOS settings when the 5V stanby was switched off. ASUS even had the 2 boards on RMA and they could not find the fault! Perhaps it is time to move on!

4. Sy4

Sy4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've seen a couple of pictures of HTPC builds that have abit boards. Might be worth a gander at those? :)