Question Am I looking at the right gaming 4ks?

ReflexReact

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 65" gaming 4k TV this weekend, but I have an older non-4k amp so I want to make sure the TV I buy has a smart hub which allows me to have all my HDMI connections run into it, and then the audio signal pushed back to my amp via optical. It looks like most mid-high end 4k TVs now have one of these hubs?

Top of my range (and only if there are some good sales) are the OLEDs; namely LG B7 and C7. I only have £2000 max budget, ideally not to spend all of it - do these have the cable management hub, and are they OK for gaming?

Mid of my range is the Samsung MU8000's. These I know do have a cable hub thingy, and I believe they're pretty good for gaming? I suspect I can pick up one of these LED TVs in 65" flavour.

Another options is the Sony KD65XE9005 - I believe this may be considered better than the MU8000? But then again it's a bit more... is it worth the extra money?

What TVs am I missing here? I'm very keen on outstanding HDR10, low input lag for gaming, and then the smart cable hub thingy!

Thanks

All TVs now will do what you are asking but you won't be getting any kind of HD audio. Plus anything PCM will be sent back as stereo only.

If you can afford the 65XE9005 Sony its a no brainer, especially if you are planning to play HDR titles. Then theres the even better Sony 65XE9305 but that may be over budget.

Anything less and you won't get decent HDR.

Sounds like I'm going to need to buy a new amp regardless then. Also sounds like the Sony is the clear winner here - although currently £1700 so pretty steep.

I see you regularly mentioning that you need to be 2m away from a 65k TV in order to appreciate 4k, and I've read your thread too. Is this actually true? My sofa is 3m back from where I intend to put my 65" TV ...

From strictly a resolution standpoint yes. If you view 3m from the screen and watch a standard blu-ray against an UHD blu-ray you won't be noticing any difference in detail.

However where more compression is involved you might notice an increase, not from resolution but because of using a more up-to-date sources that are usually higher quality. In games probably no difference that far away, you might notice less aliasing.

Ideally though you will want to view closer. My own viewing distance currently is one of the reasons why I am not upgrading.

But there are other aspects of picture quality other than resolution and with HDR you will benefit no matter how far away you view as its a technology that offers more saturated colours and higher perceived contrast...things that aren't dependant on viewing distance. So with HDR sources you benefit regardless of how far away you view.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom