Quantcast

Am I missing something with OnePlus?

wass1985

Banned
I am interested in these devices as I think the OS looks great, they are lauded for thier affordability but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I got my P20 Pro for £33 per month a couple of year ago and I'm sure it was more expensive than any OnePlus phone at launch. Why am I seeing monthly deals for the OnePlus phones that are just as high as more expensive sets from other brands?

I thought the big draw for this brand was top specs for cheap costs?

sagaris99

I am interested in these devices as I think the OS looks great, they are lauded for thier affordability but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I got my P20 Pro for £33 per month a couple of year ago and I'm sure it was more expensive than any OnePlus phone at launch. Why am I seeing monthly deals for the OnePlus phones that are just as high as more expensive sets from other brands?

I thought the big draw for this brand was top specs for cheap costs?
What models are you comparing agaist?

OnePlus certainly started aiming to offer flagship specs at lower prices, and to some extent they still do. OP2, OP4, OP6T and now a OP7TPro owner. All bar the 7T pro genuinely offered an incredible package for the price, and now they're established in the market, I had no issue paying more for their flagship phone model. The 7T is effectively the same phone for a decent bit cheaper - really, it's mostly unchanged from the 7 and the 6T.

wass1985

Banned
What models are you comparing agaist?

OnePlus certainly started aiming to offer flagship specs at lower prices, and to some extent they still do. OP2, OP4, OP6T and now a OP7TPro owner. All bar the 7T pro genuinely offered an incredible package for the price, and now they're established in the market, I had no issue paying more for their flagship phone model. The 7T is effectively the same phone for a decent bit cheaper - really, it's mostly unchanged from the 7 and the 6T.
Just other top models such as the P30 Pro and Xperia 1 and such, it is in fact more expensive from what I've found. Yes I read the 7T Pro is basically only a slight upgrade on the 7 Pro.

sagaris99

Just other top models such as the P30 Pro and Xperia 1 and such, it is in fact more expensive from what I've found. Yes I read the 7T Pro is basically only a slight upgrade on the 7 Pro.
Hmmm I mean it's there or there abouts
The P30 Pro arguably aims at the 7T

Don't forget the 7Pro/7TPro is different from the 7/7T

The Sony I'm seeing at £849?

I think it's a reflection in popularity - they've bcome more popular, hence they can charge more - don't like it, I worry they're abandoning why people bought them, but I can understand why

By all accounts, something like the 6T/OP7 is still good by modern specs and relatively cheap

wass1985

Banned
Hmmm I mean it's there or there abouts
The P30 Pro arguably aims at the 7T

Don't forget the 7Pro/7TPro is different from the 7/7T

The Sony I'm seeing at £849?

I think it's a reflection in popularity - they've bcome more popular, hence they can charge more - don't like it, I worry they're abandoning why people bought them, but I can understand why

By all accounts, something like the 6T/OP7 is still good by modern specs and relatively cheap
The Pro was still cheaper than £700 on release so I still can't understand how contracts on the set are more expensive than the likes of the P30 Pro?

sagaris99

The Pro was still cheaper than £700 on release so I still can't understand how contracts on the set are more expensive than the likes of the P30 Pro?
Only thing I can think of is a special deal at supplier level between Huawei and the network provider

I'm interested, can you post a couple links?

wass1985

Banned
Only thing I can think of is a special deal at supplier level between Huawei and the network provider

I'm interested, can you post a couple links?
God knows but you would think you would find better deals on the cheaper OnePlus when in fact you can get better deals on the P30 Pro.

What are you interested in?

sagaris99

God knows but you would think you would find better deals on the cheaper OnePlus when in fact you can get better deals on the P30 Pro.

What are you interested in?
The retailers offering different prices and how much more the OP is- reason I ask is maybe just to annoy myself now that I've bought probably ( :laugh:) , as I was choosing between the P30 Pro, 7T Pro, S10 5g and Xiaomi 9T Pro. When I was shopping around at the beginning of Jan, there was bugger all differenceI could see in contrac prices, so I would up buying it outright and settling for a haggle on the SIMO contract.

It may be that OP are consciously trying to leave the budget market behind and see a gap in the middle of the market to slide into - premium phones with premium prices, but less than the Samsungs and iPhone's.

Speaking to a Huawei rep colleague around December time, he mentioned that Huawei were consciouslly trying to offload more units through different measures to salvage some reputation - if this is true, who knows, but I can see the logic

wass1985

Banned
The retailers offering different prices and how much more the OP is- reason I ask is maybe just to annoy myself now that I've bought probably ( :laugh:) , as I was choosing between the P30 Pro, 7T Pro, S10 5g and Xiaomi 9T Pro. When I was shopping around at the beginning of Jan, there was bugger all differenceI could see in contrac prices, so I would up buying it outright and settling for a haggle on the SIMO contract.

