Am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by deek72, Feb 11, 2009.

1. deek72

deek72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've just bought this.
    Swordfish PlayStation 3 Controller Charging Station - cheap PS3 Peripheral - Dixons.co.uk
    I mistakenly thought I would be able to leave my pad in the charger so it would always be charged. It's just a little stand (x2) with a usb pin that you sit your pad on. Then there's a usb cable that you plug into the stand from
    the PS3.
    Whats the point? What's the difference from not having the stand/charger and just plugging your usb cable straight into the pad itself? It's not like it's mains powered so you can leave it on all the time (which I assumed it would be).
    I must be missing something or else it must surely qualify for the top ten most pointless things ever!!

2. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    It stands your pads up or allows you to charge more than one at a time? It will only work if there is power through the USB port, so if plugged into the PS3 it needs to be on. If you have something with USB ports that is always on, you could always plug it in there so you can charge

Shaz

3. Alphathon

Alphathon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Nope, you aren't missing anything there, and I would say that it almost does qualify actually, but really it's no worse than an iPod dock or something like that. It's basically designed so you can just drop your controller in to charge it rather than finding a cable and plugging it in. Unfortunatelly it is next to useless if you plug it into your PS3 as when the PS3 is off so are it's USB ports, even when in standby mode (a small oversight on sony's part). You can still plug it into almost any USB device though, and it will still charge (PCs/Macs, some PVRs etc) I don't know whether you can use it on Wiis or 360s, though it might work.

There is one final thing though. Some, but not all of these PS3 controller chargers will work if you plug them into a USB wall socket adapter (designed to charge things via USB from a wall socket). The reason for this is that the controller needs to see a device to connect to in order to charge (it doesn't just take the power from the 5v pin - it needs to realise it has been plugged in). If the one you bought acts in this way then you can just go an buy a USB wall adapter and use that. If not, it is essentially a dock shaped extension cable, so won't work. I myself have a charging dock which connects via USB, but comes bundled with a mini-USB > wall socket cable which is what I use.

I would look into it and see if yours does work like that. If you can't find the info, you could always just get the adapter anyway, they aren't very expensive, and you can use it with your other USB charged devices as well (most aren't like the PS3 controller and just detect the power is on and use it to charge. I think the reason the controller does what it does is something to do with it acting as a wired controller when plugged in to the PS3 [unlike the 360 controller with play and charge kit, which still uses wireless])

4. deek72

deek72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hey thanks you two for taking the time to give such a comprehensive answer for such a trivial question!
    You mean something like this?http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-USB-Mains-...yZ124270QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem They can be had for a couple of quid so maybe worthwhile if it will keep my pad charged (I hate it when it dies and I have to play 'wired'). But do you mean I would be able to plug my pad into the wall plug directly and bypass the charge stand or would I still need to use it?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    You'll be aable to use your useless dock with it and then it wont be useless :clap:

Simple answer: Yes you can use them together :)

6. deek72

deek72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14