am I really so unusual?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by adnydrum, Jan 6, 2019.

1. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      About 9 years ago, after lots of research, visiting stores with a few of my favourite movies on disc, and a lot of reading the excellent discussions here; I replaced my (beautiful) Sony widescreen CRT tv with a Panasonic plasma. I got into HD on Freesat and very much enjoyed it, along with dvd's and blu-rays. I still do but now on Freeview not Freesat. The tv (TXP37X10B) still works perfectly, looks great for all the plasma reasons, and has never had any malfunction or burn-in/image retention problems.

Fast forward to now and I fancy something newer; mostly for better audio connection possibilities but also for HDR. (To me 4K is 'meh' but contrast and proper blacks are where it's at.) As we all do I've looked at many screens at all price points and the only thing I've seen which runs the plasma close is OLED. The problem with that is there are no OLED's of a sensible size - they are just not made.

And this is my point, on which I'd love to hear people's thoughts: who the hell thought 55" (or larger) was practical/desirable/affordable, to the point that all the serious technology is only available in tv's which could double as a dividing wall in my typical British two-bedroom home?

At this stage I should make it clear that I'm essentially a music-lover and audiophile, but I love movies and have to be able to really enjoy great film-making at home. c.£1500 and upwards on a television is absurd enough in itself, but it makes me mad that everything is now so spectacularly, marriage-endangeringly huge. I DON'T want a television to dominate my home life, and as for the 'immersive experience' rubbish; (sales talk) who wants to be 'immersed' in Hollyoaks, The One Show, or TOWIE etc.? <shudder> Sit three feet in front of a tv the size of a bay window? Does anyone do that? Seems to me the manufacturers have all but abandoned making top tech available in sizes which many people seem to want; not just me.

Or - as the title suggests - am I really so unusual?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    2. Atavus

Atavus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +145
      You are the minority and the TV makers don’t address that market. Stick with what you have and blame it on your wife.

3. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      Love this, I’m very similar! I live in a new build two bed, so you may be able to imagine how small all of the rooms are. My 43” looks big in the living room, and going up to 49/50” would simply dominate the whole room (the girlfriend doesn’t want it to be the focal point!) All of the good technology is now out of my size range, so it’s not even a case of budgeting now. The dearest TV at this size is only about £600, but doesn’t tick all of the boxes. I’m going to buy my new TV soon though, as rumours indicate this year onwards is going to be even worse at the ‘small’ 43” end of the market...

4. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,308
      I have a room layout where a large TV makes sense but that is my personal preference.
      OLED is still at an early stage and production costs are higher than LCD so I suspect smaller OLED TVs would be too expensive compared with LCD TVs.

5. next010

next010
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,087
      LG I think a while back said something like 2022 might see 40" OLED's.

The industry has been pushing higher and higher screen sizes, some believe it's to keep prices up. But in the case of OLED it may be related to manufacturing costs I read on OLED-Info allegedly LG was only barely making a profit on the 55" models.

PC monitors are starting to grow in size too, a new OLED monitors are in development, I wouldn't be surprised to see 32" or bigger in the future, which might stand in for a TV (speakers and HDMI are increasingly common on monitors).

But yeah not all rooms need monster size displays but unfortunately the latest and greatest display tech is limited to that.

6. SyStemDeMoN

SyStemDeMoN

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      I'm lucky I have a living room large enough to accommodate a large screen and a wife who also likes having a big screen.

7. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,610
      Isn't the size of TVs nowadays driven by the fact they've gone 4K and the science that below a certain physical panel size, your eyes can't discern the 4K resolution?

I'm still more than happy with my 46" Sony W905 1080p TV.

8. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      There's no doubt in my mind about that; I don't believe for a minute that OLED arrays can only be made cost-effectively in 55" or 65" panels.

9. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Interesting; hopefully someone who understands the tech properly can chip-in? I'm inclined to think it's yet more marketing at work. Remember the 'HD-Ready' vs 'Full HD' debate? Every manufacturer fell over themselves to persuade us that Full HD was the only thing worth considering, yet from a distance of greater than approximately 18" from a screen the human eye detects no difference whatsoever between 720 and 1080.

10. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Infuriating, isn't it?

11. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Nope; she is both tech-savvy and highly discerning :)

12. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +401
      :D
      I see a wall as somewhere to hang stuff useful. Back in the cave woman days it was bear skins or skulls of the neighbours you didn't get along with. Favourite clubs, spears and stuff. Stuff and trends move on, went through tapestries and cross bows and shields or crowns and now to the century of tat. You know, mirrors in the shape of words with "love in this house" all covered in glitter etc. (shudders)

For my down time I could go buy a picture of some Petunias (hate the shiny tat with an evil passion), or the picture of New York that everyone has from Ikea, nail that lot to the wall and look at them or go get a great 4k film and watch that. If the TV takes up a fair percentage, of wall space so much the better. That hint of green egg shell special one off paint from the pretentious emporium of stupid colours is not going to improve with watching (or magnolia, always magnolia around for some reason).

