1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I The Only One?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tejpal, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (The computer speakers is an example of the problem im having)

I have recently moved computer in my living room, i bought a sound system called Altec Lancing ACS 56. it has a 6.5inch subwoofer which is in the corner of the room.

I have Wooden floor, about 100mm, and then about 1.5metres gap under the floor, which is completly empty.

The sound it VERY VERY boomy, it goes down to REALLY low notes easily and all i can feel is the whole house "booming"

It sounded cool for a while, because its only a 40watt amp and it sounds like them guys who put three 15" Subs in there boot, and dont balance the sound. i have heard the paradigm 8, it goes to a similar depth(but can't compare, paradigm kicks its ass)
    After a couple of days i got annoyed!

I have tried it on a concrete floor in the conservitory, its alot better, and balanced with the rest of the sattalite systems.

I have tried moving the tone settings,but it always sounds boomy.

Im not too worried about this,

My main Problem is that i am currantly look towards getting a new hifi for my living room, i am looking at mission m74 floor standing speakers,

Will my New system sound bloated and Boomy or is there any way to get ride of the horrible sound?

Carpeting is NOT an option.

am the only one who has this annoying problem?

all constructive suggestions are welcome

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What about a rug??

Dave

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    After reading some of your answers to other people's posts you have a bit of a cheek asking for "constructive" suggestions

4. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A new sub/sat system maybe...

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without going off into a long boring post, very briefly, your problem is the above. Basicaly, this 1.5 metres gap together with your wood floor is a very, very large DRUM.
    If you have gaps in your wood floor this will make things a dam site worse. Ideally, you would need to pour many cubic metres of concrete under there to fill the void to something more acceptable. Gaps of a few inches rather than metres are acceptable.

Apart from that, I would advise you to fill any gaps that may exist in your wood floor with air-tight sealent.
    A carpet or rug would be little or no help at all in this situation.

You are having these problems with a sound system designed for computers. 40 watts you say.

As things stand, any money spent on a decent system will be entirely wasted if located in this room.

Eric

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On second thoughts, you can convert that 1.5 meter space into the biggest sub enclosure in the UK.
    You'll need to do a few major alterations (I'll talk you through) You'll also need around a dozen quality 18" drivers. Oh, and twelve, 1250 watt amps. :D
    I'll see if I can source the the amps and drivers from Velodyne :rolleyes:

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eric, sure you don't want to buy the house:devil:

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken,
    You've got me thinking :D

9. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eric, if you can still think straight either youre baby is not turned up enough or you HAVE left it for more than five minutes:rolleyes:

10. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sound like an intresting concept, i'll look into it

:)

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Why not get a builder in to dig out another couple of feet under the 1.5 meters and......ta dah! - you have a custom home cinema room, underground, with no worries about boom or the pesky neighbours - is that "constructive" enough for you?:devil: