am I ok for getting Dolby True HD with my Amp ?

jamieuk23

Banned
Hi I have a Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai Amp and I have it connected to my HD-A1 HD DVD player, using 5.1 with phono cables.

I am just wondering if I am able to get Dolby True HD out of my amp or would I need a Amp that supports HDMI input 1.3 ??

Little confused on how good my Amp will work with Tue HD. Am I setup the best I can be to get this new Audio format or will I need another Amp upgrade ?

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

Kev12

How you've got it set up will work, an HDMI cable would be better though, if only for neatness and convenience. Thats if your amp has an HDMI input, I know the AX4ASi does, not sure if yours does.
Then get Superman returns and change between DD+ and True HD and the difference is easy to hear.

lazymatt

AFAIK there's no amp capable of decoding Dolby True HD via HDMI out yet, so you have it hooked up the best way you can.

Kev12

AFAIK there's no amp capable of decoding Dolby True HD via HDMI out yet, so you have it hooked up the best way you can.

Thought the player did the decoding and sent the LPCM to the amp?
I'm certain that I'm getting True HD (and DD+), from my E-1 to the 5200.
Whatever, it sounds 5 times better than Dolby digital 5.1

lazymatt

I'll be honest - I've not researched this myself, as I don't have the equipment, and don't fully understand it, but I quote from What Hi Fi talking about the PS3:

"....first Blu Ray player we've seen with an HDMI 1.3 output, giving if the ability to send Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby True HD from it's HDMI output - although we've not (yet) got any way of decoding that audio."

It will send PCM as well over HDMI, but this is I guess different.

They make similar comments about the 360 HD DVD add on and the Tosh XE1.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Thought the player did the decoding and sent the LPCM to the amp?
I'm certain that I'm getting True HD (and DD+), from my E-1 to the 5200.
Whatever, it sounds 5 times better than Dolby digital 5.1

Yep dead right!
Me too getting TrueHD and DD+......love it.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
PS3 and BR/HD-DVD players can send either bitstream or PCM to an amp, no amps currently accept the HD audio bitstreams (other than one now released in USA i believe, Denons being first over here i think in a month or so), but amps with HDMI inputs that can accept multi channel PCM can get the HD audio in uncompressed PCM form......essentially there is no difference between the player decoding and the amp decoding.....although there will most likely be differences once different price range equipment is out....however i understand HD-DVD players will have to do the decoding anyhow because of the advanced authoring thingy (forget the details, to do with the layered commentary tracks etc)...

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom