1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I not Happy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am, very! The reason for this is that after not using my Projector since Saturday due to me decorating and carpet fitting in Home cinema room, I finally got it all hooked up again last night. Even though there is room for improvement which will happen tomorrow, the picture was better than I remembered it. Maybe due to me adjusting the contrast and brightness as suggested elswhere on the forum.

Can't wait to get some proper chairs in the room and sit down with a beer or three to re-watch all my DVD's.

As you can tell, I'm quite bored at work. If anyone has anything interesting to share then please reply!

Cheers

Nick

2. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing like being "forced" to re-watch all your movies:D
    Henry
    PS Can I get a job like yours Nick?

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's no fun having nothing to do!!!

I might go home early and watch a film!!!

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or get a dvd drive into your pc at work :)

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if only we could. The company have installed a few games for us to play but no DVD drives! The current craze in unreal tournament accross the LAN.

I can always pop out into the cenre of Leeds and get my Christmas shopping done, but it's 5 weeks too early for that

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wot no laptops?

we've had some half decent ones wander across our desk and they just happen to match the delivery days of tomb raider and planet of the apes from pay247.

playback was damm good.

Plus for some strange reason we had a CD drive replaced in a Hp-UX unix server, and they replaced it with a DVD drive!

Does anybody know of a movie player for unix?

7. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of get your drift Nick, I'd just like to stay still for 60 seconds once in a while :)
    Get that projector warmed up and go for it!
    Henry

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be less bored today, Leave work at 3:00 and rush home to let Rolan tinker with my Projector! It's final set up day and I should get some big impovements in picture quality. Then it'll just be a weekend of film watching. Punctuated by a birthday pparty on saturday.

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Nick.
    I only have 1 hour 49 minutes to wait!;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D

10. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, early start for Roland then, unless he was up North yesterday too. Hope his eyes arn't too tired by 4:00!

Everything is coming together well, hopefully be ready to impress friends and realatives over chrimbo.

If you can drag yourself away from the pj before 3:00 post a thread on how it looks, I'm leaving work at 3:00.

I'm in a good position of 'our lass' going straight out from work tonight, so I can have a night of indulgence without being made to feel guilty about ignoring her.

Cheers

Nick

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just be aware that I also monitor the forum and would like to see Roland sometime this week!
    I have Bridget Jones diary begging to be watched and need our projector running at it's best for Saturday night.
    And please do not tell him that there is plenty of time to go Christmas shopping!!

Wife of B4
    :devil:

12. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose it's a bit like a builder or decorator, they're always so busy doing work for others they nearly never get round to sorting their own stuff out!

Surely a film like Brigit Jones would look ok on a small TV?

We'll send him back with a nice northern accent and a flat cap, don't worry. If he can fit it in, he can have a ferret and a Whippet too!

Plenty of shopping days until christmas yet! A good 4 weeks before we have to worry about buying pressies!

Nick

13. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Did actually watch Bridget Jones last night on TV - but it will be sweet revenge to drool over Colin Firth after suffering Tomb Raider last week!
    :D :D

Wife of B4

14. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never seen what women find attractive about Colin Firth?

I don't actually think Angelina Jolie is the right woman for the job, seems too tall and angular. But I won't pass too much judgemen until I've seen the film.

15. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Actually Nick I think you need to get out more!

16. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Angular"
    Very little doubt in my mind there.
    Henry

17. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

18. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I fed the pigeons with the stuff you gave me. Let me know when they get back. ;)

Best I don't comment on Angelina at all.

19. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Nick.
    Sorry i didn't post before you left work. We were very busy!.

Roland has done me proud!.

I should apologise to Roly, as i never really gave him much feedback during the tweaking session. I am on nights and was Fu........shattered!. After he had left, i settled in to watch a couple of demo DVDs. Its strange but the picture looked so much better once Roland had gone!:D
    No this is not a slur on Roland, maybe its because i could sit in my normal place/position etc.

The wife came up to watch with me.

Every film clip we watched seemed so much better. I was not sure how much better Roland was going to get it. But its spot on. The couple of picture issues i had were eradicated.

To quote from the Fifth Element. "For want of a better would.....Perfect!"

I didn't even need to point things out to her!. She would comment on this, then that!. One amazing bit she pointed out was in Gladiator. When Russel bends down to pick up the arrow head(in the arena). The flesh tones in the shaded part of his hand are now there, including the wrinkles/ridges at the bottom of his thumb joint.
    Disc after disc was tried, with similar results.
    Dinosaur looked the same(if not better!) as i remember from the Cine7 at the event!. So mission accomplished then.

And i will not even get into the black levels/contrast on offer, except to say "Velvet/Diamonds".

One bad disc did show up though. And i would like to hear from anybody who has the Region "2" of "The Grinch".
    This disc looked awful. The colours were washed out and muted. Dark scenes were alive with black crawlies/mpeg artifacts etc. I was a little stunned as i imagined this type of film would be very colourful/vibrant.

Jenz:
    It was your setup that got me thinking about a Barco808s. With your comments on how good things could be!. I thank you!
    I will race you to a 1209!!! (just kidding)

20. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First things first, I might be wrong, Angelina might bee the best woman for the job. I'll let you know once I've seen the film.

Paul,

I know what you mean, I've got things set up a lot better since Rolands visit, Running at a bit under 1280x720, I think about 668p or something. It looks great, and no discerable loss of detail. Infact the whole image is a lot sharper. I think most of the extra sharpness is due to the focusing Roland did and the other tweaking.

The colours are a lot better with proper colour balancing, infact it is superb. I'm going to have a real proper play this week, I might even get round to watching a whole film!!!!

Cheers

Nick

21. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its amazing how much time is spent tweaking (playing) as opposed to actually watching a movie. Hopefully now I won't need to do so much fidddling around now that Roland the great has done his stuff. (as if he needs any more adulation!)

Thanks Roland.

22. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that!

23. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, got Tomb Raider last night and watched the first scene, she looks pretty good and I think she was the right choice.

Now we just need to work out why she married that middleaged hill-billy!

This thread proves women have strange taste! Colin Firth and Billy-Bob thornton?

Us men will be fancying vera duckworth and anne robinson if we're not carefull!

24. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Whats wrong with Anne Robinson?
    I personally find her very attractive
    She really comes to life on a 7ft screen :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.