It may be that OP are consciously trying to leave the budget market behind and see a gap in the middle of the market to slide into - premium phones with premium prices, but less than the Samsungs and iPhone's.

Speaking to a Huawei rep colleague around December time, he mentioned that Huawei were consciouslly trying to offload more units through different measures to salvage some reputation - if this is true, who knows, but I can see the logic
So what phone did you end up getting in the end and what did you pay for it?

If the price of the handset is the same which is lower than it's rivals, yet monthly contracts are just as much if not more then surely that's not on them? It's the likes of EE we should be upset with?

sagaris99

So what phone did you end up getting in the end and what did you pay for it?

If the price of the handset is the same which is lower than it's rivals, yet monthly contracts are just as much if not more then surely that's not on them? It's the likes of EE we should be upset with?
I bought 7T Pro from JL at 659 when they had it discounted in Jan for a while. i worked out at the time that with contract, three would sting me for 759 over the course of the term. What doesn't help is that I'm a sucker for new tech, and want the freedom to change my phone as and when I want to, not have to wait until I'm out of contract.

Looking at the others i was considering, paying for it over the contract meant I would pay between 15-20% more than rrp.

I suppose yes, the network providers are maybe a touch too greedy. They need to make a profit of course, but I agree, charging more for a phone that is cheaper rrp doesnt make sense. there will be differences in cost pricing, but not to that extent.

wass1985

Banned
I bought 7T Pro from JL at 659 when they had it discounted in Jan for a while. i worked out at the time that with contract, three would sting me for 759 over the course of the term. What doesn't help is that I'm a sucker for new tech, and want the freedom to change my phone as and when I want to, not have to wait until I'm out of contract.

Looking at the others i was considering, paying for it over the contract meant I would pay between 15-20% more than rrp.

I suppose yes, the network providers are maybe a touch too greedy. They need to make a profit of course, but I agree, charging more for a phone that is cheaper rrp doesnt make sense. there will be differences in cost pricing, but not to that extent.
I just don't get that logic though. If you buy the phone outright without a contract then surely you end up paying much more when you add a sim plan to it?

Mevlock

I just don't get that logic though. If you buy the phone outright without a contract then surely you end up paying much more when you add a sim plan to it?

Why would it?

Usually it's cheaper.

When you buy a phone on contract you usually pay full rrp and interest on top. Your basically taking the phone out via a loan. So on contract the hardware side is going to be more expensive alone.

For the sim there are a ton of cheap sim only deals out there.

I bought my OnePlus 7T Pro for £699 via Amazon.

The cheapest current deal for the phone on contract that I can see is £45 per month with £29 up front. From Three. A 24 month contract, so that works out as £1109, with 4gig of data per month and unlimited texts and messages.

Buying from Amazon plus a £10 per month sim from Giffgaff (6 gig per month) works out as £939.

A saving of £170. So cheaper and more data each month.

This is why I always buy my phones outright.

EDIT: Just to add of course it really depends on what phone your buying, quite often phones will be subsidized in order to tie you into a contract.

Last edited:

wass1985

Banned
Why would it?

Usually it's cheaper.

When you buy a phone on contract you usually pay full rrp and interest on top. Your basically taking the phone out via a loan. So on contract the hardware side is going to be more expensive alone.

For the sim there are a ton of cheap sim only deals out there.

I bought my OnePlus 7T Pro for £699 via Amazon.

The cheapest current deal for the phone on contract that I can see is £45 per month with £29 up front. From Three. A 24 month contract, so that works out as £1109, with 4gig of data per month and unlimited texts and messages.

Buying from Amazon plus a £10 per month sim from Giffgaff (6 gig per month) works out as £939.

A saving of £170. So cheaper and more data each month.

This is why I always buy my phones outright.

EDIT: Just to add of course it really depends on what phone your buying, quite often phones will be subsidized in order to tie you into a contract.
Yes and that's where I can't get my head around that particular contract, for a handset of that price you should expect at least 20GB and a free phone for £40+ per month.

If you go on a normal contract you won't find a sim free deal with 20+GB for anything like £10 per month?

wass1985

Banned
My current contract is 30GB, from what I've found to match or better that with EE the cheapest sim only deal is £25 per month. To buy the phone outright and use this plan for 2 years then you are paying a total of £1,299. Yeah cheaper alright.

Mevlock

Yes and that's where I can't get my head around that particular contract, for a handset of that price you should expect at least 20GB and a free phone for £40+ per month.

If you go on a normal contract you won't find a sim free deal with 20+GB for anything like £10 per month?

To be honest I'm not sure what kind of deals you can get these days, I always buy my phone outright and get a sim only deal that fits my needs, I don't need anything near 20gig per month for data. My phones always last me AT LEAST 3 years too. Often longer.

But what do you mean by "free" phone?

On a 24 month contract at £45 per month that's a total of £1080. The phone itself is around £700. No company is going to give you the phone at those prices for "free". So I'm not sure what you mean here.

