Am i screwed?..

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Ashman UK, Mar 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ashman UK

Ashman UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Had my samsung LE32R51BD now from currys for "just" over a month(and this one is the second one ive had..) and today while on my xbox360 dashboard i noticed a dead pixel which is on the left hand of the screen so went to check on the ext1 connection where i have sky+ through rgb and its there in the same place aswell..:-(

Now i rang currys up and told them about this and typically they told me to ring samsung customer service because its over the currys "28 day" exchange or money back gaurantee so i cant do anything with currys.

I rang samsung up to ask them about there dead pixel policy on how many is classed as a fault and the woman at samsung c.s on the other end of the line told me it was over 5! dead pixels before it was classed as a fault so i didnt quaify for an engineer to come out and have a look.

So ive also as was told of currys and have read before with the tv switched off tried "massaging" quite firmly the affected little area a few times with a lint free cloth but it hasnt made any difference.

So as it stands have i now goto keep paying for an lcd tv that has a dead pixel or is there anything at all i can do about this?..to say im pretty p*ssed is an understatement and as this is the third samsung lcd ive had unless im stuck with it, it will be the last one..no offense to anyone who has a samsung lcd which im sure thousands have who have had no problems with them as i didnt for a fair while, but for me, over time, its one problem after another.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    To be honest, I would try and forget it is there. Go and have a few beers before the price goes up. I doubt there is little that anyone will do to resolve the problem to your satisfaction and if it took you a month to find the dead pixel it probably not in a highly visible state.

You made the fatal flaw of finding a dead pixel. If you hadn't, then it would still be there but you wouldn't be worrying about it.

3. Ashman UK

Ashman UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well tbh i wasnt looking for a dead pixel at all so i know for a fact its just appeared there today and admitedly i do sit quite close to the lcd when on my 360 and as u say when your sat there "looking" at it on certain display screens, when using it in general u dont tend to notice it really as u said.

Imo it is completely outrageous though and unacceptable that manufacturers "expect" you to pay a grand or more and put up with a product that has "any" kind of fault with it until it literally falls to pieces before they want to send any kind of engineer/support out to you...that im sure alot of peeps would surely agree with.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think the manufacturers response would be that if they required a 100% perfect screen for it to be used then the cost would be many times the price that it is now.

What would you prefer, a screen costing a grand that may have (up to a defined number) a dead pixel or two grand for a screen that would have no dead pixels?

The choice is there now to a certain extent with some manufacturers paying more attention to the dead pixel count on their more costly models - they won't admit it but I am sure that the panels would be graded and the better ones going to the premium models - its exactly what happened with CRTs.

I know its now what you want to hear but I think its the reality - manufacturing costs have been dramatically cut due to the consumer wanting cheaper and cheaper models and part of the saving is made by using lower quality components.

5. Ashman UK

Ashman UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That is a very good explanation ian on what manufacturers probably do with the "cheaper" models and tbh now when i switch the samsung on i do literally have to "look" for the little dead pixel which is only a bit in from the left and thats the same each time i take my eyes away from the screen and/or play a game for awhile/watch sky+ etc before looking again from time to time.

Maybe that saying is true though..you only get what you pay for..to an extent here, or maybe in this case, not all cases with other users of course.:)