Am I the only one with Manhattan T3 issues?!

anna2825

Novice Member
Three weeks ago I bought a 1TB Manhattan T3 from Amazon based on the rave reviews both there and on Which?, however, I’ve had so many problems. Customer Services were totally useless .

I need a booster for my TV given poor reception issues in my area and with it the TV is perfect but with the Manhattan it freezes, jumps, pixelates etc. And today, the final insult....it won’t let me record one programme and watch another. I can only watch the one I’m recording.....what’s the point of that??? I’ve checked nothing else was programmed to record so why is this happening?

Also, I have a programme in my recorded list that, no matter how many times I try, it won’t delete yet any other recordings do fine.

HELP!!!!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
You could have a rogue sample. Is the firmware up to date? It could be that your TV signal is too weak for the Manhattan — not all devices have the sane tuner sensitivity.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Send it back and get a Humax aura, that's what I'd do

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
What signal strength and quality numbers are reported by the box for each and every tuned frequency?

THAT may give a clue?

Ditto for the TV in the room (make and model?) using the same aerial feed (for comparison), even though these meters are a variable feast.

Go over all TV plugs/sockets with a fine toothed comb, remake any suspect or damaged ones, try different ones if moulded style. Ensure they are firmly inserted.
Keep hdmi and aerial cables as far apart as possible.
Try different hdmi leads. (Cross-interference between less well screened hdmi and TV leads is very common and a bigger problem when UHF signals are weaker).

Too much signal in (over-amplification/boosting) can give the same results as too little with some TV device tuners.
Tuning to the 'wrong' or weaker transmitter can also give problems.
Rough location of where you are could be useful to see if such things could be commonplace in the area?
Freeview are reporting co-channel interference issues but you'd expect the TV to be affected if that were the cause 4 Nov 2020 - High pressure affecting UK from 4-8 Nov 2020

A factory reset and full retune of it may be beneficial but only do that after you've made the initial measurements and checks above.

Gavtech

Administrator
I agree with Rodders that HDMI interference is a likely culprit here.

As he advises , try other leads and keep them well away from UHF leads.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Early user reports don't sound too encouraging, though it may improve. At least no working iPlayer apparently.
Where have you seen any reviews or reports on the new Humax box? Any links would be appreciated. I have high hopes for the new Humax box, and am tempted to buy one before my existing Panasonic PVR dies on me, with of course all the misery that being an early adopter of new kit will bring ...

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
OK, answered my own Q! Found a review of the Aura on YouTube. The lack of Netflix app. is disappointing, and I have no idea if the Android NowTV app. (with Boost) could be loaded. Other than that, very impressive, at a first pass. Manhattan need to be worried.

A1944

Where have you seen any reviews or reports on the new Humax box? Any links would be appreciated. I have high hopes for the new Humax box, and am tempted to buy one before my existing Panasonic PVR dies on me, with of course all the misery that being an early adopter of new kit will bring ...
Humax Aura « My Humax Forum is where I read the reports. Several people reporting things not working as expected.

anna2825

Novice Member
You could have a rogue sample. Is the firmware up to date? It could be that your TV signal is too weak for the Manhattan — not all devices have the sane tuner sensitivity.
Everything is up to date and it’s been retuned three times

anna2825

Novice Member
What signal strength and quality numbers are reported by the box for each and every tuned frequency?

THAT may give a clue?

Ditto for the TV in the room (make and model?) using the same aerial feed (for comparison), even though these meters are a variable feast.

Go over all TV plugs/sockets with a fine toothed comb, remake any suspect or damaged ones, try different ones if moulded style. Ensure they are firmly inserted.
Keep hdmi and aerial cables as far apart as possible.
Try different hdmi leads. (Cross-interference between less well screened hdmi and TV leads is very common and a bigger problem when UHF signals are weaker).

Too much signal in (over-amplification/boosting) can give the same results as too little with some TV device tuners.
Tuning to the 'wrong' or weaker transmitter can also give problems.
Rough location of where you are could be useful to see if such things could be commonplace in the area?
Freeview are reporting co-channel interference issues but you'd expect the TV to be affected if that were the cause 4 Nov 2020 - High pressure affecting UK from 4-8 Nov 2020

A factory reset and full retune of it may be beneficial but only do that after you've made the initial measurements and checks above.
I bought a brand new HDMI cable for it and the fitting is good so isn’t that. Aeriel cable and booster box are both also brand new. T V is a Panasonic Viera, not new but not cheap and still highly rated. Oh, and I live in Buckinghamshire

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I bought a brand new HDMI cable for it and the fitting is good so isn’t that.
Not necessarily - new one could be as poorly screened as old - but if you've tried 2 and the hdmi and aerial cables are well apart OK

Aerial cable and booster box are both also brand new.
What brand and model of cable and booster? Who supplied and installed them?
Where is booster relative to aerial (what aerial is it and where is it located?) and the box/TV?
How many sets does the aerial feed and how many are via this booster?

T V is a Panasonic Viera, not new but not cheap and still highly rated.
Depending on age they can show 10/10 on all signal levels in... (One of mine gave 10/10 before and after digital switchover when the transmitted power increase tenfold. More recent sets give in %age and are more useful but what are the readings your gives, please?

Plus (more importantly) can we have the signal quality and level meter readings for the T3 box, please? On every received multiplex frequency?

Oh, and I live in Buckinghamshire
Likeliest Sandy Heath and/or Oxford as sources (or vice versa) but could also be Crystal Palace or a relay of it (High Wycombe aka Downley if memory serves me) ....
A bit more precise location? Postcode of a pub, shop, church, school, village hall, or similar, as near you as possible will allow reception predictions to be run.

The requested information is needed to give you as accurate recommendations as we can possibly do without 'being there' and with proper signal test equipment.
A professional aerial installer could supply that service, if necessary... but there's a lot that can be done diy...

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Cheers, signed-up to the thread. Some early adopter issues, mainly around iPlayer not working, the inability to get a fullfat Netflix app. installed, and NowTV app. being installable but not working. Seems pretty polished, given Humax’s past track record of releasing beta kit. I’m tempted, but want to see the app. issues sorted first.

anna2825

Novice Member
Quick update: After being fobbed off by Manhattan and having them blame anyone and everything they could other than their box, I sent it back to Amazon and got aFreesat box which seems ok for now!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I hope that you told them that you’d returned their piece of kit and replaced it with something else!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Did the promised September firmware update surface? I think that Manhattan is in trouble now that the new Humax Aura box has been released, or will be when the bugs have been sorted out.

millfield

Current version 1.08. Still no CEC etc but I still prefer it to the bedroom FVP5000. Looking at the comments on the My Humax forum about the Humax Aura I am not interested in all the extras it can do I just wanted a fast reliable PVR.

pantages

Current version 1.08. Still no CEC etc but I still prefer it to the bedroom FVP5000. Looking at the comments on the My Humax forum about the Humax Aura I am not interested in all the extras it can do I just wanted a fast reliable PVR.
Version 2 has CEC and other improvements. Check their website

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR