1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I just unlucky?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cdave, Dec 11, 2002.

1. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

As I mentioned on a previous post, today was the day I was to take delivery of my new Sony KV36fs76. The reason I am getting it is becuase the last set I had, the KV36fs70 made an irritating noise and after some hassle it has gone back to the shop. I took a chance on Sony again even though I have read that the transformer on these 36 inchers can be noisy. (I do not believe the last set had this problem however)

Well today it arrived at 17:05. All as expected. The box did have multiple staple holes around the existing staples under the tape. Not sure why but it looked new enough inside, screws were no burred etc.

I had just tuned it in (auto tuning picked the wrong transmitter as usual) and connected sky by scart to socket 1 and found that there appears to be what I can only decscibe as a haze at times on certain scenes. It seems to show up most if something is moving accross the screen and become "mozaic". I have softend the sharpness but no real help. I did not notice this on the previous set quite so much. If ever it was on something like "POP IDOL" when there were lots of lights flashing accross the screen. It is now evident on Emmerdale. (I do not watch this, it was just on at the time, honest)

Does anyone have any suggestions about this "digitised look". To make things worse, the set I have been using temporarily, (ferguson!) does not show it either. Right now I have them side by side and feel pretty sick.

I see a lot of other people have this set so can you please give me your view. The convergence issue seems ok.

:( Dave

2. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a stab in the dark...is your Sky box set to RGB and widescreen?

I've an FS76 and I cannot fault the picture one bit. Fast moving pics will always have a certain difficulty with 100Hz and MPEG2 digital pictures but I'm not sure about the 'mozaic' you describe. Check NR and AI are off too.

May I ask if your TV, buzzes at all? Sony are investigating mine at the mo.

Matt.

3. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On some fast moving pictures Sky will tend to have a mosaic look to it as you desribe.
    I was watching something the other day and on the show it was raining,when I got closer to the screen it seemed to be entirely made up of little blocks.
    Maybe the screen size and the quality of the tv itself are just showing it up more than you have seen before,I certainly wouldnt say it was a fault as I can see the same thing on my 28 Sony but it is only 50hz so the effect is myabe not as severe as it appears on your 100hz set.
    Also dont ITV and BBC have some of the lower transmission bit rates as far as receiving them on Sky is concerned?
    I caught some football by mistake on ITV2 the other day and the pitch seemed to be made up of coloured bands with blocky edges!

4. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies,

As it happens the problem with the "mosaic" is not quite so bad. As one of you said, it may have been isolated to the programmes at the time and these one was football. My previous 36 fs70 had a similar problem with that.

As far as the buzz is concerned, I have seen other people complain about this but engineers are never that responsive. They appear to be deaf which was part of the problem with my last set. They said it was the scan coils and acceptable. Not to me it wasn't. The buzz could be the transformer and I can say this set is much better than the last. The last set turned on wth such a noise you would think it was powering the "National Grid" That probably has nothing to do with the buzz which was pretty loud on the last set and was the transformer I think. However it was there at the start and the noise I could not suffer appeared after 3/4 hours and after about 8 months use.

Back to myself, I now have a different problem. It seems the picture is too bright and no matter what I do to contrast or brightlness, the whites are always too "bright" Even on the warm setting. It is not really a pleasure to watch at all. My old set was. This seems to be the case on both terrestrial, Sky RGB/PAl setting or whatever I try. To turn down the "whites" and bright colours spoils the rest of the picture. I will let you know how I get on.

Dave

5. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dave,

See the other FS76 thread in reply to your brightness issue.

Sony have confirmed my "buzzing" (or small elf with an electric razor inside) and are gonna replace a plugable part (can't remember the name right now) I'll post if this does the trick. If not they say they'll carry on investigating.

Matt.