Am I starting from the wrong place here?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rupes42, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Rupes42

Rupes42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of building a system and currently have the following

Fujitsu Siemens 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 processor
    1 GB RAM
    200 GB HDD
    Radeon 9600 XT-4 128MB Primary and Secondary
    Hauppaauge WinTV 88x (DVB-T + IR)
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound Card
    DTS Amp and Speakers (I am happy with this bit)

I have not yet bought the plasma screen or tried to connect all this together but would like to know:

1) Is it likely to perform to any reasonable standard if I connect it up correctly?

2) Does this equipment do justice to spending £3K on a plasma screen (probably the panasonic TH50 PHW6)?

3) If the answer to either of the above is no, what do I need to change?

Thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

That's certainly a damned good system for an HTPC, in fact it's almost too good as far as CPU power is concerned. :)

IMHO you'd be better off with a Northwood than a Prescott, less heat means less fan noise keeping it cool. Put it on an ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe board and you've got a great platform.

Plenty of processor power so running FFDSHOW with nearly any filter you could want won't be a problem, a good graphics card .. some would suggest an nVidia 6600 perhaps but from my experience with a 6800GT and a 9600 SE I can't say it made much difference .. just make sure you get a fanless one. If you're interested in gaming too then I'd suggest going with a 6800GT probably.

Can't comment on the TV card, not something I know about. For the disk I'd suggest a Seagate Barracuda for quietness.

3. Rupes42

Rupes42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

I have read alot on this site where people talk about fan noise e.t.c. doesn't the noise of the PC just end up like air conditioning i.e. you only notice once it is switched off?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well obviously noise affects people in different ways, generally I'm oblivious to PC noises, at work there are 4 in the small office I have and I also have an air/con on a lot, but when watching a movie I find a relatively quiet PC a distraction .. I thus use water-cooling.

5. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do not want to get a 6800GT or the Ultra as it does not fully support purevideo which is the main reason why the nVidia card is better than the ATIs. You need to get a GeForce 6800/6600GT/6600/6200.

I personally have the 6600GT.

Ho yin

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Could you indicate where you got that info about PureVideo? The announcement I read inferred it was available on all NV4x chips, nVidia in the past stated only WMV acceleration was missing from the NV40 (aka 6800).

7. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "What was once known only as the NV4x Video Processor has now been given the marketing name PureVideo. PureVideo is exclusively available on the GeForce 6 series of GPUs and only the latest GeForce 6 GPUs have a fully functional PureVideo core. The original NV40 and NV45 (GeForce 6800GT/Ultra) do not have functional Windows Media Video 9 decode acceleration, but the rest of the GeForce 6 series are feature complete (GeForce 6800/6600GT/6600/6200)."

So only the 6800/6600GT/6200 are feature complete. The 6800GT and Ultra are not.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's the report I was thinking of .. that quote is contradictory, first it says PV is only in the latest GPUs, then it says only WMV is missing from the NV40 .. WMV is not PV.

9. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Humm .. my interpretation is that "purevideo" is just the name of the "video processor".

So basically purevideo can do the following:

1) Hardware acceleration of Windows Media Video 9 and MPEG-2 decode

2) Spatial-Temporal Adaptive Per Pixel De-Interlacing (with 3-2 and 2-2 detection)

3) Everything previous NVIDIA GPUs have been able to do

"PureVideo is only partially functional on NV40 and NV45 (GeForce 6800 Ultra and 6800GT, AGP and PCIe), all of the de-interlacing and image quality functionality is there, however those GPUs do not have any WMV9 decode acceleration"

So you do have purevideo but it does not have purevideo WMV9 decode acceleration. Therefore purevideo is not fully functional?

I therefore would still not get the 6800GT or ultra.

Is this your understanding aswell? :confused:

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That quote is what I believe to be the case. AIUI, PV is the PR-bunnies' name for post-processing done in the VPU which contributes to PQ when playing any sort of video. It's this that I base my view that comparing the 6800GT and ATI 9600 on my system I saw little difference and the increased cost of the nVidia coupled with probelms I had getting 50hz refresh leads me to the view that for purely HTPC use it's not worth it.

While WMV acceleration is useful it's really only needed by someone with a lower-power CPU.