Am I overdoing it?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Checked the monoprice monolith 10"? Not df but if you get it.gold vfm

gingerone

Checked the monoprice monolith 10"? Not df but if you get it.gold vfm
There’s just no way that goes in my snug without looking like a sore thumb.

I’ve ordered an Antimode now so will get everything set up as best I can then see how I feel after living with my current sub for a few weeks.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Its a small home cinema set up in my snug.

I've just cancelled the SVS, I re did my sub levels and listened to the War of the worlds clip where the alien comes out of the ground and my room was fully pressurised and the floor and sofa were shaking with every impact.

I do want a new sub to get those lower frequencies but I think spending close to a grand (with an antimode) is just going a step too far.

Back to the drawing board methinks, whatever I pick will need to be a sealed sub tied in with an antimode.

I was looking at the BK p12-300 PR but I'm concerned that the front facing driver would not be able to point at the listening position.

The FF driver doesn´t need to point toward you. There is two PR models as new grade-b with full warranty if black or white would do. Big savings if you want BK.

Shame you cancelled the PC2000 as example SoundAndVision tested PB and SB2000 in 1200cuft room which is about similar as yours i think. He did get the bloat with PB, but after Audussey run it was much better. So yeah Antimode 8033 Cinema required. The PC2000 was 599£ while ago at AVO...

Fortunately, I have a secondary system in my home that's located in a small room (approximately 1,200 cubic feet), so I decided to try the subs there. I co-located each one in the same corner of the room and manually calibrated each of them at an 80-Hz crossover using an SPL meter. Wow, what a difference! In the much smaller space, each sub reproduced deeper bass response that I could feel in my sternum; it shook the house.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member

gingerone

The FF driver doesn´t need to point toward you. There is two PR models as new grade-b with full warranty if black or white would do. Big savings if you want BK.

Shame you cancelled the PC2000 as example SoundAndVision tested PB and SB2000 in 1200cuft room which is about similar as yours i think. He did get the bloat with PB, but after Audussey run it was much better. So yeah Antimode 8033 Cinema required. The PC2000 was 599£ while ago at AVO...

Fortunately, I have a secondary system in my home that's located in a small room (approximately 1,200 cubic feet), so I decided to try the subs there. I co-located each one in the same corner of the room and manually calibrated each of them at an 80-Hz crossover using an SPL meter. Wow, what a difference! In the much smaller space, each sub reproduced deeper bass response that I could feel in my sternum; it shook the house
Once I’ve tried my sub with EQ I will make a decision on which one to get.

I think the PC 2000 with an Antimode was a bit difficult to justify price wise considering how much it’s used.

gingerone

Well my Antimode arrived this morning and I’ve set it all up and redone my levels.

Wow! I’d forgotten how much of a difference these make, I was getting a lot of room gain from corner loading and the boomy sound was actually a bit uncomfortable.

With the Antimode in place all the boom has gone and the bass has texture and musicality again.

For my testing I used the scene in war of the worlds where the alien comes out of the ground, the asteroid sequence in attack of the clones (sonic booms), and the opening of lord of the rings.

In war of the worlds I can hear and feel the rumbles before the ground starts to move and the whole scene has loads of impact and attack.

The seismic charges in attack of the clones sound superb and the implosion of Sauron in lord of the rings feels like it’s blasting across the room.

So for now I’m a happy bunny and will stay with my little 8 inch sub for a few months I think.

gingerone

After much back and fore I’ve just ordered an SVS PB 1000.

It doesn’t feel like such overkill compared to the PC 2000 and is £200 odd cheaper and will be more than enough for my room.

sm1ggsy

Svs pb 100 will be in a different league to what you have now, do not cancel the order

gingerone

Well my SVS PB1000 arrived today, re run my Antimode and adjusted the levels.

Holy cow what a difference I’d forgotten how good a decent sub could be.

All the boom has gone and the bass sounds clean, tight and extremely deep.

The war of of the worlds scene where the alien emerges was unbelievable, it felt like my floor was moving and I could feel the bass in my chest.

sm1ggsy

Glad your happy with it ,can’t go wrong at that price

sm1ggsy

I’m gona recommend underwater there is so many subtle bass tones that sound awesome and some big ones, I use it all the time to set up my system

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom