1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one use likes NTSC over PAL?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Oct 10, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Gareth,

IN theory, PAL should be sharper and clearer. However, reality is a different ball game, as it depends on a lot of other factors, namely:-

- Your TV/monitor/screen
    - Your DVD player
    - The cables you use to link them all up
    - The film's actual encoding to DVD
    - From what source the DVD was taken
    - From what format the DVD master was created

etc, etc, etc.

Normally, PAL is better, but having seen the R1 DVD of the "Se7en: Special Edition", I'd say that that was better than any PAL film I've seen... period!

I guess it's down to personal preference, and all of the factors I listed above.

Pooch

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Although far from convenient the only 'true' comparison must be on a title by title basis. My preference is for R1 from an audio point of view:

More R1 films feature DD at 448 Kbps than R2, as opposed to 384 Kbps - simply because of the space needed for 'weird & wacky' (just kidding!) subtitle languages.

There is also the question of audio pitch re: 4% speed up, I for one notice and object; many don't notice, or do and don't object.

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got Mummy Returns R4 today because of the DTS Soundtrack. I'm use to NTSC pictures and this is not my first PAL DVD. Though PAL pictures look sharper, i find the colour on NTSC better. I also think NTSC looks more cinematic.

The picture is good on Mummy Returns R4 but i just found it different to watching a NTSC DVD. I compared the DVD to my friends R1 and I prefer the colour on the NTSC, but the PAL is slightly sharper. anyone agree?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    Colour differencies between the two formats are negligible on dvd if you are watching via component or RGB. I'd expect differences in the two telecines to be more of an issue quality wise.