Am I Mad

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by clarkesville, Jan 4, 2007.

1. clarkesville

clarkesville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m thinking of replacing my TH37 PV-500 for a Sony KDL-40X2000U as I have an Arcam dv139 that outputs 1080p and have read that the sony have got this LCD right
    I have Sky HD and i watch a lot of football and sport
    Help me or am i just MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Clarkesville:eek:

2. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Your mad imho :D

Do yourself a favour and get Panasonic PH9, a Pioneer 427 or a Fujitsu 58 Series.

3. clarkesville

clarkesville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you please give a reason :D

4. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Save your pennys for a bit longer and then splash out for a 1080p pioneer or panny plasma...

Looks likes the price of the pioneer one is dropping fast now...

5. clarkesville

clarkesville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any Idea when the Panny is coming out as i belive they only do a 65`pannel that outputs 1080 p

6. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
  7. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    A good plasma such as the Fujitsu 58 Series annihilates the SONY X-Series for picture quality (I've owned both). Better blacks/shadow detail, better colours, better motion, more picture depth - superior processing. The SONY is pathetic with respects to SD, has issues with colour accuracy, suffers from motion blur (loss of detail), suffers from stutter on pans (occasionally), and it simply not able to render motion and dark scenes to the quality that the Fujitsu 58 Series can.

Have also owned the Panasonic PH9. No LCD TV comes close to the black levels/dark area detail which this panel can achieve. Much better colour gradations than LCD as well, and of course better motion than you'll get on an X-Series display.

Not owned a Pioneer 427 as yet, but auditioned/viewed it on a number of occasions. Seems to have good image processing, and there is no doubt the 7th generation Pioneers have very good colour processing (better than the Panasonic plasma's imho - Pioneers seem to have better colour accuracy and suffers very much less from colour banding).

None of the above displays are without their faults, but will all outclass the SONY X Series for picture quality imho (despite being only 1024x768 resolution displays).

The Fujitsu is of course the king at present. One good demo of this plasma and you'll realise just how poor the SONY is in comparison.

all imho of course

8. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Fujitsu also have a 1080p 50" plasma coming out soon. Although it will cost in the region of (from memory) £8,000.

Hitachi are bringing a 1920x1080 42" plasma onto the market this year, although its based on ALiS technology!!

I was told by my local Pioneer dealer a number of months back, that Pioneer has a 42" 1080p panel in the works - estimated to cost around £4,500 when it hits the market. Have to say, that I have not found anything thus far to back up this claim. Although as far as I am aware it was the Pioneer representitive who told him, and a pre-liminary date of March 2007 was suggested. I would not hold your breath on this one.

9. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    I Bet it be much lower then that £4.500 now...when /if it comes to market...

I be happy if there 8th gen 42" is even 1365x768...(But then again i must likely have a pioneer 50" plasma by then anyway..)

10. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yes, that conversation was around about August if I recall correctly. Panel prices (both LCD and Plasma) have clearly dropped sharply in the last few months (most notably since Sept.2006 imho). And of course some feel that prices will plummet further this year. Not so sure thats good news imho, as quality is likely to suffer as the likes of quality brands such as Pansonic, Pioneer etc. try to compete with the Korean giants such as Samsung, LG etc.

It would be a nice surprise if Pioneer did bring out a 42" 1080p plasma within the £3,500 price range - and yet still maintain the quality of processing/colour reproduction etc. associated with the 436 and 427. Must confess I think such a panel will not emerge until 2008 (loved to be proved wrong though).

11. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    So it's basically 576i that the DVD player is struggling to upscale to 1080p in the first place and then you want to kick it when it's down by watching it on an LCD?

ooooo k ;)

It is the best LCD you can get though.

12. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    Just because your DVD player can output 1080p you want to change your screen?

If you do have to change, my recommendation would be the Fujitsu 58" series or you could go for a 1080p projector (i.e. the Sony Pearl).....what's the budget btw?!