Am I overdoing it?

gingerone

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have kef e305 system and have been hankering for a new sub so have just ordered an SVS PC 2000 sub.

My room is small (less than 33m3) and I’m concerned the pc 2000 is going to be overkill and a boom monster.

I’ve moved the little kef sub into the corner behind my corner sofa that Svs will have to go into and the increase in bass is insane, my sofa rumbles, the room pressurises and it’s orders of magnitude better than where it was before.

I know the little 8 inch driver can’t get close to deep bass but should I be looking for something a little less of a powerhouse than the svs or will it be ok without me having to EQ the life out of it?

I suspect I’m having a bout of buyer’s anxiety here but would really appreciate some input.

You can't have too much sub wooferage :D and it's easy enough to turn it down if needs be.

As you've just discovered, positioning is everything.

You can't have too much sub wooferage :D and it's easy enough to turn it down if needs be.

As you've just discovered, positioning is everything.
I’m just hoping this doesn’t turn up and I’m sitting there thinking Holy S**t what have I done!!

I’m just hoping this doesn’t turn up and I’m sitting there thinking Holy S**t what have I done!!
Going from a little Kef 8" sub to a proper sub, you probably will ........ but it'll put a smile on your face :D

Should be ok once you get antimode that helped with my pc ultra 13 in bedroom

I know 2000 pro can run sealed can the 2000?

You'll be fine.
Better to have the headroom and be able to dial it down than not have it and wish you could dial it up.

You'll be fine.
Better to have the headroom and be able to dial it down than not have it and wish you could dial it up.

However you could totally overdo it, and would be waste of money and overkill.

Like buying four JTR captivator ULF 4000 in 3mx3m room..with barely room to fit Bose satellite speakers

However you could totally overdo it, and would be waste of money and overkill.

Like buying four JTR captivator ULF 4000 in 3mx3m room..with barely room to fit Bose satellite speakers
This is my concern , would I be better off with something like a BK xls 400 and an Antimode?

That would cost less than the Svs and still be a huge improvement over what I have now plus it would be tamed by EQ

I currently have kef e305 system and have been hankering for a new sub so have just ordered an SVS PC 2000 sub.

My room is small (less than 33m3) and I’m concerned the pc 2000 is going to be overkill and a boom monster.

I’ve moved the little kef sub into the corner behind my corner sofa that Svs will have to go into and the increase in bass is insane, my sofa rumbles, the room pressurises and it’s orders of magnitude better than where it was before.

I know the little 8 inch driver can’t get close to deep bass but should I be looking for something a little less of a powerhouse than the svs or will it be ok without me having to EQ the life out of it?

I suspect I’m having a bout of buyer’s anxiety here but would really appreciate some input.
My room is a total of 33.3m3, I have 4 arendal subs in there along with a hoverboss that has 3 drivers.

You’ll be absolutely fine.

This is my concern , would I be better off with something like a BK xls 400 and an Antimode?

That would cost less than the Svs and still be a huge improvement over what I have now plus it would be tamed by EQ

I don't think you've gone over the top. Other options would be a good sealed sub I'd say better than xls400, I'd go for sb3000. I had pc ultra 13 then replaced that SB ultra 13 in room similar sized

Sealed can also work better in small rooms, to do with room gain.

Unfortunately svs too expensive now. I've just bought two monoprice 13" and they're around pb4000/pn ultra 16 performance for half the price if not more than that.

I don't think you've gone over the top. Other options would be a good sealed sub I'd say better than xls400, I'd go for sb3000. I had pc ultra 13 then replaced that SB ultra 13 in room similar sized
Any recommendations for a sealed downward firing sub below £699

Can't think of any in the price range but if these were available I'd consider them in smaller room. Requiring df means less choice also

Can't think of any in the price range but if these were available I'd consider them in smaller room. Requiring df means less choice also

Because of the placement downfiring is the only option to be honest.

Might have to just bite the bullet and buy an Antimode as well

Yeah antimode is good tool it helped reducing room boom noticed it on brothers pc 2000 pro booming away when I was in the other side of the room after eq bass was there and not annoying

Do you have room correction in your AVR?
No I don't so an antimode would be essential.

I'm actually wondering if a BK Monolith with an Antimode may be a better option, with a second hand costing £150 it works out cheaper, only issue is those monoliths weigh a ton and placing it behind my sofa will be a nightmare

Is this a stereo or home theatre install? Bk do have nice finish but amp design is bit outdated class ab also some issues with hum and buzz.

Both bk and svs have downfirng ported subs.

But at least amp is repairable, problem with class d is pretty much unrepairable.

Performance wise the svs will outclass the bk.

Is this a stereo or home theatre install? Bk do have nice finish but amp design is bit outdated class ab also some issues with hum and buzz.

Both bk and svs have downfirng ported subs.

But at least amp is repairable, problem with class d is pretty much unrepairable.

Performance wise the svs will outclass the bk.

Its a small home cinema set up in my snug.

I've just cancelled the SVS, I re did my sub levels and listened to the War of the worlds clip where the alien comes out of the ground and my room was fully pressurised and the floor and sofa were shaking with every impact.

I do want a new sub to get those lower frequencies but I think spending close to a grand (with an antimode) is just going a step too far.

Back to the drawing board methinks, whatever I pick will need to be a sealed sub tied in with an antimode.

I was looking at the BK p12-300 PR but I'm concerned that the front facing driver would not be able to point at the listening position.

I don't think you overdid it I just spent £3000 on subs. Bigger room though.

Think svs sb3000 would be plenty in that room. You do want some headroom.

I guess just do bit more reading, decide ported or sealed, brands etc.

I can't think of any great value for money sealed subs.

You could get antimode now with existing sub.

I don't think you overdid it I just spent £3000 on subs. Bigger room though.

Think svs sb3000 would be plenty in that room. You do want some headroom.

I guess just do bit more reading, decide ported or sealed, brands etc.

I can't think of any great value for money sealed subs.

You could get antimode now with existing sub.
Agreed,

I think I will get the antimode now and then keep an eye out for a suitable downfiring sub

There's pc ultra 13 for sale but god knows what he's done to covering maybe removed to clean it and couldnt get it back on? That's upgrade over the 2000

Suppose if cat pees on it lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom