1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i mad for nad?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by add, Mar 28, 2005.

1. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the situation....

I have:
    Mission 782 - fronts
    780 - rears
    78c - centre
    78as - sub

Nad t741 - av
    Nad t514 - cd
    Nad t550 - dvd

I'm an 80-20 guy music-movie with a love for the round sound of Nad/Arcam/Cambridge audio so none of you denon at a push/marantz/sony whitterings if you please, if I wanted to lsiten to something in a "church" or "hall" effect I'd stick my head in a dustbin and then put on a cd.

Please don't tell me my sub etc isn't musical, I like the sound it makes and am happy with my speakers, QED silver anniversary bi-wired all round does the trick.

But what is causing me a niggle, are the current offerings from the outside world, damn RS (flameproof jacket and breathing apparatus on) with Cambridge audio 540R and one of their high end dvd, DVD79 etc, and Audio T with their Arcam avr200 and DVD 89/DVD88+ deals.

I am aware that my current AV amp is rated at 50 wpc, and the past 10 days off work have really been highlighting this, although I feel the power the amp makes is well above 50wpc, heck sounds more like 70wpc to me, but I'm uncouth so what do I know. This is where my niggle kicks in. Read on intrepid audio enthusiast my ramblings may cease soon.

The Arcam offering from Audio-t - avr200 and DVD88+/89 is around 700 quid, with trade in offering for my nad stuff, while RS's offering of the CA 540R and DVD79 is around 500. The CA 540R I've read worry stories concerning 1 second missing from track intro's, dodgy amps blowing up and being returned, but I've read the same about Arcam and Nad, so pinches of salt all round on the build quality/reliability front.

Does anyone think I'm mad for trading my Nad stuff in for either of the above setups?

Currently the ability to use my cd for music and dvd player for movies makes sense, but what abut the possibility of having a better quality/powered heart to the system offered by either the Arcam avr200 or CA 540R? Would the Arcam DVD88+/89 or CA DVD79 provide me with anything similar to the basic Nad cd I currently have? Or am I better sticking with my multi source setup of cd and dvd and living with the Nad amp until I can afford to step up a bit more than jsut to these Arcam/CA setups?

To round off, I love the sound I currently get, but am equaly pleased with the sound the Arcam and CA kit makes too, its a tricky one in my head to justify the effort of changing from Nad to Arcam/CA other than maybe getting a bit more power, but I'm not sure I'll get what I am looking for.

Anyone still reading? Anyone got any thoughts?

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Unless picture quality is an issue, leave the DVD player as it is.

Forget the new reciever and just add a second hand power amp as lack of power seems to be the only real issue you have.

Your sub may well be "musical", not hard when you have limited extension, but it will be lacking for the deep bass effects needed in movies. As your primary focus is music though, I wouldn't be in a great rush to change it.

Pick up a good quality 3 or 5 channel power amp from classifieds, listen to the big increase in dynamic range and control then smile and be happy :)

3. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading all about power amps all morning, great minds......

Anyone got power amp suggestions, I've read a fair bit about Nad power amps and matching power amps to my receiver would have to be Nad for consistence with the same sound seems the way to go. Nad power amps, nice.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you are determined to stick with NAD there is a 2 channel C270 120 wpc power amp on hi-fi for sale. I'd say the price is a little high but I'm sure you can knock the guy down. There are many other options out there though.

Can't find any editorial reviews but there is always Audio Review

[Edit - ok maybe I can.]

5. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find that C270 you mention anywhere on this site for sale, ebay,turns up nowt, and avland.co.uk only has the newer c272 at lots more cash than you were talking about for the C270?

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's on hi-fi for sale on this page. It was advertised 2 months ago so it may be gone by now. The price is £225.

7. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the link, watching a few c370's on ebay at the moment too, decisions decisions. i think i'd rather a specific c270/c272, but a c370 would do the job too huh?

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The C370 is an integrated amp not a power amp.

9. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes its an int, rather than power, but can I not still just use it as a power amp?
    http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_C370.pdf

Sod it found a c272 advertised less than an hour away for 250, i'm sure with a haggle I could get it for 225-200 as i'm willing to drive and pick it up today.

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes you can but it's not an ideal solution plus you will probably pay more for it than for a c270.

11. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers and info provided Daneel, I had been thinking of the power amp route but had pushed it aside in favour of starting a fresh when actually why start from scratch when you can improve on the already good sound i like.

Thanks for your time and help. I'll let you know how it sounds when its all singing soon.

12. add

add
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd just like to say, I should be given more time off work just so I can immerse myself in the beautiful sound my new amp adds to my system.

I'm a power amp convert, and I'm proud.

Bring on more boxes, mono blocks, bridge 'em to the ends of the earth, more power amps, more, just more! :)

Oh, plus I upgraded my sources, and av amp yesterday in a blur of running around. Heck I should get Nad sponsorship I'm so in love with them, maybe they can pay me to get "I love Nad" tattooed on my forehead. Any nad bods reading this?