Mevlock

My current contract is 30GB, from what I've found to match or better that with EE the cheapest sim only deal is £25 per month. To buy the phone outright and use this plan for 2 years then you are paying a total of £1,299. Yeah cheaper alright.

Well yeah but you can't get this particular phone from EE AND your specifying EE only AND you need 30gig per month.

If you have specific needs and don't want a certain phone you might very well find cheaper options elsewhere.

I'd be interested however in how much an equivalent phone from EE with 30gig per month data would cost.

wass1985

Banned
Well yeah but you can't get this particular phone from EE AND your specifying EE only AND you need 30gig per month.

If you have specific needs and don't want a certain phone you might very well find cheaper options elsewhere.

I'd be interested however in how much an equivalent phone from EE with 30gig per month data would cost.
You can get more expensive phones than the OnePlus with more data for less than £45 per month with EE.

I expect at least 30GB now, I got my P20 Pro with 30GB for £33 per month with EE and I think I only put £70 upfront.

wass1985

Banned
To be honest I'm not sure what kind of deals you can get these days, I always buy my phone outright and get a sim only deal that fits my needs, I don't need anything near 20gig per month for data. My phones always last me AT LEAST 3 years too. Often longer.

But what do you mean by "free" phone?

On a 24 month contract at £45 per month that's a total of £1080. The phone itself is around £700. No company is going to give you the phone at those prices for "free". So I'm not sure what you mean here.
By free phone I mean no upfront costs.

Mevlock

You can get more expensive phones than the OnePlus with more data for less than £45 per month with EE.
Have you got an example? I can't find anything online. The 30gig data allowance seems to hugely impact the monthly cost for any relatively high end phone from EE. Even for cheaper phones.

Mevlock

There straight away, a more expensive phone in the P30 Pro as well.
Can't deny that's a great price. EE is no good for me but even on O2 you can get it for £34 with 45 gigs!

It's not a phone I would buy but still a fantastic deal.

EDIT: You can buy it outright from amazon for less than the OnePlus but not by much at all and the contract deal is still easily better value.

Last edited:

wass1985

Banned
Can't deny that's a great price. EE is no good for me but even on O2 you can get it for £34 with 45 gigs!

It's not a phone I would buy but still a fantastic deal.

EDIT: You can buy it outright from amazon for less than the OnePlus but not by much at all and the contract deal is still easily better value.
That's why point, why is the OnePlus monthly deals so much more expensive when the handset is around the same as the P30 Pro and certainly cheaper than the Xperia 1 where I've also found better deals.

Mevlock

That's why point, why is the OnePlus monthly deals so much more expensive when the handset is around the same as the P30 Pro and certainly cheaper than the Xperia 1 where I've also found better deals.
It depends on why you want the phone.

A major selling point is easy rooting and installation of custom roms.

OnePlus phones aren't locked down the way other manufacturer phones are. There's also a very large community of developers for their phones.

That's why my last two phones have been OnePlus. Easy root is a must for me as is custom rom support. I wouldn't buy an Xperia or Huawei for these reasons. A custom rom can extend the life of a phone for YEARS.

Plus when I bought it 5 months ago the deals where around a similar price. Altough that's a bit of an asumption from me given I only checked the standard deals available on EE's own website at the time (they were way more than they are now). At that point in time is was the best phone available with my required feature set. I don't have a need for 30gig data allowance so if was ideal for me.

If none of that is important then yeah there's no reason to buy one right now to be honest.

wass1985

Banned
It depends on why you want the phone.

A major selling point is easy rooting and installation of custom roms.

OnePlus phones aren't locked down the way other manufacturer phones are. There's also a very large community of developers for their phones.

That's why my last two phones have been OnePlus. Easy root is a must for me as is custom rom support. I wouldn't buy an Xperia or Huawei for these reasons. A custom rom can extend the life of a phone for YEARS.

Plus when I bought it 5 months ago the deals where around a similar price. At that point in time is was the best phone available with my required feature set. I don't have a need for 30gig data allowance so if was ideal for me.

If none of that is important then yeah there's no reason to buy one right now to be honest.
I fancied one because it has great specs at a supposed much cheaper price but that clearly is not the case. I am not phone loyal tbh but I will not pay much more than I already do.

Mevlock

I fancied one because it has great specs at a supposed much cheaper price but that clearly is not the case. I am not phone loyal tbh but I will not pay much more than I already do.
I'm very much the same to be honest, if I was on contract I would refuse to pay much more than £30 per month.

I'm just not much of a "phone" person, I use mine a lot but I don't NEED one, I just like to tinker and have a hand held computer really.

OnePlus USED to be cheap for what they are but as their feature set has increased so has their price. These days it's the easy root and custom rom support that means it still has a substantial fan base.

But if your happy with any manufacturer and just use your phone as it comes there are better deals out there.