Am I stretching too far?

Talbz

Novice Member
I am converting my detached double garage 4.8m by 5m into a man cave with bar etc. I've always wanted a home cinema but can't justify the space for that single use.

When converting I'd like to take the opportunity to install a surround sound system by cabelling within the walls. My hope is a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 setup with front floorstanders, in wall surrounds, rears and ceiling speakers.

The two questions I have are on cost and performance.

My budget is c. £3k for both amp and speakers so will I be able to get a decent system? And given the room will not be dedicated cinema space with laminate floor etc will I even feel the benefit from such a solution? Would a standard 5.1 but better quality speakers be a better option?

Harkon321

Things like soft furnishings, large rug etc can really help if the room is too live. Or made need panels on walls. Yes, it's possible budget wise. Personally, I'm a big fan of the classifieds on here, makes your money go further - if you can wait for the right kit to come up.

Talbz

Novice Member
That's a good idea about the rug. I am worried about how "live" it will be. I'm not even planning to have carpet down for instance.

Can canvas pictures act as panels on the walls?

Thanks I will look at the classifieds. I guess I should try to be consistent with the brand of speaker if possible?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
The canvas itself won't absorb much sound, but you can fill the back with old towels, which will help.

Before working out how many speakers you want, you should probably come out with a room layout etc. That will help narrow down your priorities. You'll need to think who/what the bar is for - how often it'll be used, and is it for sports or films etc. And work out what you're doing for screen etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom