1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I using my amp to optimum efficiency??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DavidCook, Sep 5, 2005.

1. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 which I am pleased with but after reading the forums am not sure if I am getting the best from it.
    Here goes:
    I rely on the TV(Tosh 36ZP) for the picture and have nothing connected through the amp for this. I am very pleased with the picture quality. I know I cannot see on screen menus and rely on the small amp screen. Could I do better with picture quality?
    I simply connect the DVD directly to the TV using a component cable.
    The TV, VCR,and Sky box are daisy chained using scart leads.
    The only leads,other than speaker cables going to the amp are
    a)Sub cable b) audio cable for sky box (twin) c) audio cable for VCR(twin) d) audio cable for DVD.
    I have turned the TV volume down to 0 as I cannot find a way of by passing it.
    I am not using the radio facility of the amp. On the very rare occasion we use radio it is all on sky anyway.
    What prompted the question was a post on component switching with one cable from the amp controlling everything. Not sure about this.
    Advice appreciated thanks.

2. bin_man

bin_man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David, not sure about your set-up, but sounds like it all works fine.. I connect my DVD via my Yamaha RX-V1500 using component leads to the PV500 screen as I find it easier to set up the amp with the on-screen menus (but you can set them up by plugging the leads into the amp then putting them back into the DVD). I have connected the DVD directly to the screen and not noticed any difference in PQ.

The component 'up-conversion' feature of the RX-V1500 didn't work for my SVHS video player as the PQ was not still good enough, so the VCR is connected to the screen via S-video scart. If yours is the same you would still need the VCR connected to the TV via scart.

So your set-up sounds OK / practical to me...

3. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your Title reads ".......optimum efficiency"

So to be pedantic, no you're not but then the question has to be: Are you happy with the way things are wired up and the way your system is working? If so then leave it as is. I personally have everything going via my 2500, makes switching much easier, a few less cables and of course the 2500 has a really cool GUI.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The upconversion is just that. It will not make the picture any better than what goes in. To do that you will have to upgrade to the mighty Z9 :eek:

You use the amp as much as I do. As long as your happy with it then your fine. :smashin:

5. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't I LOVE that :D

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Bring it on!!!

7. DavidCook

DavidCook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all. Suppose I just needed convincing I wasn't missing out on something that I really shouldn't be. You will all realise that for the novice this AV game gets into your head and becomes a mental thing of what if ,and if only etc and you just need more experienced people to say its OK.