Am I over doing it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bravogolf, Dec 26, 2011.

1. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Merry Christmas everyone! Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll start my shopping for a major upgrade to my AV setup that I've been planning. I want to get a blu-ray player to compliment this and am looking at either the OPPO BDP-95EU or Denon DBP-2012UD or Marantz UD7006.

I'm thinking the Oppo overall but since I'll be plugging straight into my amp I don't need analogue outputs and what not. Is that all I'm paying the extra for? What I mean is - since I'll be getting the amp (Pioneer SC-LX85) do the work is still worth spending all the money on the Oppo ?

2. Wayne00

Wayne00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    How much!!? Oppo BDP-95EU review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Blu-ray players

Seems like major overkill to me seeing as your amp will be doing 50% of its work for it!

In reality your BluRay may load a few seconds quicker than a £250 3D Bluray player but IMO that's a massive waste of about £600! To think i'd love to be able to afford a £600 telly and your considering paying well over that for a Blu Ray player makes me cry a little haha lol!

(I'm not majorly tech minded but seeing as all the connections you need from your Blu Ray is a single HDMI to your AMP all those connections at the back will sit empty, just like your wallet lol)

Wayne

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,370
    Consider the OPPO BDP93 rather than the 95 if you only intend using HDMI. The benefits gained with the 95 would revolve around its better DACs and power supply that give the player a superior analogue audio output in comparison to the 93. Both players have the exact same video processing and video circuitry so there's no difference in terms of PQ.

The BDP93 is also more comparable to the Denon DBP-2012UD than the the BDP95. The Denon BD player does have some issues relating to the playback of PAL encoded DVD media:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14196144-post2.html

Again, the only real benefits gained from the more expensive Marantz will be in relation to its analogue audio output, something you will not benefit from if relying on HDMI for output. The Marantz may also have limited native cadence support given that Marantz are owned by the same holding company as Denon and their products tend to share many components. Both the Denon and the Marantz players use Anchor Bay video processors while OPPO are currently using Marvell.

If the limited cadence capabilities of the Denon aren't an issue with you then it may prove to be a better buy than an OPPO BDP93? The Denon is now selling for slighly less than the OPPO and has much the same features. The OPPO players do posses 2 HDMI outputs though, but this is unlikely to be of vital importance to you with your Pioneer SC-LX85 and its HDMI 1.4 interface?

You should really take the time to look at the features on offer in relation to both the OPPO BDP93 and the Denon DBP-2012UD and take the time to appraise whether or not you need them? If upscaling and video processing of non Blu-ray media and the extended format support offered by both are of no importance then you need not spend this amount of money on a player. You'll get just as good a picture and audio via HDMI from a cheaper Blu-ray as you'll get from any of the players mentioned so far.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Brill, thanks chaps for your very helpful replies. You've saved me over spending on features I'll certainly never use!

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,874
    I agree with Dante the oppo 93 seems better suited than the 95. I had similar considerations but as I wasn't too fuzzed about the analogue outputs it just didn't make sense to go that step up.

If you still have DVDs the oppo is superb with those, as an upgrade to 59" plasma really showed up how rubbish uscaling was for me.

But besides super bluray playback, a great party trick (to me) is the ability to play Bluray iso's.