1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Turning Into A Grumpy Old Man?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Aqualung, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I log onto the AV Forums I always head straight for the bargain forums to see whats out there. But I find myself getting angry with the likes of HMV, Virgin, MVC, etc. and their sales tactics. Particularly with the buy 1 get 1 free type of sale.

I go into these high street stores on a weekly basis and I look for particular titles I want and follow their pricee until they become affordable or on offer.

HMV in particular will, in a buy 1 get 1 free sale, put up the price of a title to £19.99. When not in a sale I have seen the same titles around £16, £17 & £18. Gladiator was as high as £25 in one of their 3 for 2 sales.

Well, am I just a Grumpy Old Man?

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Check out Play247, I am sure they have Gladiator for £10.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The high street stores are tring to maximise profits out of a growing market.

We do our Saturday shop at Sainsbury which is supposed to sell things cheaply unles they have a D, V and D in the name where they are top dollar.

I deliberately drive to Morrisons where they are £ 2 cheaper even though it probably costs me that in petrol as i feel that if more people refused to buy from Sainsbury as there were cheaper options available, they would then reduce the prices.

The supermarkets drove out the local butcher and baker by undercutting and now try to build profitability on non essentials.

Let's play them at their own game.

4. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Plus Ian,Morrisons tikka masala is the best you will taste out of all the supermarket efforts,been there tried `em all and Morrisons reigns supreme :D the only way to top it is a trip down to the balti mile in sparkhill - now you are talking :p

5. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Aqualung

Good point. I too have noticed this especially with HMV where they will sell a disc for 10 pounds one week then have a buy one get one free the week after with the same disc included in the promtion mysteriously now being 19.99.
    I always opt for Play apart from when Whsmith shave what I consider to be the only genuinely good high street deal of buy one get one half price on every DVD (this is runing at the moment until May 8th). Their prices are pretty decent plus you get the Whsmiths points as well.

6. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    asimm

That is exactly what I have noticed price wise.

I may look, but I very rarely buy, in the high street. I managed to get the Alien Box Set for £29.99 from Woolies. Otherwise most purchases are either Play247 or EzyDVD.

It bugs me that, as we have both witnessed. A DVD can double in price to £19.99 from its non sale price of £9.99 virtually overnight.
    After all, has the sale item actually been reduced in price?
    Therefore is it even a sale/offer item and could it be misleading to sell it as such?

God it makes me grumpy!

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree,

Haven't ever bought from a high street shop, one of the many reasons. With the exeption of the odd music/ TV show I always buy R1 from Play/ Movietyme. Quality is always better, no cuts , usually more extras, although the R2 versions are getting better in this area, and of course you're watching at the correct speed.