I look on size as a benefit if it covers the wall;)

Technology will ever move on, some good and some bad but my only regret with a 4k 55" is that I should have got a 65".

Sod focal points for rooms, some face book fad in a plant pot sprayed in golden orange or wall hanging that everyone has, stick some tech in and enjoy it. Yes it will get used for SD when 4k is available (oh, is there 4k? oh yeah it does look better....), but feed it right and it will make your eyes love you for ever. Or until you are planted 6' under. Which ever is sooner.

(I like 4k, others are not so fussed)
      :)

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    13. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +92
      Your comment on differentiating resolutions is some-what correct, but there is more to consider and it's not all marketing talk.

Ability to discern the difference in resolution is a combination of both the distance from the screen and the screen's size. To take your TV size (37") as an example, you should be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at distances of less than 7', but that distance reduces to 4.5' if you want to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      Imgur
      (Apologises, I tried to attach a picture, but it didn't work, so I have just linked it instead)

So if your distance from the screen can't change, because you don't want to move your sofa into the middle of the room; in order to take advantage of the higher resolutions, you would need to have a bigger screen. E.G. if your seating area from your TV is always 6', but you were upgrading to 4K. To see the difference between 1080p and 4K your TV would need to increase in size from 32" to 45".

Otherwise, you're not taking advantage of the increase in resolution of 4K and eventually any future increases, with 8K being available already. Hence manufacturers putting the "higher end" features only into their bigger TVs, it's only in the bigger TVs that you will be able to tell the difference, since they know most people aren't moving closer to their TVs, so they have to make the TVs bigger.

14. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      I think we shudder at the same things. I agree about wall-usefullness: if I had any I'd use it. Sadly, of the four available, one is patio doors, one has a chimney breast in it, the one opposite the chimney breast is wearing a radiator and the last one contains storage. Ya, know; for stuff one needs like books/records/dvd's. Hence an alcove to one side of the chimney breast is the space for the tv, and space is limited.

Can't agree about bigger always being better though; when the tv is off - a significant chunk of my existence - I'd really rather not see it at all...

15. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Interesting perspective, if I had a lounge the size of a tennis court I'd certainly pull the couch forward a tad :)

16. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +401
      Ah, ok (I missed that bit).

17. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +92
      To add to it from a personal standpoint, I recently bought a new TV to replace my old 1080p 40" Sony.

Due to all the higher end TVs being 4K now, and sitting at a distance of 6' from where the TV is in the room, at that distance I wouldn't actually be benefiting from the 4K resolution; as I would not be able to see the additional detail from such a distance.

As such I decide to get a larger TV, resulting in my getting a 55" TV to replace the 40" TV. The alternative being to buy another 40" but move the sofa forward 2', which would have left an odd and unusable gap behind the sofa.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    18. paulgreenwoodlad

paulgreenwoodlad
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      This sounds like a very sensible upgrade!!

19. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +774
      A TV is only big for a few weeks and then its not, seriously in my living room over the last 27 years I have gone from 20", 36", 40" to 55" and still kick myself for not paying the extra to go the 65" after the first couple of weeks of the big screen drama died down. It is amazing how a big screen just stops being big and becomes normal very soon.

I even have a 40" in the bedroom and when that ones dies I will probably move the 55" OLED from the lining room in there and upgrade to a 65"

All the fancy stuff you want will probably filter down to the more smaller and budget TVs in future but for now it is probably cost prohibitive to make OLEDs any smaller, I recall the samething with plasma's right if you wanted smaller then 42" you had to get a LCD.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    20. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +92
      I agree with this, I normally move TVs around in the house once I get a new one E.G. old lounge TV goes into the family room, family room to the bedroom, etc. so everywhere ends up with a better and bigger TV; but it isn't long before the new size looks normal.

I think for most people, rightly or wrongly, the TV is the focal point of the lounge/living room; it certainly is for my house. Not because we are slaves to it, but because everything else we do is normally outside the house (gym, socializing, etc). When I am at home, I'm either watching TV, playing on my PC, reading in bed or sleeping; with the lounge only really being used for watching TV, so the focal point of that room is the TV.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    21. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Fair shout: in our place the hifi rules; except for when we want a movie

22. adnydrum

adnydrum
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Yep that makes sense. For me, given the (non-changeable) layout of the room; the *absolute* largest size I could go to would be 49". If I were to buy anything new it would be mainly for more up-to-date audio connectivity than anything else so I'm keeping eyes open for a used plasma, around 46"/48" ;)

23. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +92
      In our house, it is mostly movies; or binge watched TV shows to the point they feel like a long movie! :laugh:

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    24. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,060
      No, OP, you're not unusual.

On the one hand, size is everything in contemporary culture as it signifies wealth and status. Also, in fairness to the TV manufacturers, modern screens do look to replicate the cinema experience, hence a larger TV to do a widescreen image justice (you'll be amazed how much the image shrinks with those black bars).

But, on the other hand, room sizes aren't correspondingly getting bigger and people like yourself are having to shoehorn a big TV into a space it's not really designed to fit, so it just ends up looking dominant and ridiculous.

I do tend to agree with Post #19 though: I've also gone on a TV journey from a 14" portable to my current 65" OLED and it's easily the best TV I've ever had. It helps that the room's 15 x 10 and I can sit 9 feet away, any closer and it would feel a bit overwhelming.

We may reach a stage whereby a PC monitor would fit your criteria better: UHD, HDR and around 40" as the trend with TV's is bigger, not smaller.

25. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +774
    26. tickedon

tickedon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      I have some sympathy for your view!

My parents have a great high-end LCD from ~6 years ago but it's only 37 or 39". The bezels are huge and it's overdue replacement. But none of the current TVs of a similar size would be an upgrade as far as motion (dropping from 100hz to 50hz etc.), backlighting (new one would be edge) etc. are concerned. There is also no way they'd take a 55" TV or indeed pay £1500 for an OLED. It is a real shame no manufacturer is making even 'good' smaller TVs - I wanted a 32" TV a couple of years back and struggled to find any that were 1080p!

A second hand high end 1080p TV from a couple of years back is probably my best bet for them, and you.

27. KyleS1

KyleS1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,589
      I had a 40” Samsung LCD that I loved. It served me well but ultimately died and needed to be replaced. The designs had changed so much since I bought it that the 50” I replaced with was only 10cm wider and about the same taller. Now I have a screen that is much more enjoyable to watch for movies, for roughly the same real estate space as the 40” I had before. It’s worth getting the dimensions and measuring up to see what the actual size difference will be. Back then the bezels were massive, and now they are tiny.

28. Tuono r

Tuono r
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      KyleS1, is right here.
      I had a Panasonic 46" which failed after 7 years, so new tv was needed .
      I had always joked to the wife that I needed a 55/65". Now way was the answer.
      Anyway. In the showroom was a 55" shouting at me. Again she says no way.
      So the salesman measured the 55" tv. The exact size of our 46", but without the large frame round the outside.
      The new tv sits in the same location as the old one. With just a 5mm gap before the shelf.
      So if you measure an old 42" you'll find a modern 50/55" will be virtually the same overall size. (In most cases)

29. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +519
      Here's my take (already have a feeling it won't be popular around these parts), but there seems to be (in the online AV 'community' at least) a strong case of one-upmanship/show-off-ness and 'I'm right/you're wrong/mine is better than yours', etc, and it's especially evident in screen size question threads (which are often answered with ''get the biggest you can/go bigger than you want" - the same is seen in audiophile sections where someone asks for advice on a modest system and is told to spend 3x their budget or else they'll be apparently wasting their money).

I'm not sure where it comes from and why all opinions can't be considered equally valid and why it's seen as 'wrong' or at least incorrect to want a smaller screen, modest HiFi/speakers and still be into movies/music.

FWIW, I have what is probably considered a large screen for my small apartment (55" and have had 55" at a time when it was still niche, but this is my personal preference and because I have a vested interest in movies and the cinematic). Many guests, and family members who aren't movie-haters (but not as movie obsessed as myself), consider it to be too big/"huge" for my small place but still enjoy watching it although they go home and remain content with their 32", which I consider too small for their living room (although, when you start watching it, you generally forget about the size).
      Likewise, I'm sure there will be many on here who'd probably think it's too 'small' for my viewing distance of approx 8ft, especially if you're more used to a projector or larger screen. In other words, it's all relative and there's no exact right or wrong (those size charts are science, not personal taste).

My long winded point is, live and let live, and OP shouldn't be berated for liking a smaller screen. As to why he doesn't have oled at his size or why there aren't many high end sets at his size, it's 99% due to business. OLED is strictly for the enthusiasts/home cinema type market right now, and they generally want larger sizes.

As for other high end TVs, it's due to keeping the prices up and making sure the masses go for the more expensive models as the prices of smaller sets become eroded to the point where the margins are almost unjustifiable for name brands to continue offering them. Just look at how quickly prices have fallen.

It's a cutthroat market and considering the high quality of products today it's quite incredible that we're seeing the prices we are. To imagine that you'd even see a name brand 55" 4K Smart TV for £399 even 5 years ago would've been totally unthinkable.

As for high quality sets at your size, OP, the choices are limited and OLED isn't currently and option, although one brand comes to mind for a great quality, luxury LCD set in smaller sizes: Loewe.

30. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,306
      I'll add a 3rd to Kyle's opinion.

I upgraded my old 42" Plasma to a still old but newer 50" plasma from the classifieds. The new 50" is a few centimetres wider, a centimeters shorter and about half the depth. The new one actually dominates the room less than the old one IMO.

To me the bezels on the new one {about 3 cm in total with half thinnish bezel and half a black outline around the visible screen) are tiny but they're big by modern standards do a 55" OLED isn't much different size wise.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019