Am I missing something? Streaming

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Boostrail, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    OK I can stream stuff from my (All Android!) Tablet, Smartphone or Sons Smartphone to my 2 Smart TV's and All-in-One 3d BRD Home theater system. (no Apple TV, Roku etc required). My son can stream stuff from his smartphone to my tablet, vice versa appears to be possible but not yet tried.

However I cannot seem to find a way to bring our PC's into the loop either streaming from PC to other device or streaming from other device to PC.

All are on same wireless N network.(When my son is visiting!)

Most info I find says that I need to load a "Media Server" onto our PC's. I must confess I do not see why this is necessary? Furthermore the free Media servers recomended all get stamped on by my anti-virus and anti-malaware monitors.

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So you want to stream from your PC to devices.... well that uses something called DLNA usually and yes you do need a DLNA media server. If you don't have something serving up the data, well it ain't going to happen. Plenty of DLNA media servers that don't and aren't a security risk so your virus / malware software shouldn't freak out.

Serviio for example is free, works very well and works with common security packages.

If you want to play files from one PC to another then no you don't need a DLNA server, you just need a network with open shares.

I think you'd need to be a bit more specific about your requirements to go beyond this general advise.

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    If your Android device has a DLNA media server, you can access that via 3 free ways via PC
    1) Windows Media Player 12
    2) VLC View->Docked Playlist->Local Network->Universal Plug n Play
    3) XBMC add media source & browse UPnP server

4) Alternatively install XBMC go to system->settings->services->UPnP and enable control of XBMC via UPnP, XBMC will now appear as a target for playback like your TV and tablets.

Outside of DLNA there are dedicated apps for accessing your content stored on the tablet/phone or sync apps which clone the contents to any PC like Sugersync for example.

4. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Firstly thanks to both for your interest.

To clarify I am interested in streaming to the PC's perhaps more than streaming from ..but an open easy to use 2 way connection would be great. Also this relates to streaming from any active device on my home wifi network to any other device on this network.

Fully aware of DLNA thanks but thought this was a background protocol inherent in streaming?

Servio was one of the media server freebies I tried and it threw up so many warnings from firstly AVG and Malaware bytes but secondly on other PC(laptop) with MacAfee and Malaware bytes I gave upand deleted it!

Next 010 please provide more detail regarding the VLC solution.

I did explore XBMC however when downloaded to tablet the UI was gobbledeygook to me with no helpfiles. Although a "Senior" I spent my working life with cutting edge technology. So I am hardly a techno-illiterate!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Very odd, if you get Serviio from www.serviio.org its clean and safe, from third party websites ...well who knows. I've upgraded up version today to 1.3 (new release) all clean on a linux and windows PC (two servers). Are you sure the PC was 100% clean before you installed serviio ?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    This was on 2 PC's with different Antivirus S/W

Also cannot remember where but on Googling this problem when I tried this 3-4 months ago got several "avoid trojan!" links.

7. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I can confirm Serviio is clean and works well. You'd get better support on the Serviio forums if your have questions if you felt like retrying it.

8. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    I presume what your doing is pushing media stored on the tablet to the PC for playback on PC.

You install XBMC on your PC not the tablet, then use whatever way you are pushing media to the TV/BD via your tablet, XBMC should appear in the same area once you enable the settings I described.

Note that XBMC must be running on the PC for this to work there is no background service. I don't know off hand of any media player for Windows PC which makes it a UPnP/DLNA target all the time even when the app is not running.

Jriver media center for Windows is another to look at which is also a DLNA renderer so should appear alongside the other devices.

9. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Thanks
    What I want to be able to do is push media to and from 2 PC's from and to each other and Android tablets/smartphones and from the PC's direct to 2 smart TV's and a Smart All In One Home Theater System. This works from/between the Android devices and the passive smart devices. All I want to do is bring the 2 PC' s into this multiway loop.

As I said I tried XBMC on an Android Tablet but to me it appeared that this was OK for users who had been in at the start but UI was mainly incomprehensible and unexplained.

Will look at Jriver thanks

Could you please give more detail concerning the VLC route outlined in your previous post? VLC to me is by far and away the best media player but was not aware there was a streaming capability version.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  10. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    So OK I thought I'd try again. Installed servio from .org - it was a later version than that I tried a few months ago and pronto de-installed

So I find Servio in my program list with Various options . So far no antivirus or malaware:D

Open Media Browser Click on this and it asks for a password?????????????????

Read Me - read it! No help

Release notes - not relevant to user

Un install

Servio Console - Opens Status Running(in green).;)

Shows devices Android Tablet and Phone and 1 Smart TV available. All are shown with IP address and "Unrecognised device - generic DLNA profile" so without looking up IP address I dont know which is which.*:rolleyes:

The PC is not shown as a Source or Player however on either of the android devices :(

Whatever I cannot see how I can play media from Servio on the PC to any device or from device to PC- a decent helpfile would be dare I say it "helpful" (i.e. can apparently add media but where is the "play button"?)

* The Android devices recognise each other with their generic names and recognise the smart devices with their type numbers (2x Panasonic, 1xLG)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  11. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,106
    Okay let me try to explain this DLNA mess it will make sense if you take it slow & re-read this post a few times ;-), UPnP/DLNA are basically the same thing, your Android tablet is using DLNA to push media from the tablet to the smart BD/TV players.

DLNA tech
    * DMS = digital media server sits on the network providing content.
    * DMC = digital media controller which allows you to push media to any compatible device [this is what your doing with tablet to TV/BD].
    * DMR = digital media renderer, this is what a device must be [your smart TV/BD] in order to appear to the DMC.
    * DMP = digital media player, this is a DLNA media player, however be aware a device can be DMP but not DMR so it will not work with the DMC. Such a device can only access content from a DLNA server via it's own UI it cannot be controlled via tablet/PC DMC.

So if your still with me after all that;
    Serviio, Mezzmo, TVMobili are all PC DLNA DMS you can use to make content stored on PC available to other DLNA devices, use which ever suits you best.

XBMC is a DLNA DMR so it will appear like the smart TV/BD to DLNA controllers provided you install on PC and enable settings like I mentioned (use arrow keys, enter/escape to navigate);
    VLC is not much use as it is only a DMP it cannot interact unless there is a DMS running on the network that it can pull media listings from and play, it cannot push media to other DLNA players or have other DLNA controllers push to VLC.

Jriver is I believe a DMP like VLC but also a DMC I think so it might be able to push media around, see setup instructions.

DMC controller support is pretty rare on the PC, not many applications have this ability, XBMC actually does but it's still in development and as of now only works with other XBMC clients.

Windows 7/8 has Play To (right click on a file) which is DMC but it only works with media that is compatible with Windows media player 12 which is not a lot and the option wont appear on any files not compatible with wmp12.

So after all that the easy thing to do is bypass the PC in a fashion, if you install a server on the PC you can use a controller like Skifta or whatever your using currently to access media stored on the PC and push that around to any DLNA devices on the network.

Just to reiterate
    1) Install DLNA server, if you having trouble with Serviio buy Mezzmo.
    2) Install XBMC on PC and enable UPnP settings as described above.
    3) Install Skifta on tablet/phone, connect to Mezzmo and set XBMC as playback target or anything else, can be tablet, TV or BD etc.

This will give you the ability to access content stored on the PC and push to any compatible DLNA device in the network [hopefully].

Using the PC directly to push content around is not so easy, Jriver is worth a look at for that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  12. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The password is set by you in serviio console on the tab remote where it gives you the like to "open media browser". Of course you don't have to access media via that link, you could access via your smart tv menu, tablets etc... from your DLNA client.

The release notes are just that, release notes, not a guide for end users on how to setup serviio. The best place for support is the Serviio website under the support section. It has a 'getting started' section, FAQ and the a active support forum along with a wiki.

http://www.serviio.org/support

To play files shared by serviio on e.g your panasonic, you'd need to refer to your end play device e.g your panasonic manual for how it works. Serviio won't document the interface and options of all know devices, nor would any dlna server. I found this link on Youtube on how Panasonic can play media from a DLNA server :
    Panasonic VIERA - How to use DLNA and Media...
    and this one for a LG tv
    LG TV Media Player - www.art4HD.tv

If you've uninstalled and console is still running then it can't of uninstalled properly. Did you reboot after uninstalling ? Did you get any error message and selected ignore by any chance ?

Andorid devices will show up "generic DLNA profile" as they can play most video formats depending what media player app you have. The profiles for e.g LG / Panasonic are specifc to models of smart tv that have limited file format support. Serviio will transcode (convert) the files real time to a format those devices can support.

Some devices don't identify themselves in the host name, thats not Serviio or any dlna server / players fault, its the way the device is configured. You may be able to change the host name of a device so its easier to know which one it is. Or devices list the model number, so you may have to be familiar with your device models and manufactures. I'd of thought brand devices like LG and Panasonic would be clearly identifiable.

13. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    My thanks to you both NX3 and next010 vastly exceed those by merely pushing the "thanks" button!

You have given me a lot to digest and try.

Unfortunately I will not be able to do this now for about a week due to other commitments and absence from home.

I will defo come back on this thread in a week or so.

Meanwhile my thanks seem too little for your obvious interest and patience in dealing with my requirements.

Boostrail:)