Am I missing something?

kalel1971

Novice Member
Reaction score
At this very moment, I’m typing from the floor while I have my head pressed up against my speakers switching between inputs and I hear NOTHING coming out of my bottom three woofers. Here’s my setup:
Piega 711 coax series loudspeakers
(They have 5 woofers)
Hegel 590 amp

my question is: it sounds ok to me BUT are all woofers supposed to be engaged while listening? Am I missing something? It’s clear that sound comes out of the top square tweeter and the next two round woofers but it seems that the bottom 3round woofers are silent.
I know this is a dumb question, but any clarification would help immensely. These were my father’s speakers and I got them wi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 77
At this very moment, I’m typing from the floor while I have my head pressed up against my speakers switching between inputs and I hear NOTHING coming out of my bottom three woofers. Here’s my setup:
Piega 711 coax series loudspeakers
(They have 5 woofers)
Hegel 590 amp

my question is: it sounds ok to me BUT are all woofers supposed to be engaged while listening? Am I missing something? It’s clear that sound comes out of the top square tweeter and the next two round woofers but it seems that the bottom 3round woofers are silent.
I know this is a dumb question, but any clarification would help immensely. These were my father’s speakers and I got them wi
Firstly .. they are not the 711's in the photo.. the 711's had 4 bass units..
You are showing the C40 ... which had 5 drivers.. with the bottom 3 there solely as PASSIVE radiators :)

Hope that helps to explain the lack of hearing them. they are dummy speakers just there to double up the air movement

How do you not know what speakers you own?!

Holy Cow - $35k speakers !!!!

Brochure says they have two woofers and three passive radiators (presumably the top two are the woofers, the bottom three PRs). The PRs replace the bass reflex port you often find on floor standing speakers, the PRs provide something part way between bass reflex and closed and remove any port chuffing from the sound, they can also be tuned by adding mass to the rear of them, much like changing the length of the port tube. You will have to crank the volume up pretty loud to see the PRs move (90+ db I would expect) and use a song with lots of sub 100hz content.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom