AM reception in the car

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else suffering with their radio AM reception? Mine seems to be getting worse by the month and I can only get TalkSport and Five without it crackling loudly in strong reception areas. As Sound as I get out of these areas it's awful and not worth listening to.
Have they reduced the signal strength are something like that :confused:

Yup, had the same problem for a while. Seems to be with cerain cars. Hired a vauxhall and it was great

Talksport has always been poor for me, especially as it gets later in the day...you can't even listen to it after around 8pm as it fades in and out.

i found i got much better am reception after removing my aftermarket head unit and putting the vauxhall one back in, maybe youve got a cap drying up in your tuner stage or your aeriel amp, water ingress into your aeriel or if its a rear window aeriel a loose spade connection.
PURE highway and the upgrade external magmount aeriel FTW for talksport and five and absolute BTW:smashin:

Yes MW/AM is unlistenable after using a DAB radio. Even at its lame 80 kbps mono bit rate.

Is anyone else suffering with their radio AM reception? Mine seems to be getting worse by the month and I can only get TalkSport and Five without it crackling loudly in strong reception areas. As Sound as I get out of these areas it's awful and not worth listening to.
Have they reduced the signal strength are something like that :confused:

John, sometimes thats a sign your ariel is faulty. I suggest you check it or have you changed the stereo. I have even used carphone ( old car kit) ariels and have had crackcing reception when everyone told me its impossible to receive am on it. I

The aerial seems ok, it's one of those that's sticking up from the roof. Not sure how I'd check if it's ok or not to be honest though :)

AM/MW signals can be affected considerably by the weather (atmospheric pressure).

We've had quite a long spell of high pressure (which also zaps freeview signals), so wait until the weather changes before deciding your equipment is faulty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom