1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one to see bad edits? DV79?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Smurfin, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    Just curious really, as 2 previous Arcam DV88+'s that I've owned have suffered from "bad edit" syndrome, but yet lots of people own these machines and it rarely - if ever - seems to be mentioned.

I tried my old DV88+'s on my old Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector (via component) and the image breakup was horrendous on some material. Movie trailers on DVDs were poor offenders, and also TV series such as The West Wing. With my first Arcam I mainly watched movies and it wasn't so much of an issue, but when I bought my 2nd one I'd started watching The West Wing (and other TV series), and on almost every scene cut for a single frame, the whole image was broken up with brief horizontal lines, to the point where, in my eyes, it was unwatchable.

So who else sees this? Does anyone know if Arcam have acknowledged this issue? The problem, I believe, was just in progressive scan.

One of the reasons for me mentioning this is that I'm currently contemplating a new DVD player for my Panasonic PW6 (SD) plasma, but I have no idea what to go for.

The Arcam's have given me the best image I've ever seen, are great for music and also the styling/colour will fit in well with my next processor which should be arriving soon ( :devil: ). But the bad edits are a big no-no for me:(

However, that said I recently saw an Arcam DV79 feeding a 50" pioneer plasma via HDMI, and the image was stunning; I'm aware from another thread on here that I couldn't use the HDMI connection on my panny (due to issues with DVI), but would be keen to retain this connection anyway, for a future projector purchase. Thing is, are the other components inside the DV79 the same as the DV88+? And via component, would I notice the same issues?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Matt

2. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    Anyone? :)

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Have you got a specific really bad example I could try ? I have a DV88+ but only using its prog scan output to my 32" Thomson.. butI'll give it a go if you like :)

I have the Reg 2 west wing series 1/2 if thats a good example ?

Matt

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Smurfin,

Do you have anymore specific examples ? Hopefully with a longer list of offenders to choose from I might be able to take a look on my dv27 and see if it suffers from the same problem. Not that I have a vested interest, of course :)

5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    The West Wing (either region I suspect) would be a good example, and also any Fox DVD with their old trailer on the front (which includes X-Men, Titan AE, Fight Club etc). Always used to see lots of picture breakup on those, and also my old Pioneer 668 on a rear pro TV....

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    Matt/cwick, did you try any of the discs I've mentioned?

7. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Smurfin,

I've checked the region 2 version of fight club, the 'fox' intro just before the 'regency' ad looks fine to me. Aren't bad edits specific to region 1, since it is a 3:2 pulldown issue?

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Smurfin,

Sorry, I missed your post. I only have Fightclub (R2) from that list, and couldn't see any issues with it (although no ads/trailers on my disc ... assuming I'm looking for the right thing).

I tried Solaris (R2), my only Fox disc with trailers, and it looked fine. I want to try with the interlaced outputs, just to see if it's on those.

fyi ... all into a PW6.

Cheers, Carl.

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    ermm not yet !

10. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    Thanks guys - ihan you may well be right, can't remember though to be honest!