Am I the only one with problems with the tennis?

mrrodge

Hi all,

Read some other threads and nobody seems to have had problems with the 3D tennis. Also posted this in the HTPC forum, as I fear it could be something to do with that.

My 7MC system plays 3d blu-ray no problem (albeit with a little crosstalk) on my Samsung UE32D6100. I tried a couple of weeks ago to watch Andy Murray play at Wimbledon in 3D on BBC HD. I use a GT430 to output 1920x1080 to the TV via HDMI. The channel played fine, as you'd expect, but I found that when I set the TV to SBS the overlapping images were way too far apart. It was to the point where the image didn't look much different with the glasses on to what it did when they were off. Thing is, I couldn't find an adjustment on the TV for 3D depth when in this mode. The image looked similar, but worse than, when I set PDVD's 3D depth way too deep and the eyes see separate images instead of one 3D image. The TV's firmware was updated recently so I have the latest version.

I'm getting more biased towards passive 3d by the day!

PS a further thought, is BBC HD still 1440x1080? If so, could my HTPC be tampering with the proportion of the image when it upscales and outputs at 1920?

Cheers.

loz

Distinguished Member
FYI, BBC have upped their HD resolution to 1920 for Wimbledon and the Olympics, but I am not certain whether they will reduce it back down once it is over. (they did this last year for Wimbledon 3D)

Jason Shouler

PS a further thought, is BBC HD still 1440x1080? If so, could my HTPC be tampering with the proportion of the image when it upscales and outputs at 1920?
It certainly sounds like an aspect ratio issue although that should be self-evident by the black border when SBS is showing (before hitting the 3D button) since ideally you want to see no borders at all on the far left, far right and middle.

Well worth playing with the aspect controls (either on the TV or the player) as that often resolves such problems.

mrrodge

FYI, BBC have upped their HD resolution to 1920 for Wimbledon and the Olympics, but I am not certain whether they will reduce it back down once it is over. (they did this last year for Wimbledon 3D)

Can't be that then! Thanks.

Jason Shouler said:
It certainly sounds like an aspect ratio issue although that should be self-evident by the black border when SBS is showing (before hitting the 3D button) since ideally you want to see no borders at all on the far left, far right and middle.

Well worth playing with the aspect controls (either on the TV or the player) as that often resolves such problems.

I'm pretty sure I have it set to 'Screen Fit', which doesn't tamper with the image size/position at all from what I gather as the HTPC outputs pure 1920x1080 straight to the TV.

When I looked at the image with SBS off there were no borders, but there was a thin black line down the middle separating the two images.

I checked blu-ray 3D playback after to make sure the batteries in the glasses were OK, and it was fine (Well as fine as it gets with the crappy Samsung Active system, very disappointing but just about watchable).

It was as if the TV/Glasses just couldn't handle the depth or the glasses just weren't in sync with the TV.

To be fair, the TV is good and I've managed to get a fantastic picture from it, but a lot of the selling points such as motion plus, clear motion rate, LED motion plus and 3D support are all pure crap. Stick to Technika/Luxor/Bush in future I reckon, TVs that aren't bloated with this marketing bull, or go for a real TV like a Panny.

loz

Distinguished Member
Can't be that then! Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I have it set to 'Screen Fit', which doesn't tamper with the image size/position at all from what I gather as the HTPC outputs pure 1920x1080 straight to the TV.

I should have recognised you were talking about connecting a PC via HDMI.

I had a similar problem and found that illogically I had to set it to not fit to screen but to overscan in order to get the PC input to fill the screen correctly.
And, if I didn't do that and it didn't fill the screen (but left a border around it), then it totally refused to go into 3D mode.

mrrodge

I should have recognised you were talking about connecting a PC via HDMI.

I had a similar problem and found that illogically I had to set it to not fit to screen but to overscan in order to get the PC input to fill the screen correctly.
And, if I didn't do that and it didn't fill the screen (but left a border around it), then it totally refused to go into 3D mode.

I too had to faff when I first connected it, but my TV was set to overscan by default and it cut off a substantial amount of the screen. Screen fit mode overcame the problem, and now it's just like viewing on a monitor, perfect fit from what I can see.

I wish I'd recorded the match now so I could watch it back and tweak the settings!

loz

Distinguished Member
I too had to faff when I first connected it, but my TV was set to overscan by default and it cut off a substantial amount of the screen. Screen fit mode overcame the problem, and now it's just like viewing on a monitor, perfect fit from what I can see.

I wish I'd recorded the match now so I could watch it back and tweak the settings!

I guess there will be differences from one PC to another - or perhaps I wasn't running my laptop at full HD resolution when I connected.
So many variables....

paulmcp2403

mate I had this as well...and guess what it was....2 things -

1 - HDMI handshake - ie* plugging cable sin whilst thingsa re switched on
2 - my output was set to 1080p 50hz, when infact it should be set to AUTO

mrrodge

mate I had this as well...and guess what it was....2 things -

1 - HDMI handshake - ie* plugging cable sin whilst thingsa re switched on
2 - my output was set to 1080p 50hz, when infact it should be set to AUTO

Are we talking a PC here? On my HTPC I run at 60hz, as it's the best all-round rate for blu-ray, TV etc.

Obviously the blu-ray software I use switches to 24hz for 3D, so could the 60hz be causing sync issues with the glasses? I'll have to try it at 50 or 24 and see what happens. I can imagine 24hz SBS from TV broadcast at 25fps not working though...

paulmcp2403

Are we talking a PC here? On my HTPC I run at 60hz, as it's the best all-round rate for blu-ray, TV etc.

Obviously the blu-ray software I use switches to 24hz for 3D, so could the 60hz be causing sync issues with the glasses? I'll have to try it at 50 or 24 and see what happens. I can imagine 24hz SBS from TV broadcast at 25fps not working though...

No mine was via a media player...yep 60hz could be causing an issue...I set my media palyer to auto and it fixed it...same on my laptop i use the display set up wizard and it detects it automatically.

m11nch

I too had the same problem it turned out to be the software so I bought power DVD 11 and it just worked.

mrrodge

I too had the same problem it turned out to be the software so I bought power DVD 11 and it just worked.

How would I watch SBS broadcast TV through PDVD?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom