Am I The Bad Guy Here?

My thoughts are that it may be illegal without planning permission. I know that friend's of mine had a major extension done on their house, so they brought in a caravan to live in for 9-12 months whilst construction was under way. They had to get additional planning permission for the caravan over and above what was required for the extension, even though it was a very large garden and the caravan was going to be placed behind trees and virtually invisible to neighbours. They were granted temporary permission on the understanding it was removed after the house extension was completed.
If deemed as a static caravan, not a tourer, then planning permission does have to be applied for.

Your language is combative, unhelpful and inflammatory, so I would advise you seek wise counsel, a trusted friend or colleague with no vested interests to assist you.
Woah there, hold your horses, he hasn't even spoken to them. Venting his spleen on here is just part of General Chat banter. Assuming you were addressing the OP that is.

In my humble opinion I don't think anyone is the bad guy here. There are also laws and rules on what you can do depending on if the house is something you own or like a condo or apartment where you pay rent.

Usually a red robin plant.
Personally I’d avoid this plant. Apart from prone to disease, in Spring they shed bright red leaves.

We have neighbours who are absolutely paranoid about being overlooked etc. They finally decided to get a garden designer. Neighbour came round while work was underway and I asked how it was going. The scumbag didn’t give any answer. Soon it became clear why.

Along our back garden border. They had built a raised bed from railway sleepers along the whole fence. Next came a delivery of at least 5 feet tall red robin (photinia) bushes to form an instant hedge. These have grown about 3 feet above the fence. They’ve only trimmed it once. I cut what overhangs.

We are keen gardeners and this cuts out light from our flower bed and makes the shady area a moss fest in winter. Spring red leaves ruin the look of our nice mulched bed. They fall for a long time. So beware the photinia!!!

Last edited:
We love them where we are in SW France had them in UK also... Laurel hedging looses as many leaves as the Red Robin here and the Conifers also shed....I reckon it does depend on the heat and rainfall during the summer months that when it seems to start here...we have several cherry tress and one is just bare now...time will tell if it can revive as it has been so dry and hot. St Johns Wort, many types, but the tall bushy one is brilliant for colour for a long time and huge yellow flowers that the bees enjoy.Had them in Surrey in the 60's and East Sussex in the 2000-2014 bothe areas they where excellent for staying power with cutting them back sometime after flowering, certainly improves the shrub.
Better go and read the question asked.........

It’s just two clean caravans on a neighbours drive. Ok, they don’t exactly look classy but if it was me and I was bothered I’d just put up a fence with trellis on. It’s not worth the stress, aggravation, worry and potential confrontation over something so trivial.

It’s just two clean caravans on a neighbours drive. Ok, they don’t exactly look classy but if it was me and I was bothered I’d just put up a fence with trellis on. It’s not worth the stress, aggravation, worry and potential confrontation over something so trivial.
My rare rages have been about fences and boundaries, I have to blame my late father for this trait but I have never physically harmed anyone yet!.......but I can see this very clearly, a neighbour who has already upset you has just added to your distress, it is not trivial to you that is unfair to judge how you are affected and if you can solve this it will be a step forward. Find out legally if this is not permitted..if it is then your only option is to disguise the view. We are doing this at this very time and it makes us feel like we can take a step in the right direction. We got so low about our situation that something had to give. So hopefully you can come up with the option open to you that will help.....We have open wire fence above a old stone low wall so husband made frames about 2 metres long and 1 metre high but you would need higher and we lined the frame with garden fabric and with drilled holes and cables ties we fixed it to the wire fence...and if need be to go higher we can. We have hedges of various sorts in front but see through so the panels were compulsory and being green material they blend so well. Good Luck.

The Title Deeds tell you what belongs to you, what is and what is not your property. Surely you have them dug out by now?

Talk of court - I suggest you seek legal council, we have only bits of information here, but ultimately we are but barrack room lawyers, you need to dig out the legal docs, Title Deeds, for your property, then research this border dispute via Google and relevant Gov websites, most certainly not "I heard it from a bloke down the pub / on Facebook" which is what you seem to be doing, and then, if you still fail to understand your legal rights, seek a solicitor.

You may also need to speak to the neighbour, that is the most logical and what any given solicitor will advise in the first instance.

