1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I too obsessive?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by silent lucidity, Apr 17, 2003.

1. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay,first off I have to say I'm so picky I don't think I'll ever stop finding picture faults with the set I own now or the ones I buy in the future!But the last week or so I've noticed something weird with my Philips 32pw9527;scenes in partial light,such as nightscenes in Buffy or the recent court scenes in Holby City(I know,there's no hope for me there!)look kind of misty.Take for instance the light spill from a window,it has an almost ethereal look to it.I don't know if this has always been the case or just something my paranoid brain has just noticed!
    Someone please put my mind at ease and tell me the fault lies with the owner :rotfl:

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Why don't u tape said programmes, play them back on your tv and then take tape to a freinds house and play back through their system. U may be pleasantly surprised.

I am making a few assumptions here mind!

gb--

3. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest gb I think you're probably right,didn't notice it at all tonight.Like I said,I'm a bit too obsessive,but at least finding this board made me realise I'm not the only one with an A.V affliction!:smashin:

4. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    When I bought my TV last year, I spent nearly 2 months of intermitent service menu access, in order to correct/balance geometry problems.

Now, I realise that perfect image is impossible, so I can live with the imperfections.

Anyway, it was funny

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    silent lucidity

okay some people ive noticed will never be happy whatever they spend! But I think everyone notices things about their tv that have certain faults. Like on my jvc 32d25 the picture is unbeleivable and slightly better on dvd than the pixel plus models with no shimmering around fast moving objects but the only thing I can critisize this tv is that on white objects around dark backgrounds the whites have this almost glowing effect and cant be turned down by contrast level reduction.

Fortunately the picture is that good you would not think of changing such a good tv for this only.

6. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Hello evans,
    There should be an adjustment for the white level
    in the service menu - most modern tv's do.
    I had to adjust the white level on my Philips 32"w/s
    but the opposite way as the white's were a little too
    grey. Made a big difference too.
    I've no idea what the code is to enter the service menu
    on your jvc though.

7. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    bowenjones

Thanks for the reply and I have entered the service menu but it looks so complicated and I have no idea how to adjust and what to look for.

thanks/evans

8. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    silent lucidity,

you're not alone! The first six months of owning a new tv are a nightmare for me. CONSTANT adjustments to menu settings, service menus, constant freeze-framing of DVDs to scrutinize images, tweak tweak tweak.

Visited shops to see how other versions of my TV compared (was mine a freak?), freeze-framed an image then went round to a friends' who owns same tv to see how image compared on his TV. It's too dark! It's too bright! Horziontal geometry bends by 2.5mm in one place! Oooh, are those static interference pops getting more regular (have I done something wrong to my set?). Man, I got a reputation with my friends for being a nutter.

Goes aways eventually though. Had my set for 12 months now and can put up with it's minor idiosyncracies (spelling?) now.

Chill out and just try to enjoy watching the film, not the tv set :smashin:

John

9. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Probably.

:smoke: :smoke:

10. silent lucidity

silent lucidity