1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i the only 1 who thinks films like HERO & CTHD are

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by SILVERBACK, Sep 26, 2004.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    :censored: ? im sat here now 35 minutes into hero and i just dont see the obsession with these kinda films.i tried to like CTHD but i just couldnt get my head around it and this is the same.

2. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    i have to agree while they look great the wirework fighting scenes just seam so fake they take one step then start flying. CTHD was a huge dissapiontment when i watched it and so i wont bother watching hero

3. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those type of film are THE thing that every chinese person in hong kong/china likes to watch. guess they just trying to break out of the asia market and into the western market. more money i guess!

4. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i liked cthd but found hero boring and i think i will stay away from this type of film in the future :thumbsdow

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It's like any other genre type you have your own preferences. I love asian cinema and feel there is a lot of originality and talent there at the moment that gets overlooked. I personaly loved both CTHD & Hero and would welcome more of the same.
    You've given it a go and didn't like it which is fair enough but it's a lot better than some of the dross Hollywood are currently churning out. Don't be put off by these two titles as there is a wealth of good material to be found in Asia and will have something that will suit your tastes I'm sure.
    If you give me an example of genre you do like I'll try and recomend something you may enjoy:)

My mother can't relate to Hobbits and elves and as a result hated LOTR: FOTR - each to their own :smashin:

6. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a few asian films and i will keep buying them but hero was just not my cup of tea as you said each to their own :thumbsup:

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I liked Mr Vampire and Chinese Ghost Story , Bride with the White Hair was suitably mad also. Not too keen on the recent artsy fu ones to be honest . CTHD was a bit of a bum acher for sure.

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    now MR VAMPIRE is a hell of a film lol.first time i ever watched a asian film all the way through.i watched it years ago when jonathan ross had that asian film show on channel4 at christmas,not sure how well it will have stood the test of time so i will stick to my good memorys :thumbsup: i watched the eye,ringu and dark water and was unbelievably underwhelmed at these hyped films aswell.prefered the remake of ring to be honest over the original the only downside was they swapped that serioulsy creepy walk the girl out of ringu had for a stupid teleportation thing in the remake.

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I haven't watched CTHD or Hero as the wire work just doesn't appeal to me.
    It's a bit like John Woo - totally over the top and laughable.

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    really liked face off and hard target but woo got old really quick imho.

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    oh yeah and ICHI the killer :censored: hell what a pile of crap that was.

12. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think people who don't like or don't "get" wire-fu are stupid idiots with no imagination whatsoever. Sorry if that offends you, but it's true. You're too grounded in reality. Films/movies/games/books - whatever - they just provide the "skeleton" of a story or world which we are supposed to flesh-out with our imaginations.

I know action scenes in Hero & CTHD use wirework, but I have enough imagination to realise the director's intentions and build upon his framework. He could have left the wires in for all I care; I would have mentally deleted them and concentrated on the action instead (just like I did with the wires in Thunderbirds)

You should not be focusing on the fact it is wire-fu, or even whether it is done badly. Just get into the spirit of the bl**dy film! They are both mythical/legendary stories where the characters have been given fantastical powers in order to enthrall and fascinate the listeners/audience.

Anyway, I think the wire-fu IS convincing, and certainly better than the CGI alternative.

Oh and its a bloody awesome film in every regard. Don't let anyone tell you different. If this isn't your cup-of-tea, fine, but you are missing out on some very good tea!

DT

P.S. At least we agree on one thing. Ichi is a bit "pants" :rotfl:

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    :laugh: is that what its called "wire fu" :rotfl: i have a imagination its just i cant get my head around a women fighting of close to a thousand arrows with a pink silk sarong :hiya:

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I think you'll find that insulting people because they happen to disagree with you is against forum rules.

15. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if thats your tea i will stick to the coffee dynamic turtle :p

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    And I think you'll get a week ban for insulting other forum members.

17. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Silverback didn't seem too offended. Better be careful not to offend anyone or have any opinions on any topic ever :rolleyes:

An abuse of power, Spectre?

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I love HK/Korean/Japanese films. I guess it is just a different style to the Hollywood style of film.

They try to have storylines with characters that usually come across as fairly cheesy. I think part of the problem is the translation quite often doesn't convey the imagery of what they mean in their own language.

Likewise I saw Chronicles of Riddick the other day and that was goddam awful, poor storyline and action and looked like it was a SKY mini-series style special effects.

Wire work is very impressive and I much prefer it to the CGI you often see like Matrix. Another problem with Hollywood movies are the actors are usually not martial artists to begin with and usually look out of place. Sometimes with the HK films suffer the opposite effect where the actors are martial artists and not that great at acting.

On Ichi the Killer I loved it, the gore was a bit over the top but the storyline of the film was pretty awesome, a Japanese fight club.

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Ah give me a break , fine Silverback wasn't bothered but your post was inflammatory , all Spectre did was enforce the rules that apply to everyone. If you don't like it fine , judging by your contributions so far you won't be missed.

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I hated CTHD because of the wire work, so try to avoid any of the same types of films. This will definately be one to avoid for me then, thanks for saving me the hassle of renting it !!

21. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hear that newbies? Don't bother wasting your time contributing to this forum. You'll just get kicked in the teeth by a moderator for having (passionate) opinions :thumbsdow

22. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    There's nothing at all wrong with having passionate opinions. The reason I visit this forum is because I can observe and participate in debate where people express their views without resorting to calling others idiots. It's one of the few forums I've been on where the mods keep things civil - and much appreciated it is too.

I agree with many of turtle's opinions - about the flying and films being mystical, not something that's supposed to represent 'reality' as we know it. However, he doesn't have to insult others because they don't understand the genre in the way he does.

If there is something in a film that people don't 'get', the best way to take the debate forward is to attempt to explain what it is one likes and admires in the film, and not instantly assume others are stupid.

23. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    As others have said, all opinions and comments are welcomed, except insults towards other forum members.
    There have been far more heated debates than this without people being banned or even warned.

P.S. Did you join the forum today just to post on this thread? Seems an odd place to start...

24. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Well said mate.

25. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'nuff said.

I think Turtle should be given another chance ;)

26. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    It's only a week, he'll be back and this thread will probably still be going...

Then we can all debate "wire-fu", "kung-fu", "hong-kong-phooey" etc... :D

27. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Back to topic. I didn't like CTHD but i have got Hero on DVD. For me CTHD was tooooooo slooooooooooooow and wasn't as imressed with the fighting as maybe i was supposed to be. But Hero on the other hand, looks amazing, always something happening or building up to happen, and sounds awesome in 6.1 to boot.

28. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I cant remember the exact timing of release but I would imagine most buyers of CTHD bought it on the back of the Matrix films. I for one found the martial arts work in The Matrix awsome and as such when I saw a film being hyped as having the same fight trainer, I ordered CTHD immediately. Unfortunately like some of the others have posted, people floating about and running unconvincingly across rooves and trees did not blow my skirt up. So at least this thread has probably convinced me to rent Hero 1st before impulse buying cos of the hype.

Matt

Oh and I think Dynamic Tyrtles comments definately warranted the action, passionate views should be expressed using thought rather than emotion.

29. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    Once Upon a Time in China is VERY GOOD, and the subtitles are pretty good!

Thats were a lot of Asian films are let down, VERY poor subtitling, which is very obviously wrong, and creates the wrong atmosphere / viewpoint.

30. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Looks like i'll be giving Hero a miss then, i did'nt really like CTHD and thouhgt it was way over hyped. The fighting was good, but when they started fighting in the tree tops that was just too much and lost my attention.

I heard alot about Hero and looked froward to seeing it, but if its gonna be like CTHD i might aswell give it a miss(even though the trailer looked good)