Only after that will a solicitor likely delve deeper & fully tell you your legal rights, much of which, by that time, you will have fully researched and have some comprehension anyhow. A legal letter from your chosen solicitor does do wonders for belligerent fools and may help you in the long run.

It's not rocket science, but takes a bit of initiative and gumption on your part. Some "leg / finger work" too.

The Title Deeds tell you what belongs to you, what is and what is not your property. Surely you have them dug out by now?

Talk of court - I suggest you seek legal council, we have only bits of information here, but ultimately we are but barrack room lawyers, you need to dig out the legal docs, Title Deeds, for your property, then research this border dispute via Google and relevant Gov websites, most certainly not "I heard it from a bloke down the pub / on Facebook" which is what you seem to be doing, and then, if you still fail to understand your legal rights, seek a solicitor.

You may also need to speak to the neighbour, that is the most logical and what any given solicitor will advise in the first instance.

Only after that will a solicitor likely delve deeper & fully tell you your legal rights, much of which, by that time, you will have fully researched and have some comprehension anyhow. A legal letter from your chosen solicitor does do wonders for belligerent fools and may help you in the long run.

It's not rocket science, but takes a bit of initiative and gumption on your part. Some "leg / finger work" too.
Yes we looked at the deeds and the boundary fence is jointly owned not his. So he should get our agreement before changing the fence and we said no, leave the fence alone.

We have had a surveyor measure up and he will produce an open letter with his findings. We have also appointments to talk to our solicitors as well as citizens advice. I said to the neighbour I don't want to go to court over it and I also told him that he shouldn't want that either.

Yes I've looked it up on the internet. The neighbour also suggested we use google and I said 'Google won't put the fence back.' Well maybe Google have moved into fence construction but I doubt it LOL :rotfl: !

So it's just a 'what if' to make the OPs fence issue look less worrying. :)

Sounds like you have covered most bases.

I would see what the survey says, then take all this to the solicitors. CAB may be more difficult in thee times however.

Let the solicitors send a letter. Sounds like that's what's really needed, a legally headed letter with all the weight that this entails. It may tip the balance in your favour, let's hope so.

Ultimately he may face having to reinstate the fence and a broken relationship with you, his neighbours thereafter.

If only this was true...

The subtleties of land ownership and boundary disputes has made a lot of lawyers and surveyors very rich, particularly as theft of land is not really recognised, just encroachment, civil trespass, adverse possession and proprietary estoppel etc. Dimensions found on conveyance plans should not be considered legally binding: they come with no statements of measurement method, quality control used, or from exactly where to exactly where each dimension was measured. Even if you apply to legally register a boundary with the Land Registry, its precise position can still be challenged.

A title deed will not show the Legal Boundary between properties with any great accuracy either. If you consider the accuracy of the map, it's probably based upon a 1:2500 or 1:1250 base map, so the accuracy is at best about 500mm. Fences might be marked with the legal owner, but even that can be disputed if the physical position on the ground doesn't match the line on the map!

Even party walls can be a problem. Most people think that the Legal Boundary runs down the centre line of the wall, but this is not always the case. You might find you only own the plaster on the wall and the brick work is the property of your neighbour. Linked properties over shared footpaths can throw up all sorts of issues, including Flying Freehold and access.

Many older title deeds rely on "Metes and Bounds", which is a system using distances, angles and directions. Although this is more common with agricultural land, there's still quite a few domestic plots out there described in the same way. This can lead to massive errors, as they are cumulative as the boundary progresses around the plot.

Modern developments are a pain, as the plots are drawn up well ahead of construction and very often are not revised once the estate is built, leading to quite significant errors. On our estate of 150+ homes, the error is almost 12M from the initial build phase to the last, but the title deeds are all based on the initial plan! The shapes and approx sizes of plots are probably reasonable - and most boundaries are marked out with fence lines and in the case of open plan front gardens, concrete edging, but if you went solely by the title deeds, you might well find you are occupying your neighbour's garden... Of course, the original boundaries created by the developers, coupled with any evidence of their intent would be used to establish the legal boundary in the case of a dispute.

in the case of a "shared" fence being removed, you probably need to establish that it's in the original position to start off with. You also need to know if the deed of covenant controlling the shared fence is still enforceable. In some cases - such as if the fence line has moved or the boundary marker replaced - IE a hedge with a wall or similar, the covenant may no longer apply.

I'm wondering what the OP decided to do in the end if anything.
tenor (3).gif

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom