Am I missing the point here?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by The Dark Horse, Feb 4, 2009.

1. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    Hi all

Thanks to davepuma for your help regarding help for my tv/hd/ps3 setup. I have bought the cables you said and it all works great :)

My question may seem stupid but why do I need the switch? I may be missing the point but my mate has a similar setup to me and doesn't have a switch. Even the sky engineer asked why i needed a switch because he said the surround sound would get work via the hdmi lead?

So my question is what benefit am I getting by having optical leads and switch box, and could the same result be got another way?

I have a Sony W4500 tv
    PS3
    Sky HD
    Sony DZ260 home cinema (dvd)

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    SKY HD is HDMI out but ONLY stereo so you need a optical cable from the SKY box to the Sony surround.
    PS3 HDMI to TV, optical to Sony Surround.
    TV has optical out (freeview sound)? so optical to Sony Surround. If required?
    Therefore a three way switch is required to take these sources and input to your only one optical input you have on the Sony surround.

Connect anyother way you you have stereo.

Your TV as with all other TV's will NOT pass 5.1 from HDMI to its optical output.

3. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    You need the switch if you want to connect more than one optical cable to your DZ260 (Sky and PS3).

In order to get 5.1 sound from sky you have to use the optical connection to the amp, as SKYhd doesn't output 5.1 over HDMI only stereo. PS3 is capable of 5.1 over HDMI, but your amp won't accept this, so again you need to make a optical connection to the amp (not via TV) for 5.1 from PS3.

Connecting both the PS3 and SkyHD via HDMI to your TV and then TV to 260 via optical will only result in stereo sound (Your TV cannot switch 5.1 thru it).

4. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    oh ok, thanks for the replies. That makes sense now