• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Am I missing something, I still cant find an option to copy movies to my Elite.

evilgenius

Okay, granted im new to the 360 but I think I have discovered most of its inner workings. I don't want to leave the PC on to stream movies to my 360, is there an option Im missing. Im in the setting area and cant see anything. Managed to get the 360 working as an extender but cant see jack there either.

EDIT

Never mind, I see you cant, why on earth not? :(

Last edited:

Mensy

Distinguished Member
As far as im aware you cannot copy movies to an xbox 360.

cassius76

Never mind, I see you cant, why on earth not? :(

Microsoft do not condone piracy.. Although you can buy an external hard drive and plug it in one of the USB ports to play files.

It'll accept, MP4, WMV, DIVX, XVID movies and MP3 and WMA music and audio. (it used to play uncompressed WAV but MicroSoft removed the function for some reason :mad:)

scottish steveo

Standard Member
Microsoft do not condone piracy.. Although you can buy an external hard drive and plug it in one of the USB ports to play files.

It'll accept, MP4, WMV, DIVX, XVID movies and MP3 and WMA music and audio. (it used to play uncompressed WAV but MicroSoft removed the function for some reason :mad:)

Just to note that the external hard drive has to be FAT 32 formatted to be recognised. A usb pen drive will work fine.

The easiest way is to stream via the video library tab on the dash. Load up your PC and Windows Media Player 11, go to tools, options and library. Monitor the folders and add the directories where your movies/music/pictures are kept. Also go to the configure sharing part and allow your Xbox 360.

Restart your Xbox and if you scroll across to the Video Library it should find your PC and the directories you've added.

:)

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Copying media you have purchased is a grey area. Nobody would say ripping MP3 files from your CDs is piracy, so why should ripping a DVD you purchased be illegal.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member

But that man is a moron, he wants everyone to re-buy all your stuff because new technology has come along, not to mention that most MP3 retailers sell shody encodings that are no match for a CD ripped with a good lame encoder.

But this is OT.

I think some people would find it useful to save music and video from PCs to the 360 rather than having to stream them, and apart from the 'piracy' debate I think the main reason you can't is MS don't want to waste the resources adding a feature which is really only useful for a small minority, only a small percentage of 360 users even stream media, so those wanting to save the media would be in a minority of the minority.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Copying media you have purchased is a grey area. Nobody would say ripping MP3 files from your CDs is piracy, so why should ripping a DVD you purchased be illegal.
As far as I'm aware, CD ripping is still illegal.

In the United Kingdom, making a private copy of copyrighted media without the copyright owner's consent is illegal: this includes ripping music from a CD to a computer or digital music player.
Ripping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stupid, but true. No-one's going to get prosecuted for it, whoever was to bring that case would look stupid, but the black and white of it is it's still illegal. Let alone DVD ripping.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom