1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Garfield, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just acquired what I consider a decent set of speakers (Acoustic Energy Aesprit - 309 Fronts, 300 Rears and 307 Centre) but I declined the opportunity for the matching sub.

Now tell me if I am wrong but the manufacturer claims the 309's I got for the fronts are good down to 37Hz, the 300's good down to 40Hz ... the sub is only reported good down to 48Hz ....

I thought the sub was there to fill the gap between the mains and as close to or below 20Hz as it can get with perhaps a little overlap.

Am I wrong then looking for a sub that can perform significantly lower than 37Hz ?

Are subs measured different - or do they assume the listeners are so dim they won't notice the sub doesn't get any lower than the mains but simply makes lots of noise and masks its shortcomings .......

2. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo there Garfeild...

My top recommendations look at another sub bass speaker that will go down to around 20Hz to 25Hz, also if you where to place two sub bass speaker side by side, you will double the size of the cone maximise the SPL level extension of the low frequency range, and if the budget is AOK then that’s my honest opinion. :thumbsup:

Also if the subs where placed each one side of the front, and if the pre outputs on your AV receiver as stereo sub bass outputs then connect them and divert the centre and surrounds on to it. :thumbsup:

Any way hope you find a sub bass that goes down low and with the ability to play at, high sound pressure levels as the demand on motion picture soundtracks today are increasing to highs of excellence… :thumbsup:

A sub bass is paramount do not send the LFE to the main as this can over power and curse problems; send the LFE channel to the sub bass.

On my home cinema set-up I’m running to sub bass speakers, a small Eltax A 12-R with a 12in bass driver 250watts frequency down to 40Hz SPL max 107dbC. :)

And one JBL 4645 professional cinema application 18in 600watts frequency down to 18Hz 126dbC max. :thumbsup: :clap:

This is what you need dynamics….

Ashley…

3. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking vry hard at some MJ Acoustic Reference Subs - trying now to decide how big it needs to be for my room ... about 15x6 metres ...

4. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just popped over to the web and had a look at some of the MJ subs look nice. :thumbsup:
    Go for two if you can first impressions are important as two will impress you, very much, and don’t get distracted by the salesman; saying why? Do you need two… go for it…. :thumbsup:

Ashley…