Am I rude?

Note- It should be perfectly legal to bludgeon the Currys sales staff to death when they try to sell you an extended warranty on small items like a kettle.

Or a mouse mat (true story).

Actually... ever tried Argos recently?
It doesn't seam to matter how much the item costs... it can be £3.50, but the staff ask if you'd like the extended warranty EVERY single time. You can see they are embarrassed to ask, but again as long as they back down on a shake of the head I don't mind so much.

Clinton cards.

Finally got the till to pay for a card

Till Person -We have special offer on xxx today would you like one
Me -No thanks
Till Person - Can I interest you on a 2 for 1 xxx
Me -No thanks
Till Person - Finally would you like to buy an xxx
Me - Are you targeted on x-sell conversion or what
Till Person -very very heavily by the area manger
Me -We’ll I resent the technique because whilst I don’t care about saying No, many people including my mother would no be as comfy and, by the third time you asked her to buy something she probably would just say yes to be polite so, you can tell your area manager your organisations strategy has cost them a sale - goodbye

Clinton cards.

Finally got the till to pay for a card

Till Person -We have special offer on xxx today would you like one
Me -No thanks
Till Person - Can I interest you on a 2 for 1 xxx
Me -No thanks
Till Person - Finally would you like to buy an xxx
Me - Are you targeted on x-sell conversion or what
Till Person -very very heavily by the area manger
Me -We’ll I resent the technique because whilst I don’t care about saying No, many people including my mother would no be as comfy and, by the third time you asked her to buy something she probably would just say yes to be polite so, you can tell your area manager your organisations strategy has cost them a sale - goodbye

Just go to your local petrol station. They probably sell cards, flowers, chocolates, alcohol and pasties all in one place. One stop shop!

And what's great is you'll probably end up having the booze and pasty all for yourself. :clap:

Just go to your local petrol station. They probably sell cards, flowers, chocolates, alcohol and pasties all in one place. One stop shop!

And what's great is you'll probably end up having the booze and pasty all for yourself. :clap:

I really don’t get what petroleum stations, flowers, alcohol and pasties and then having them all to myself has to do with my post.

Thing is, and I appreciate this is me not you, I really wish I did

Although the other week I sacked a landlord I worked for because I felt he made me chase a payment for too long,
How does someone go about sacking someone they work for?

How do you deal with pushy sales people?
A T-shirt with 'Sales person... Leave me alone' in big letters across the front?
I normally say 'English no very good. You speak Punjabi?'

PS. OP you were rude. The reaction you got from the salesperson was also completely unacceptable. I would have told the salesperson I don't need any assistance but I'd be sure to seek them out if or when I did. There's no comeback for the salesperson from that.

My folks once went into a Merc dealership to order a new one - they knew what they wanted before they went in. The salesman still managed to annoy them, so they left, drove 30 miles to the next town over and ordered it from that stealership instead :laugh:
Did the same myself after the salesman knocked a couple hundred £ from the value of our trade in after we'd shook on the deal and I was about to sign the paperwork. Told him in no uncertain terms he'd pissed me off and was about to lose the sale. He spoke to his boss, then offered to honour the original trade in price.

I still wonder how his discussion went with his boss after I walked out. I'm almost certain it was his boss's idea to change the deal at the last thinking I had my foot in the door

I very rarely go into my local Currys.

When I do, trying to find a salesperson is a bit like when David Attenbrough waits days for some extremely rare species to show itself in one of his nature documentaries.

I only tend to go in there if I've ordered something online via their 'click and collect' system.

I remember a few years ago though, I was considering some headphones that were around £300 but Currys were selling them for £250. I went to my local store and engaged in the 'hunt' for the lesser spotted sales assistant.

I finally found one and asked if I could have a demo of the headphones in question. "I'm not an expert on headphones, I'm a white goods expert... but I'll get somebody to help you" was the reply.

I was dismayed to see this person leave after my strenuous efforts to find one initially. But after a few minutes, another of these rare animals approached me.

"I believe you want some help with headphones?"

"Yes" I replied.

So, the headphones were hanging on a wall display with lots of other models. They were attached with security cables that went through holes in the display wall to stop people stealing them.

I told the salesman I wanted to demo the headphones. He said that was fine and proceeded to pull them off the display.

Unfortunately, the security cable only allowed them to travel a few inches, not enough for me to put them on my head.

Over the course of the next ten minutes, several of these shy creatures appeared and proceeded to try and work out how to release the headphones. One suggested taking the display panel off the wall but didn't have a screwdriver in order to do this.

The alpha male of the group, the one we call 'manager' was unable to assert his dominance by failing to release the headphones. His place in the group was challenged by several younger members who also tried to release the item.

Eventually I was told I wouldn't be able to listen to the headphones.

I asked if they had a pair in stock that I could try but was told they couldn't take a pair out of the box. I asked if I could buy them with a view to taking them home to demo them but was told I wouldn't be able to return them if I wasn't happy.

So I said "you're going to let a potential £250 sale go just because you can't get the item off the wall for me to demo?"

"Yes" was the reply.

Regarding the OP of this thread, you think you were rude?

At this point in my attempt to demo these headphones, the Currys staff were told in no uncertain terms how idiotic they were. I can't even tell you what I said because the swear filter on this site would probably explode under the strain of filtering words and phrases that would have made 'The Exorcist' seem like an episode of Teletubbies.

And did I feel bad... no!

I think the last time a Currys salesman offered me advice on a TV, I politely engaged only to ask a series of questions that had him perplexed, confused and with a look behind his eyes akin to a large but empty hotel.

I think I finished that conversation by saying I will seek advice on the TV in question by popping across to the Mothercare over the road.

Last edited:
Op you where brusque equally the sales person was rude, so I would call it a draw :laugh:

If you want to be left alone when you go shopping then just do what I do, go pull down a ceiling, climb down a man hole, roll in some mud, etc and then go directly to the shop without washing/cleaning 1st. Works wonders :clap:

So I guess maybe I was both a little harsh and appropriate..

I've always been seen as extremely pacifistic, gentle ... wouldn't say boo to a goose etc...so this was quite out of character for me, and I did feel bad afterwards.

Still narks me though that he chose to pursue me after I'd given clear indication that I wanted to be left alone.

How do you deal with pushy sales people?
A T-shirt with 'Sales person... Leave me alone' in big letters across the front?
It depends on the length of time between engagements in all honesty but I probably would have told him which TV and model number and politely asked to be left alone unless he literally asked the initial question and 30 seconds later the 2nd I may have reacted like you. Then my reply may have been, "yes it's important but not to you, I probably have more technical knowledge than you so thanks but no thanks" all learnt on here of course :D.

Then my reply may have been, "yes it's important but not to you, I probably have more technical knowledge than you so thanks but no thanks" all learnt on here of course :D.
But this site knows nothing and what we do know is all wrong! (Or so I was told at sevenoaks) now which £200 hdmi lead would the customer like? :rotfl:

In the past in Currys I've been asked if I need some help and I've said "Yes please just pass me the remote for that TV and leave me alone for 20 mins whilst I insert this USB full of content to test it"

Haven't read the whole thread but the words exchanged is only a small part of the altercation, tone of voice and body language are everything. All depends on how aggressive the tone of voice were from both of you.

Edit. I worked in retail part time as a teenager and some people just treat you poorly as a worker. Just because you work in a shop doesn't give you license to be rude to people. Some come in with the 'customer is always right' viewpoint and use that to justify poor manners and general courtesy goes out the window. You see this a lot in restaurants too. I'm the customer = license to be rude.

I'm saying this bit as a general observation, rather than saying it's the OP by the way.

Last edited:
Sounds like you were both a bit rude to each other in equal amounts but no real harm done.

But this site knows nothing and what we do know is all wrong! (Or so I was told at sevenoaks) now which £200 hdmi lead would the customer like? :rotfl:
I've recently been rather annoyed in a hifi store. I went in and inquired about a new amp.
I currently have a 5.1 Onkyo with a second zone. It cost me about £250 when new. Told this to the guy and said I just want something to replace it that will pass through UHD.
Very quickly he came up with an amp that would "do everything I needed"
Unfortunately he didn't ask many questions at all, but he was excited that this amp was actually in stock.
The amp he recommend was £1100, it was a 7.2 unit, it was also much,much larger than my current amp so would never fit in my unit.
Great, cheers mr sales guy :facepalm:
I then had a look around the shop and there in the corner was an amp that was perfect. I didn't buy it but at least I know what to look for.

I was in curry's this morning just browsing at TVs when a sales assistant came up to me and said 'do you need any help Sir', to which I gave my standard reply 'no thanks I'm just having a look around'.

Now I'm not the easiest person to sell too at the best of times and like to do my own research ... I don't like being bothered when I'm shopping.

Normally my reply is enough... But this guy followed me and said 'what TV have you got at the moment'?

I'll be honest.. I've had a lot of stuff going on my life recently and my patience isn't what it once was.... So i asked 'why does that matter.? .. I just want to look around Thanks'.

The guy then sort of turned on me and said aggressively.. 'of course it matters if you're looking at TVs... I was only asking... Jeez'.

At which point I felt a mixture of uncomfortable, irritated, and also slightly guilty for my reaction.

So was I rude or justified?

I think you're justified and not rude at all, you made it clear the answer to his question was "No" you didn't need any help but he continued to pester you, he's either rude or stupid to approach you again. By saying "why does it matter I just want to look around thanks" is answering his question but also telling him again you don't want to engage with him, not rude IMO, his reaction was out of order.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom