Am I Stupid.... TV through my PJ!!!

G

garyhun

Guest
I am new to PJ. Set up my system only a couple of weeks ago....it's a Sharp XV-Z200e with a Sony DAV DZ500 and I love it.

So...now I want to also watch the rugby and footy from the TV through it - easy, or so I thought!!!

In the living room upstairs I have a freeview box which then sends a signal to all the TV outlets throughout the house so that I can watch normal terrestrial TV on all sets and one freeviews channel (whichever it's set on in the living room). I just thought that I could plug the aerial cable in the cinema room into the back of a VCR and then connect that to the DVD player of the DAV500 system using Red, White and Yellow composite type cables (with a scart adapter on the VCR end) leaving the normal composite outs from DVD to the PJ where they are. When I do this the sound comes out wonderfully but the PJ gets no input signal!!!

So what am I doing wrong. Is this not possible .... do I need a second freeview box in the cinema room rather than a VCR or what.... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
a freeview box in cinema room will give much better PQ but your idea should work, are you sure the DAV will switch compoiste video? and what cable runs from DAV to PJ? Just a composite cable (Yello RCA lead?)
If you are using composite for DVD you are missing out on a huge amount and wasting 50% of the money you have spent on this set-up
 

Darko

Well-known Member
I useed a second free view box (I had lying around) and I also use composite from box to PJ and from box to av receiver, not the best quality but hey its only for tv.

Darko
 
G

garyhun

Guest
hornydragon said:
a freeview box in cinema room will give much better PQ but your idea should work, are you sure the DAV will switch compoiste video? and what cable runs from DAV to PJ? Just a composite cable (Yello RCA lead?)
If you are using composite for DVD you are missing out on a huge amount and wasting 50% of the money you have spent on this set-up

No!!! The DAV to PJ is proper component video cable - RGB. The RCA lead is from the vcr to the DAV. The audio works but for some reason the PJ gets no siignal!! According to the manual for the DAV this is all I need to do..... AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
I have come across a couple of VCRs in the past which only pass through video if they are recording at the time. This is probably not the case in your situation as audio seems to be passing through ok, you might want to try it though.

Also if you only have your DAV connected to the PJ using component then you might be asking too much of the DAV to take a composite source and up convert it to component. Have you also got composite connected from the DAV to your PJ ?

Regards
KH
 

cyberheater

Well-known Member
Move your freeview box near you PJ and connect is up directly. Make sure your output on the freeview is not set to RGB. It needs to be set to composite out.

If that works. Start working your way back.
 
G

garyhun

Guest
KeithHurst said:
I have come across a couple of VCRs in the past which only pass through video if they are recording at the time. This is probably not the case in your situation as audio seems to be passing through ok, you might want to try it though.

Also if you only have your DAV connected to the PJ using component then you might be asking too much of the DAV to take a composite source and up convert it to component. Have you also got composite connected from the DAV to your PJ ?

Regards
KH

Keith - the room was pre wired when I purchased the house so the only cables coming out of the wall at the PJ end and the DAV end were 3 component cables (RBG) I have just looked again and there is also a single other cable at the PJ end that looks like a single component video cable. At the DVD end this is labeled video/audio from living room and alongside this is a grey cable that looks like the female end of an small audio connection - a small audio jack? So I am guessing this is the feed from the living room and is in addition to a normal coax aerial cable that I have in the back of the video (which I can onlty get audio from but no picture to the PJ)

The Q is where do I plug this component cable and female jack at the DVD end? DO I need another freeview box here????
 
G

garyhun

Guest
cyberheater said:
Move your freeview box near you PJ and connect is up directly. Make sure your output on the freeview is not set to RGB. It needs to be set to composite out.

If that works. Start working your way back.

I tried this before but by unplugging the freeview box from upstairs I lose the signal to all the other outletys around the house as the freeview box seems to use its RF out to power a distribution box somewhere in the house!!!

I do want to get a Humax 9200 anyway so maybe I'll just get that upstairs and use the old freeview box in the cinema room!!!
 

cyberheater

Well-known Member
garyhun said:
I tried this before but by unplugging the freeview box from upstairs I lose the signal to all the other outletys around the house as the freeview box seems to use its RF out to power a distribution box somewhere in the house!!!

I do want to get a Humax 9200 anyway so maybe I'll just get that upstairs and use the old freeview box in the cinema room!!!

I meant only disconnect and move the freeview box to your PJ for testing purposes. If that works. Try running it directly thru the VCR and then to the PJ.

BTW. Have you tried running a video tape thru the vcr and does it come out the PJ?
 
G

garyhun

Guest
cyberheater said:
I meant only disconnect and move the freeview box to your PJ for testing purposes. If that works. Try running it directly thru the VCR and then to the PJ.

BTW. Have you tried running a video tape thru the vcr and does it come out the PJ?

Yes....again only audio!!!
 

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
garyhun said:
Keith - the room was pre wired when I purchased the house so the only cables coming out of the wall at the PJ end and the DAV end were 3 component cables (RBG) I have just looked again and there is also a single other cable at the PJ end that looks like a single component video cable. At the DVD end this is labeled video/audio from living room and alongside this is a grey cable that looks like the female end of an small audio connection - a small audio jack? So I am guessing this is the feed from the living room and is in addition to a normal coax aerial cable that I have in the back of the video (which I can onlty get audio from but no picture to the PJ)

The Q is where do I plug this component cable and female jack at the DVD end? DO I need another freeview box here????

If you connect this 'other' cable into the composite input of the PJ and the other end into the composite out of the DVD. Then as you say you already have your VCR out going into a composite in of the DVD, if you set the input on the PJ to composite ( through its menu system ) and put in a video as Cyber has suggested do you then get a pic ?

If not then go buy a spare freeview box and plug it directly into the PJ, taking the audiio into the DAV. It would be by far the easiest solution.

Sorry to be of no further help.

KH
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
the problem is a DAV system will not vert Composite to Component which it would need to for this to work your VCR needs to be connected to the PJ via that singal wire on the plate
 
G

garyhun

Guest
hornydragon said:
the problem is a DAV system will not vert Composite to Component which it would need to for this to work your VCR needs to be connected to the PJ via that singal wire on the plate

Thanks!!!! Well at least I know what to look out for for my next system!!
 
G

garyhun

Guest
KeithHurst said:
If you connect this 'other' cable into the composite input of the PJ and the other end into the composite out of the DVD. Then as you say you already have your VCR out going into a composite in of the DVD, if you set the input on the PJ to composite ( through its menu system ) and put in a video as Cyber has suggested do you then get a pic ?

If not then go buy a spare freeview box and plug it directly into the PJ, taking the audiio into the DAV. It would be by far the easiest solution.

Sorry to be of no further help.

KH

Hopefully that will solve my problem!!!! Hope So!!!
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom