1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Missing Something ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by technojunkie, Feb 25, 2005.

1. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've recently got back into AV and purchased an Arcam AVR300. The problem is that I am very disappointed with the overall surround sound performance of most films and only films with DTS seem to bring the system alive.

I'm using the AVR300 in 5.1 format only. I have recently tried all of the Star Wars Trilogy and Top Gun. All of these films encode in Dolby Digital only on my system and do not sound OK but not great. However, Master & Command and The Return Of The King both play in DTS and sound excellent.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Any helpful comments would be much appreciated. :confused:

2. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got compression on? That affects only DD, so DTS still sounds good with it. And DTS usually always sounds better, with some exceptions. Have you calibrated your set right, subwoofer also?

3. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Compression is definetly off !

I calibrated the system using the AVR300 Test Tone as I don't have access to an SPL meter. The strange this is that I couldn't get a test tone out of the Sub-Woofer. Is this normal due to the low frequency ?
    The room I have the system in is 15 foot by 21 foot so there is a lot of space to fill with sound.