Am i using too much supplements?

Cedricvdh

Since the gyms are back open in my country im very motivated to go all the way. Ive trained for more than 3years but never went ''hardcore'' mode and stopped in october 2020 due too covid19, i trained 4-6 days a week doing bicep-back, tricep-chest and schoulders-legs. However i didnt look at my diet so i gained a fair amount of muscle but nothing really spectacular. As for supplements i took whey protein (switched between many brands currently i am sticking too Myprotein whey since it has the best price for the amount i get and the quality/taste is good also i digest it very well compared with diff brands), i took the last half year of training creatine which helped alot in size. I just started going back too the gym (since 9th of june) and have a lot of regain to do. In the last months i researched for more supplements to take that would help me gain more muscle and would help with the recovery. At this current moment im taking the following supplements daily: Whey protein 1.5scoops 20-30g, Creatine 5mg, Curcufen (2 capsules), Ashwagandha KSM 66 (1capsule, dosage of (>5%) withanolides Ashwagandha-extract* (59,3%), Lucovitaal Super fishoil Omega 3-6, Magnesium 200mg, and myprotein alpha men. I also started holding onto a strict diet with almost no carbs taking around 2400calories a day and having around 140-160g of protein, drinking only but water and a preworkout with no sugar or calories. Im trying too lose bodyfat while also containing as much muscle (i know that losing bodyfat means also losing muscle). My current bodyweight is 76.3kg (19.8%) last week i was 78.5kg (20.5%bf). Just wondering if my supplement intake is an overkill and if you guys got any tips or what i am doing wrong. Thanks in advance ;) (yeah i use headphones in the gym)

fruityloop

You don’t need any of that, creatine at best is negligible. it won’t make you a mass monster and you’ll hold a lot of water weight with it too.
stick with your protein, watch your diet, sleep well. It’s not rocket science.
The supplement industry feeds off people like you, no offence there as I use to do the same.

How tall are you and how have you got your bf%?

Last edited:

Devonshire

As fruityloop says, you're making it far too complicated.

First thing is to look at your diet. You really should be able to get all you need from your diet. Supplements are named that for a reason. You probably don't need any of it.

How have you worked out your current diet? Why have you cut carbs so much? What's the calorie total based on?

From what you've said about your training experience and your current bf, I'd probably recommend just eating a good balanced diet (good fat, protein and carb) everyday and training hard. You'll probably find your bf drops naturally as you train.

Cedricvdh

You don’t need any of that, creatine at best is negligible. it won’t make you a mass monster and you’ll hold a lot of water weight with it too.
stick with your protein, watch your diet, sleep well. It’s not rocket science.
The supplement industry feeds off people like you, no offence there as I use to do the same.

How tall are you and how have you got your bf%?
Thanks for replying, I wont rebuy any supplements except of creatine and protein also i am 176cm tall. In the time before covid i gained a fair amount of muscle but right when the gym closed in octobre 2020 i didnt eat properly (too much junk) for 7months untill last week. I dont really know atm if i have to lose weight (skipping carbs and less fats) or just train 5-6times a week and rely on my muscle memory too get my muscles back fully and get higher in protein,carbs and fat. Because i lost alot of size on my schoulders,back etc..

Cedricvdh

As fruityloop says, you're making it far too complicated.

First thing is to look at your diet. You really should be able to get all you need from your diet. Supplements are named that for a reason. You probably don't need any of it.

How have you worked out your current diet? Why have you cut carbs so much? What's the calorie total based on?

From what you've said about your training experience and your current bf, I'd probably recommend just eating a good balanced diet (good fat, protein and carb) everyday and training hard. You'll probably find your bf drops naturally as you train.
Ive never had this experience of needing too recover my physique so atm i really dont know what i need to do too get my muscles fully back and also lose some bf. i used a calculator too get the amount of protein 145g ,carbs and fats <70g in too lose around 0.5kg a week. I get less carbs in because its for me the easiest way to have a calorie deficit(1-2days a week i eat a carb meal so i am not missing out on nutrients and have some energy. Thanks for replying!

Devonshire

As you're just getting back into training, I'd not worry about macro splits and supplements right now. Just start training, eat well and rest well. As the muscle comes back on the bf will drop. When you start plateauing with muscle gain and bf loss, change your training and then look at your diet more closely.

Don't overthink it.

fruityloop

Thanks for replying, I wont rebuy any supplements except of creatine and protein also i am 176cm tall. In the time before covid i gained a fair amount of muscle but right when the gym closed in octobre 2020 i didnt eat properly (too much junk) for 7months untill last week. I dont really know atm if i have to lose weight (skipping carbs and less fats) or just train 5-6times a week and rely on my muscle memory too get my muscles back fully and get higher in protein,carbs and fat. Because i lost alot of size on my schoulders,back etc..
What DO YOU SEE when you look in the mirror? That will tell you whether you want to diet or not. I’d agree with Devonshire, forget the macros for now and don’t overthink it.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Creatine is well known for pushing water into muscles, hence why you a difference when taking it.

Marv

People in prison have managed for over 50 years to get ripped without supplement's and body builders in the 1930's manged just fine.

Keep to strict diet and allow yourself some indulgence at the weekend.

roymunsen

People in prison have managed for over 50 years to get ripped without supplement's and body builders in the 1930's manged just fine.

Keep to strict diet and allow yourself some indulgence at the weekend.

I doubt the average gym goer is getting as much rest time as a prisoner.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom