Question Am I mental paying more for looks

No you're not. if i can afford it, it rather have a nice compact piece of furniture/art with a nice finish, well made good to loo at, that can do a half decent job that's not too big than a big ugly black box or a washing machine in their living room.

Yes and no - if aesthetics are important and money is no object then you can have both -sadly for most of us it's a compromise between the two.
I only wish I'd applied this logic when looking for a wife, as the current one is costly without the looks.

Well I guess there's no turning back now 😯, I completely stripped the sub down last night
IMG_20201214_191933.jpg

And I rubbed the whole thing down tonight with scotchbrite
IMG_20201215_194405.jpg

I've ordered grey speaker cloth that should be here this week, and hopefully I'll get it all painted on Sunday when I've got a full day off.
Fingers crossed it turns out nice 🤞

Bravo - Not sure I’d have the guts to attempt that? How u painting it? Spraying? And you going gloss, satin, Matt? I’m keen to see how this turns out - good luck.

Bravo - Not sure I’d have the guts to attempt that? How u painting it? Spraying? And you going gloss, satin, Matt? I’m keen to see how this turns out - good luck.
Satin white rustoleom universal spray paint, and I've got a crystal clear mat top coat that I may or may not use depending on how it looks after the satin coat. I'll likely test what the top coat looks like over the satin on some scrap wood first. Hopefully get it done this weekend and I'll post up the finished pics if it doesn't go wrong 🤞

Satin white rustoleom universal spray paint, and I've got a crystal clear mat top coat that I may or may not use depending on how it looks after the satin coat. I'll likely test what the top coat looks like over the satin on some scrap wood first. Hopefully get it done this weekend and I'll post up the finished pics if it doesn't go wrong 🤞
Oh don’t deny us the pics if it does go wrong LOL!

Good thing is I guess you can just strip and repeat (oh matron) if it isn’t to your satisfaction

Its the 'extra 2' sides wot used up the paint :)
Very nice 'hover' platform if that's what I'm seeing

Looking good so far :thumbsup:
I think it'll look the nuts when the drivers are back in!
Yeah I can't wait to get it all back together, I've not even tried it yet 🙈. It's technically a Xmas present but I really wanted it painted before putting it into my system. So I've kinda got it early to get it all done. Changing the colour of the speaker grill cloth might be quite challenging, I'm not looking forward to that bit.

Dude, I am totally, totally envious and equally in awe of your project, it’s awesome :smashin:

Did you make a note of which driver came out of which cutout ?

Yeah I can't wait to get it all back together, I've not even tried it yet 🙈. It's technically a Xmas present but I really wanted it painted before putting it into my system. So I've kinda got it early to get it all done. Changing the colour of the speaker grill cloth might be quite challenging, I'm not looking forward to that bit.
Well I hope it works now you've done all that 😅

Black grills not an option? Looks good on some subs/speakers.
Maybe you could give the grills a very light spray of the white paint, probably won't be acoustically transparent anymore, but does it need to be on a sub?🤔

Dude, I am totally, totally envious and equally in awe of your project, it’s awesome :smashin:

Did you make a note of which driver came out of which cutout ?
Thanks and Yeah I took pictures of every driver when taking them out, noted the orientation of the driver and colour of the wires etc. I doubt it makes any difference which driver goes where so long as the everything is wired correctly but I know where they all go regardless.

Thanks and Yeah I took pictures of every driver when taking them out, noted the orientation of the driver and colour of the wires etc. I doubt it makes any difference which driver goes where so long as the everything is wired correctly but I know where they all go regardless.

I would do exactly the same :smashin:

Replace driver gaskets and amplifier panel gasket
Actually, just checked all the existing gaskets. There all pretty high quality pre-formed foam/rubber ones and they all still look in perfect condition. I doubt very much I'd be able to buy the replacement real ones again, and I'd be very surprised if aftermarket ones were anywhere near is good as what's already on.
I'm thinking just leaving as is? What do ya think?

Yeah don't paint suppliers understand it isn't just Jaseamondo that they are upsetting!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom